The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think when Gandalf said that only the Dark Lord could counter him, he was talking about those who would have been inclined to go against him. Though he was of the Maiar, being placed in a physical form diminished his abilities. Of the forces of good on that list, Galadriel should have been greatest or one of at the least.

Melkor was the greatest of the Valar, but he diminished his own power when he infused part of himself into the corruption of Middle-Earth, which reduced him to a physical form thereafter.
Yeah, maybe; because Tom Bombadil probably could have still kicked his ass if he really was the Dwarf God (I think?) But I don't know, I don't think Galadriel was stronger than him in his "White" form; the "White" wizard was pretty close, supposedly, to a Maiar at full power. In addition to that, Gandalf had an Elven ring; so he was far stronger than even Sauromon would have been at his strongest.

(I always assumed the power ranks went something like this. Gandalf the White>Sauromon the White=Galadriel>Elrond=Gandalf the Grey, given their rings and powers ect. But I could be wrong.)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Melkor was the greatest of the Valar, but he diminished his own power when he infused part of himself into the corruption of Middle-Earth, which reduced him to a physical form thereafter.
Yeah and he kept doing it, this makes the list even more bullshit since Balrogs have some of Melkor's power for this reason (as does Sauron).

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Tolkien really didn't offer any hard definition for any of it because power levels are stupid ass DBZ shit.
In a fight, yeah, supposedly any of them could be killed by a stray arrow; Tolkien had a few super elf lords get smoked by goblins if I recall correctly. Power rankings though are fun just to discuss characters, and all the stuff they could do. Hence why every novel eventually has the discussion of "who would in a fight". (And while the debate is fun, in reality that question should always be answered with "it depends"--all fights are dependent on circumstance. And, you know, what the Author wants; that's why in comics people like the Blank Panther can put choke holes on Silver Surfer...and it works.)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah and he kept doing it, this makes the list even more bullshit since Balrogs have some of Melkor's power for this reason (as does Sauron).
It was Tulkas which beat him right? Was there a passage that reflected he was weakened when they had their brawl? I only ever skimmed the Similarion in high school, I don't even know if I have the right combatants.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah Tulkas beat him.

The whole thing with Valar was that each one represented an aspect of God's personality which is why they have different characteristics. Melkor was the first one and got a little bit of them all, so could do the stuff everyone else could although maybe not as good as them. Jack of all trades master of none kinda thing. I think Tulkas even beat him the first time before he started pouring power into Balrogs and Dragons and Sauron.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
In a fight, yeah, supposedly any of them could be killed by a stray arrow; Tolkien had a few super elf lords get smoked by goblins if I recall correctly. Power rankings though are fun just to discuss characters, and all the stuff they could do. Hence why every novel eventually has the discussion of "who would in a fight". (And while the debate is fun, in reality that question should always be answered with "it depends"--all fights are dependent on circumstance. And, you know, what the Author wants; that's why in comics people like the Blank Panther can put choke holes on Silver Surfer...and it works.)
Clearly what needs to happen now is they need to restart the Deadliest Warrior series and spend an entire season on Tolkien's characters.

I said that as a joke, but that would actually be pretty fucking awesome.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Clearly what needs to happen now is they need to restart the Deadliest Warrior series and spend an entire season on Tolkien's characters.

I said that as a joke, but that would actually be pretty fucking awesome.
They need to take that shows premises and push it hard into nerd culture.

Star wars vs Star Trek Ships.
Superman vs Batman
Transformers vs Gobots.
Darth Vader vs RainbowDash
Smokey Vs the Bandit

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They need to take that shows premises and push it hard into nerd culture.

Star wars vs Star Trek Ships.
Superman vs Batman
Transformers vs Gobots.
Darth Vader vs RainbowDash
Smokey Vs the Bandit
Can you even imagine the rage? It might be Internet Ragnarok.

(There are two decent vs series on youtube that do something like this. Like Dumbledore vs Gandalf and what not.)

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought Melkor was the one who wouldn't sing harmony and because he required individual recognition above the others he broke the song.

And then once the song was broken he basically turned evil and stuff, since evil was a thing now.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think when Gandalf said that only the Dark Lord could counter him, he was talking about those who would have been inclined to go against him. Though he was of the Maiar, being placed in a physical form diminished his abilities. Of the forces of good on that list, Galadriel should have been greatest or one of at the least.

Maybe, galadriel was a first born elf wasn't she? Those guys wrecked. She probably rivaled Gandalf. The who is more powerful than sauron argument is kinda irrelevant since there is a pretty long list. Just none of them were particularly interested in fighting the humans war entirely for them, which is a point tolkien makes a few times. Elronds power was all ring, he was just a half elf who never even went to valinor, glorfindel was probably stronger than elrond when you take away the ring, also glorfindel kills a balrog and seems pretty alive.. tho maybe it had a delayed effect that caused PJ to cut his character...

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just a quick note. There is a nice fan edit of The Hobbit. All 4 movies edited down to 4 hours or 4 hours and 21 minutes. Removes a lot of the shit that wasn't in the book, the love triangle, a lot of gay shit we all hated, stuff peter jackson just invented, etc. It's on all "the usual" sites, search for "the hobbit tolkien edit." I've only made it through about 25 minutes, but just the start was enough to get me into it a little bit (all the prologue, the unnecessary shit with elijah wood, etc, all edited out.)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Ancient's note was much quicker. He takes the point this round.