The Green Knight (2020)

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Right. I am saying you cant complain about minority roles being cast as white. Because whites are the global minority.

What at all does global population factor into White characters, From White Country History, Produced in white countries?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What at all does global population factor into White characters, From White Country History, Produced in white countries?
He's saying 'stop replacing us, we are the actual minorities'. He's not arguing against you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
On a real note, I have completely lost the ability for nuance or understanding internet tone. A year locked away watching the world burn has me on the offensive at all times. I need to unplug. Airisch Airisch My bad

• 1Pathetic

spronk

FPS noob
I know what it's like to lose.
To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless.
It's frightening, turns the legs to jelly.
I ask you to what end?

Dread it.
Run from it.
Destiny arrives all the same.
And now it's here.
Or should I say, Scarlet Johannsen replaced by Shaniqua and Apu.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is a very recent invention that grew out of pop-culture adaptations of other pop-culture stuff. "Looking like the character" was never a requirement of actors. This became a thing only recently when people started making out their lists of fantasy casts for comic book movies and studios started to take the comic book movies seriously.

Even then, a whole bunch of those characters look nothing like their comic book originals. Does RDJ look anything like the original Tony Stark? Not even slightly.

You pick the actor that can play the character the best. Looks is probably 20% of that. Christian Bale looked NOTHING like any iteration of Bruce Wayne, but was still either the first or second best Batman.
Basic Rathbone was specifically cast because he looked like Sherlock Holmes. That was in the first era of talking movies. This is not a new thing.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People in charge of A24. Katz, Fenkel, and Hodges.
People in charge of CBS who are in charge of anne boyelyn. Shari Redstone, wife of Yitzhak Aharon Korff.

But no lets go with the "they are just casting people who are the best we swear" bullshit.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If you're interested to know, there's a lengthy podcast with the director where he talks about his previous films, about working with Robert Redford, and about casting Dev Patel.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Even then, a whole bunch of those characters look nothing like their comic book originals. Does RDJ look anything like the original Tony Stark? Not even slightly.
Why does your side in this debate consistently pick examples that make zero sense?

RDJ is a dead ringer for comic book Tony Stark. White guy, dark hair, average build. I mean ok he had to adjust his facial hair, but thats about as relevant as hairstyle. If we're picking actors exclusively based on looks he'd be a great pick.

I think theres some brain structure difference here where one side is unable to process whether an actor looks like a character or not. I thought it was obvious and self evident, but I'm starting to consider it may be more like that additive in natural gas where some people lack the ability to smell it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I saw this trailer and have been hyped for this movie for months. I didn't think once "OMG THERE IS A BRRRUNNWWWWN Guy in this movie. Why are they genociding whitessss. I can't I can't!"

Like the majority of the people in the trailer are white anyway. There is A brown guy in the lead role. Calm down.

• 2Pathetic
  • 2Cringe
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I saw this trailer and have been hyped for this movie for months. I didn't think once "OMG THERE IS A BRRRUNNWWWWN Guy in this movie. Why are they genociding whitessss. I can't I can't!"

Like the majority of the people in the trailer are white anyway. There is A brown guy in the lead role. Calm down.

Lmao at this smoothbrain

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

To put things back into perspective, we're talking about a film from A24, who has put out some of the best movies from the past several years, directed by a guy who has nothing but good to great movies under his belt, who is a writer/director making original movies in a time when the studios pump out nothing but marvel shit and garbage, with a trailer that looks nothing short of amazing, who cast a great actor in a role from british folklore.

I hope they make a hundred more of these movies and cast the blackest, trans-est people they can find.

F206A7F3-4ADE-4A1E-AF91-B04F144E25EF.jpeg

• 1Barf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

They released this I guess intended as a primer, I dont think it shows anything new besides more specifically breaking out the characters.

• 1I Came

spronk

FPS noob
  • 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Not my fav movie ever but certainly one of the most beautiful to look at movies I've ever seen. Its a lot like this other movie Ghost Story, feels like a dream, lots of people will find it boring, lots of critics will love it. I didnt hate it the last 40 minutes were perfect but this is NOT for everyone.

• 1Like