The Hobbit

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, that Super Ticket wasn't a bad deal - get to see the movie, plus a Digital copy of both An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug for a total of $30? Not bad.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So true IMAX 3D or 3D HFR? I can't decide. Going to Edwards Houston Marq*E Stadium 23 & IMAX and they have both around the same time.

Juvarisx

Florida
I've always found IMAX3D way better then Real 3D, so that is what I would choose but make sure its the real IMAX and not that fake shit. Personally I am not completely sold on HFR yet, least in a movie like this. Gravity could have benefited from it but when a fantasy movie it isn't really required.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Great fuckin' movie. Totally did not expect them to end this one where they did. Knowing now what all the 3rd movie will have in it, good lord that's going to be one epic ass flick.

The pictures posted of Beorn don't really do him justice to how he appears in the movie. I thought the way they portrayed him was pretty damn good. Jackson did take a lot of liberties with the story this time around too, but nothing too eye-rolling retarded. Smaug was great, great, great. They did a really good job with him.
I thought the movie was fun and the pacing much faster than the first. I really enjoyed it.

The Dwarf-Elf romance thing was a bit over the top, but added an interesting dynamic.

I dislike the 'Legolas Super Hero/Jedi Knight' portion, but I didn't really like that in the LOTR ones either.

The spider scenes were awesome, and I liked the Beorn Bear ones.

Smaug just fucking owned. What a great job the special effects people did there, and his scenes under the mountain were great fun.

One question I had was what was with the withering of Thranduil's face? I know in the lore he was portrayed as a greedy bastard, but that part had me puzzled

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I've always found IMAX3D way better then Real 3D, so that is what I would choose
I agree but Real 3D has it in HFR, I guess I had to break this down for you because you are Canadian eh? ZING!

Edit to your edit: Ok yeah it is true IMAX like 70 ft screen two projectors etc. Ok cool going to IMAX version.

Juvarisx

Florida
Haha. edited my post. I didn't mind the HFR but I would have just been as happy without it cause of the quality of IMAX3D.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely enjoyed the film. Saw the HFR. Some of the indoor scenes did have a soap opera type feel to it but the action and heavy special effects scenes looked great.

One question I had was what was with the withering of Thranduil's face? I know in the lore he was portrayed as a greedy bastard, but that part had me puzzled
His face didn't wither, he revealed reveal the scarring and wounds he received during the battle with Smaug when he sieged the dwarven city, whatever it's called. I guess it is implied in the movie that he has some sort of illusion cast over his face to hide the scars.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Wow that was amazing, all of it. Worst part was that it ended...

Wife thought IMAX 3D was blurry and gave her a headache. She wants to see it again non 3D.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it tonight.

To be honest......I didn't like it at all. The HFR ruined it for me. It's like.....all of the budget went into every Smaug scene (which were awesome). Everything else felt cheap and kind of dumb.

Saw it in plain old 2D normal frame rate or whatever. Really liked it...could have sat there another 3 hours if they wanted to keep going after Smaug was loose.

Tauriel and Kili more or less falling in love with each other after a 2 minute conversation about a rock isexactlythe kind of shit I was expecting to happen with the introduction of a movie-only female elf character. The Bombur barrel scene and Gloin showing his "wee lad, Gimli" to Legolas were fucking great, though. I'm glad they have several comic relief dwarves because Thorin and the other serious ones need to turn down the angst some. The first scenes in Bard's house...seriously, wash the sand out of your man parts. Not sure why they wrote so much crying into the dwarves, but I was starting to get real tired of their shit.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Saw it in normal 2D non HFR - really liked it.

Only part I thought the CGI looked like ass was the river fighting scene - a lot of the time it looked like the actors were literally floating over the river, wasn't organic at all.

Arakkis

N00b
I saw it tonight.

To be honest......I didn't like it at all. The HFR ruined it for me. It's like.....all of the budget went into every Smaug scene (which were awesome). Everything else felt cheap and kind of dumb.
So let me get this straight. You didn't like it because the dragon scenes were so good they made the rest of the movie bad? You know who you are really mad at? Yourself for falling for stupid gimmicks.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was really pleased with Gandalf's part of the film.
I also really really like his face-off with Sauron at Dol Goldur. I think it really helped to show how powerful and personally terrifying Sauron is, which you don't get to see in LotR where he is mainly the malevolent force behind all the baddies.