The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

spronk

FPS noob
so if the dwarves are jews and the humans are christians and the orcs are africans, what are the elves? asians? did tolkien have that sweet sweet yellow fever? is kate a ladyboy?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
so if the dwarves are jews and the humans are christians and the orcs are africans, what are the elves? asians? did tolkien have that sweet sweet yellow fever? is kate a ladyboy?
Asians sounds about right. Acrobatic fighting technique. Somewhat androgynous appearance. Lived longer than everyone else. They seemed to have no problem steering their horses though.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They seemed to have no problem steering their horses though.
Zm1ij2i.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Western humans are protestants. Elves are Catholics. Both races chosen/created by the main god (Both forms of Christianity), while other races were all created by the "lesser" gods (IE "false" Abraham religions, Pagans, Eastern Religions). Humans in the book rebelled against god for power, accepted the rings for power and just generally had issues stemming from corruption due to wanting change for the sake of more power (Reformation and essentially what Catholics thought of Protestants due to it and afterwords). Elves stayed obedient to the "song of Illuvitar(SP?), sometimes to their detriment--and they used their massive power not to get more, but to keep things the same (Catholics view of themselves.)

Caliane

Americans. remember how they all sail West to the other land beyond the sea, after it's over.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Western humans are protestants. Elves are Catholics. Both races chosen/created by the main god (Both forms of Christianity), while other races were all created by the "lesser" gods (IE "false" Abraham religions, Pagans, Eastern Religions). Humans in the book rebelled against god for power, accepted the rings for power and just generally had issues stemming from corruption due to wanting change for the sake of more power (Reformation and essentially what Catholics thought of Protestants due to it and afterwords). Elves stayed obedient to the "song of Illuvitar(SP?), sometimes to their detriment--and they used their massive power not to get more, but to keep things the same (Catholics view of themselves.)
WHAT ARE THE HOBBITSES, PRECIOUS?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Himself, as a soldier in the trenches. He needed something to give him hope that what he was doing had any impact. Also, his children. Innocent creatures who were practically immune from corruption.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Finally saw this movie, when I had a proper hangover for it. I was bored most of the time and ended up rooting for the Orcs again. I really like those guys. They are always motivated, have clear goals and seem like overall nice folks. These guys even have a blast just marching around in battle formation. They also have great ways to break walls with Ogres jumping in headfirst. And that Bolg guy bud spencered that Tauriel elf with a classic fist on top of head punch.

Anyway, good hangover movie.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
WHAT ARE THE HOBBITSES, PRECIOUS?
Hobbits are human--they are a race of men (like Asians, but smaller. Not pulling this particular nugget out of my ass like everything else--he notes it in the book). I actually think Joot hits pretty close to the mark in terms of their "symbolism". Hobbits were, quite literally, what turn of the century English would refer to as "small folk". Peasants/Share croppers/Service workers who tended the land and were "protected" by the "big folk" (Lords/Nobles). But in the end, it usually fell on the small folk to do most of the really hard stuff, even if the bigger world had nothing to do with them and they just wanted to farm their shit, smoke weed and drink. (It's like an allegory for every war ever.)

Just my take though, but yeah, Hobbits were your average Joe. Their size in the book was a literal allusion to how those types of people are often overlooked.

j00t

There is a lot of double meanings. The dwarfs were Jews but they were also the military that drafted him into a battle he could care less about. He is bilbo.

j00t

Edit: 2 hour double post wtf...

Orcs don't represent any race in particular. They are literally the faceless ranks of the enemy.

That being said, is it more racist that orcs would represent blacks, or that there simply are no blacks in middle-earth? "Sure we've got balrogs, dragons and goblins burning and killing everything, but at least there's no negros, amirite??"

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I saw a few blacks in Laketown in the movie. Just a woman or two, but no men.

edit - Correction, werent the elefant drivers black?

Haradrim Captain.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That being said, is it more racist that orcs would represent blacks, or that there simply are no blacks in middle-earth? "Sure we've got balrogs, dragons and goblins burning and killing everything, but at least there's no negros, amirite??"
Ghan-buri-Ghan and his people were aboriginal in their description. They were who led Thoeden and his men through the forest on their way to Minas Tirith in RoTK (the book).

edit: Yes, the Haradrim (elephant riders) were described as dark-skinned as well.

Siliconemelons

j00t;967712 said:
Edit: 2 hour double post wtf...

Orcs don't represent any race in particular. They are literally the faceless ranks of the enemy.
yup they are the machines of industry and those that blindly serve it and destroy all that is good...that's kinda the entire point of the burning of the shire... it is showing that while we have moved out of the war (WW1/2) we still have this monster of our own creation the machines and sprawling industry revolution that was accelerated by the wars on both sides.

j00t

Ghan-buri-Ghan and his people were aboriginal in their description. They were who led Thoeden and his men through the forest on their way to Minas Tirith in RoTK (the book).

edit: Yes, the Haradrim (elephant riders) were described as dark-skinned as well.
Oh, that's right. Its been so long since I read the books. Completely forgot about them.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I haven't even seen this yet.

With the original LOTR movies I was there opening night each film. I know I saw them all more than once at the cinema.

But with these movies I just can't be bothered . . .

Perhaps if I have a quiet weekend and have a few spare hours and am in the mood for being disappointed and let-down.

Desidero

N00b
Just saw this last night - fucking awful. Not even worth a rental. Everything that they added beyond the original story was downright painful to watch, and this movie was 70% filler garbage.

If this is love, I don't want it. Take it away, please! Why does it hurt so much?
Because it was real.
We were almost crying we were laughing so hard at that. Legolas walking up falling rocks and Bard's stoic pose at the end were also pretty fucking hilarious.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Haha yeah what Legolas did running up those crumbling/falling rocks is like 100% impossible, I don't care how elvishly agile you are.