The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
PJ can't win with you nerds. LoTR didn't include enough and the Hobbit has included too much.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nah, my complaint has been the same for both series. I enjoyed the LOTR movies for the most part, but both those and the Hobbit movies have made such odd departures from the books. I fully acknowledge that you don't go to see a film that is the book. No complaints there. It's just why they differ as they do. This is much more pronounced in the Hobbit movies, as there is so much less book than LOTR. He made the terrible decision to make it into three films. Two would have been more than enough.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
PJ can't win with you nerds. LoTR didn't include enough and the Hobbit has included too much.
Just because I feel they got progressively worse doesn't mean I think they aren't three exceptional movies, because they are. The Hobbit movies, so far, have been far short of exceptional.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's not that at all. PJ chose to kill certain scenes which are integral to the story in order to overdevelop other scenes. Of course some redaction and reduction has to be done in order to fit a huge book into a movie. But when central characters are left out because 'we too stupid' or minor things thatcouldhave been added that are in fact 100% required for the story to function... well it just begs the question why.

The swords that the hobbits find at Weathertop were crafted by the Westernesse. RotK makes a big deal out of the fact that Merry stabbing the King of the Nazgul only accomplishes something because of the lineage of the swords. It's a big story arc of fate that ties the character arc to the back story and lineage of Gondor. It's a really subtle way to reinforce the importance of the ancestry and nobility of the humans which are basically portrayed as worthless failures the entire series.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe he felt it was too much lore that needed explaining in a movie that is already way long.

or maybe they wanted to show that women can be "empowered" so they had the princess do in the witch king herself. if a male had weakened him first it may have tainted her accomplishment.
tongue.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
i remember the homos clapping and cheering in the theater during that scene.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
No, retard, the difference is in the LOTR he left parts of the books out because if he hadn't they would've been 20 hours long each. In the Hobbit movies, he's adding shit in that was never there in the first place. Legolas was never in the Hobbit, neither was Radagast and his stupid rabbits, neither was Sauron, neither was the Benny Hill barrel chase scene down the river fighting the orcs, neither was a giant, white orc, nor was Bard the boatman who hid the dwarves and got them to Laketown, nor was about a dozen other bullshit things that PJ has created and put into the movies which serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever except to pad the movies to make them longer and shittier and stretch it into 3 films for the sole purpose of making more money. Take all that shit out, and make one great, kick ass 3 hour movie and people would have built a gold statue of him.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I have no idea how a person who is into fantasy/adventure movies could not like the LOTR/Hobbit movies... They are wildly entertaining films with very high production value. They spread the cheese on a little thick sometimes, but I don't mind that too much.

I'll definitely be seeing this in theatres, as I have all the other instalments in the series.

rad

Lord of Guk
Bunch of whiny babies, the lot of you. Deserve to have someone piss in your cereal and let you choke on the soggy mess that follows.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i have been a peter jackson fan since dead alive and the frighteners. with exception of the lovely bones his movies have been enjoyable while not always completely awesome. i still trust jackson to make a good movie. yeah three hobbit movies is a blatant cash grab, but this isnt the first time he has done that. how many versions of the lotr trilogies are floating around? 3? more? as long as people are still willing to plunk down their money for these things, i cant blame the guy for continuing to do what he's doing. i wonder if he will ever do the silmarillion or branch into other "unfilmable" adaptions such as The Dark Tower?

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I swear guys no one has a fucking gun to your head to watch these movies. The same people that disliked the first one needed to tell us all about it in the first thread. Then before and after the watched the second movie we were told at great length about how the first AND second one weren't good. And now you fucking retards are doing it again with the third.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
50 shades of grey is coming for the haters, i heard they didnt split one book into 3 movies! Rejoice!

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I swear guys no one has a fucking gun to your head to watch these movies. The same people that disliked the first one needed to tell us all about it in the first thread. Then before and after the watched the second movie we were told at great length about how the first AND second one weren't good. And now you fucking retards are doing it again with the third.
Blame Peter Jackson?
It's not our fault the Hobbit movies aren't very good.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Actually, I haven't said much of anything in this thread, and I disliked the first one. I usually try to just say it once per thread/movie whatever, and then move on. Or avoid it all together, like the anime threads. But since you're asking nicely, I'll chime in and mention how much I disliked the movies both for their content and their high-frame rate/excessive CGI. The orcs look like shit compared to the people in costumes from LoTR, and don't even get me started on the goblins.

That being said, there was plenty about them that I enjoyed too. They just aren't the movies I wanted him to make. Let alone the decision to make three of them instead of two.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I have read LotR once and the Hobbit multiple times. I have not read the other works. From my understanding, a lot (not all) of the "extra" scenes are from those other books and notes. Sure we could have two movie Hobbit, then in five years we could see a stand alone movie with these scenes and your average person would have no idea what's going on.
Isn't one of the questions most people have when they read the hobbit "where the hell does Gandalf keep going?" You're seeing it on screen. Yeah yeah go to the elf love and barrel fight and Benny hill argument if it makes you feel justified. Personally it doesn't bother me that much.
I understand that the average audience isn't like me. They don't scour the internet looking up nerdy stuff. Unfortunately, film makers have to spell shit out. Adding Legolas and Frodo makes average shitheads feel warm and fuzzy inside.
If movies like LotR andThe Hobbit make money then all the better. It will tell studios that people will go see fantasy movies and that makes ME warm and fuzzy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well yeah he added the obvious Gandalf stuff we all wanted and expected. He also added dragon chase around the mountain while building a giant golden dwarf to give Samug a nice bath.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm actually waiting for after this comes out on DVD / Blu-Ray and we start to get some fan edits.

Someone can make a really good ONE movie out of the material ( access to deleted scenes etc )

They should start a kickstarter that builds a big pool of funds that is to be used as a prize pool for the best fan edit. A big international competition.