The Hobbit

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Orlando Bloom's CGI facelift was a bit distracting, thankfully he didnt stand still much

Column_sl

shitlord
Were seeing this on Sunday, and I bought the digital bundle with my ticket so I can get a PC version.

So how come this is on no torrent sites yet with the full movie being able to be downloaded?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Saw it, thoroughly enjoyed.

However, I could have done with less Legolas and more Beorn. It was cool to see Legolas, but there is ZERO suspense/excitement in his fight scenes because we already know he survives to show up in LOTR. I'd have preferred some of his screen time be devoted to Beorn, who I thought was pretty much wasted.

I have similar feelings about the events with Smaug in the mountain. It was needless action for action's sake, considering anyone who has read the book knows that he flies out and burns Lake Town.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am braving a winter snow storm to see this tonight.. if I don't make it out alive I hope it's worth it. Yes, you can have my stuff.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
One thing that bugged me was after seeing LOTR so many times, and with all the scenes where Orlando Bloom forgot to put in his contacts, seeing his eyes that light green for the whole movie just seemed weird.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Smaug awesome, fight scenes terribly boring. Added character & romance not needed whatsoever.

Really needed to get away from Legolas killing hundreds of orcs effortlessly for no reason, but they kept it in. Movie also felt rushed: as in every scene was a rush to get to the next. Barrels were ok, if not just too much Disney-ish over the top. And I don't remember the dwarven forge scene with Smaug in the book. Was that an add? That too was too much bumbling around and surviving.

7/10. Could've been 9/10 with changes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I loved most of the movie, was REALLY into it. The final forge scenes were kind MEH felt like filler but was good. I get why they ended where they did, and its got me craving the finale so it did its job, but I still hate waiting.

I dont mind the added stuff. This feels much more like mini series than a trilogy. Like we pick up right where we left off, and this one ends RIGHT during the action so we will pick up right there which will be interesting to see how they pull that off.

Wish we could have seen Beorn in some kind of action.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I couldn't stop thinking about how it was the movie version of Ironforge.
It looked much, much more like Thorin's Hall from LOTRO than Ironforge. Warner Bros. is awesome about keeping a consistent art style across their various LOTR movies and games.

One final super nitpick: I really hate the "style" of dragon they went with for Smaug, with those retarded batwings where the wings and forearms are connected. I've always pictured dragons more in the WoW-style, with 4 regular legs plus separate wings. It always bothers me when movies opt for the former.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Especially since the source material has him as a 4 leg + wing type, I agree. Small but one of those things that makes you wonder why they "changed it". Really isnt important to the story, so why deviate?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Also: I don't remember the ending of the book, but I seem to recall Bilbo keeping the ring on? Maybe I'm wrong here, if so, correct me. But I remember him talking to Smaug while under invis.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, this one was going to be make or break with how well of a job they did with Smaug, and they did a great fucking job with him. Looked fantastic, sounded great, the whole shebang. Where they ended it surprised me as well, but I'm just expecting the finale to be packed with good shit. Yeah the strange romance and Legolas just owning everything was jarring, but otherwise some good action scenes. The Gandalf v. Sauron thing was pretty good shit too. Probably not on par with the whole of the LotR movies, but much better than Part 1, and Smaug was done as well as he could be done I thought.

Chris

Potato del Grande
OH FUCK. This is really a pet peeve of mine.

Dragons have 4 arms and 2 wings, it isn't a Dragon if it doesn't have those things. Did they put a Wyvern in the film? :/

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now that I think about it, yes they made Smaug a Wyvern. Odd direction to go with it, but I guess it is easier for him to snake around in that form. Also, they only showed Smaug's eyes light up when they initially opened. For some reason I remember Smaug using the lit eyes to try and find the invisible Bilbo who did "Not" appear in front of Smaug. I still enjoyed the movie, though the more I think about it, the more I just wish they left Legolas out of the movie. Hard to get into a movie knowing a character does not die during a fight sequence. The only reason I enjoyed him in LoTR was because of the relationship he developed with Gimbly. Without his side kick dwarf, he feels out of place.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The LOTR wiki has Smaug on several illustrations and artist interpretations, half the time he is the "classic" dragon with 4 feet and 2 wings, and half the time he is a wyvern like he was in the film. I'd say get over it, the characterization of him was still top notch, and I don't really see what having two extra legs would have added to the character in those scenes.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It would have added the element that Smaug would have used more of his "Vision" to search for the "invisible" Bilbo, than snaking around the whole place. I am fine with how they did it, but it is not true to source material and I am not sure why they chose to rework that part of it. I guess they figured the "Eye of Sauron" was enough of that effect and it might confuse people who do not know the story into thinking that the dragon and Sauron work together.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I guess they figured the "Eye of Sauron" was enough of that effect and it might confuse people who do not know the story into thinking that the dragon and Sauron work together.
Especially since Cumberbatch voiced BOTH Smaug and The Necromancer for this film.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Should have had Smaug contemptuously say something like "Well that's just elementary" in the conversation with Bilbo.