The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I honestly don't know, after seeing the last one, if I can make it to this movie.

iannis

Musty Nester
It kinda shoulda been one movie. I dunno, this one might be ok. I doubt it's rageworthy. It'll be pretty and stuff. But at over 9 hours they've kinda overstepped what the hobbit actually is.

"At least its not Transformers 4" is just about perfect.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I was a huge Lord of the Rings film fan and the Hobbit was my favorite book as a child. The fact that I've never even bothered to see the Desolation of Smaug after watching the first Hobbit film just goes to show how completely they fucked these movies up.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was a huge Lord of the Rings film fan and the Hobbit was my favorite book as a child. The fact that I've never even bothered to see the Desolation of Smaug after watching the first Hobbit film just goes to show how completely they fucked these movies up.
And you never want to see it either. Do not rent, stream or torrent.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Loved the first one, loathed the second one, really looking forward to the 4-5 hour fan edits that will be coming out.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I loved Hobbit 1. I liked Hobbit 2 a bit less but it was still a good film. I don't think there was material to do 3 movies but I'm not complaining because it means more movies that take me into a visual universe I enjoyed reading about for many years. I'll gladly see the third and buy the bluray box with all 3 extended versions.

Too many angry people in this thread.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
rrr_img_72287.jpg

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I loved Hobbit 1. I liked Hobbit 2 a bit less but it was still a good film. I don't think there was material to do 3 movies but I'm not complaining because it means more movies that take me into a visual universe I enjoyed reading about for many years. I'll gladly see the third and buy the bluray box with all 3 extended versions.

Too many angry people in this thread.
Not Angry, just disappointed. These movies are made to put bodies in the seats, I get it, there's nothing wrong with it. The fact that it is such a huge franchise just means that the type of hobbit movie I want to see will probably never be made. That translates to disappointment on my part. This happens to a lesser extent with most vidya games I will never want to play as well.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
People have every right to be disappointed in whatever movies they choose, you can't please everyone. That said, I am old enough these days to learn to make a difference between two different versions of a thing I love. I dearly love the Hobbit book and the Lord of the Rings books and even though Tolkien is by no means the best writer out there, he created a world that I love to immerse myself into and that I can just pick up and read any time I want.

Peter Jackson made movies that I also enjoy, and while I will obviously agree that the Lord of the Rings movies are more faithful to the books than the Hobbit movies (because they had to create a lot of filler), those movies also changed a lot of things from the books, things that in some circles would be called nothing less than heresy (such as the Elves coming to help at Helm's Deep for example).

The fact that I'd think some of the changes made to the movies make it better or less good than the same part in the books does not alter my enjoyment level for the book. Just like the fact that the Hobbit movies are clearly made with a more "put bodies into the seat" spirit than the Lord of the Rings movies does not make me appreciate the book any less.

I'm just happy that a LOT of kids these days are learning about the book by seeing the movies, that they'll want to read it maybe because it just got reprinted with that nifty cover with the movie dragon on it (oooh shiny) and that it'll make them want to learn more about Tolkien's works. It will also create a bunch of merchandising for people who love statues, weapon replicas and collectibles and will all around make Tolkien's TRUE work even better known, even if you dislike the media through which it was rediscovered by these newcomers to the genre.

TL;DR : Here or in Middle-Earth, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
I'm just happy that a LOT of kids these days are learning about the book by seeing the movies, that they'll want to read it maybe because it just got reprinted with that nifty cover with the movie dragon on it (oooh shiny) and that it'll make them want to learn more about Tolkien's works. It will also create a bunch of merchandising for people who love statues, weapon replicas and collectibles and will all around make Tolkien's TRUE work even better known, even if you dislike the media through which it was rediscovered by these newcomers to the genre.

TL;DR : Here or in Middle-Earth, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Well I don't think you are wrong at all for enjoying the Hobbit movies. If that is your thing more power to you. Hell, I was even able to find a lot to like about the first one.
But, honestly, wouldn't you rather watch a movie that was at least able to stand on it's own legs without replacing narrative interest with CGI spectacle, and using bland filler plot to make it artificially longer?
At this point I have 100% accepted the fact that there won't be some gloriously reverent adaptation of Tolkien works. I don't even think there needs to be one if they could manage to make something that wasn't
a sappy, melodramatic cash grab.

It sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about the whole endeavor, but isn't it kind of an admission that the movies suck a little that we have to fall back on the "but it promotes the books, which are better!" spiel?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I felt I got my $12.50 worth from the first 2, I am looking forward to the third.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Peter Jackson made movies that I also enjoy, and while I will obviously agree that the Lord of the Rings movies are more faithful to the books than the Hobbit movies (because theychoseto create a lot of filler), those movies also changed a lot of things from the books, things that in some circles would be called nothing less than heresy (such as the Elves coming to help at Helm's Deep for example).
FTFY.

As to your post, I don't really care that people enjoy the new Hobbit movies, and their existence doesn't diminish my enjoyment(past, present, or future) of the book. I'm not raging here, I just have no real interest in seeing the films that are being marketed as Tolkien's The Hobbit and that's pretty sad considering how fine a job was done with the Lord of the Rings films and considering the original material was so strong they really had to work to fuck it up for me.

It's not hyperbole or spite or anger for me to say I'd rather watch the Rankin/Bass cartoon, it's just a fact I was that disappointed by Jackson's offering.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Rankin/Bass cartoon Smaug > Peter Jackson's Smaug. That's the only thing I like better from the cartoon than the new movies.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
First two were meh (jackrabbit powered sled) but I think this one will actually be good. He saved the best for last with the LoTR movies as well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
First two were meh (jackrabbit powered sled) but I think this one will actually be good. He saved the best for last with the LoTR movies as well.
Really? Cause I feel like the original movies got progressively worse. I mean they were still good, but Fellowship was definitely the best, and Two Towers was arguably better than Return of the King.