The Hobbit

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Saw it in HFR Real-3D. I rate it 7/10. It was my first time with HFR, and while I'm normally one to embrace all technological advances, it took away from the movie for me. Everything seemed too life-like, which may sound strange, but I didn't care for it.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
HFR completely ruined the first movie for me, went back to see it in regular good ol' 2D and it was excellent. I'm not making that mistake ever again, HFR suuuucks.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I saw this one at normal rates. I saw the first in HFR. The HFR looked worse to me, like an episode of Hercules.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Saw it in HFR Real-3D. I rate it 7/10. It was my first time with HFR, and while I'm normally one to embrace all technological advances, it took away from the movie for me. Everything seemed too life-like, which may sound strange, but I didn't care for it.
Yeah I saw this in HFR also, and echo your comments, at somepoints I was left thinking, fuck this looks incredible, but then the next scene it would just look like shit. Wish I had stuck with Imax.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Good movie though overall, enjoyed it more than the first.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went to IMAX. Fucking awesome. What's HFR? High fucking resolution?

And wasn't Smaug called a "wurm" in The Hobbit? I've always pictured him as a velious dragon lol.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Saw it this morning - theater was fucking packed at 10am on a Sunday.... Saw Hobbit in HFR first go around, and it fucking sucked dick - so much that I told people not to go see the actual film. Watched The Hobbit on HBO in normal HD last week and liked it. What a faggot technology.

Movie was pretty fucking good I thought. Only niggle for me was the weird camera "look" that popped up in the barrel scene a few times - the water looked really bizarre. First movie I've been to in a while that left me wanting more - I wanted to stay for 3 more hours, haha.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The complaints about HFR amuse me considering I've studied this phenomenon a bit in school. Boils down to people having the preconception that lower framerate things like movies are "higher quality" and higher framerate things are "lower quality". As more and more HFR movies come out that preconception will go away. It will also help as movie makers get more experience with what you can and cannot do with HFR since a lot of the tricks that filmmakers used to use to cover up less than stellar CGI and costumes don't work with 48 FPS due to the increased clarity.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Did anyone else notice the first shot of the film when thorn is walking in Bree, peter Jackson walks out of a building eating an apple or some kind of food? Looks at the camera as he walks by?

W

Wrathcaster

Dragon was cool. Tauriel and the entire bullshit arc involving her and Legolas that Walsh or whatever jackass in the screenwriting department decided to inject absolutely ruined it for me. Guess I just couldn't get over it, but Tauriel is a fucking stupid character crammed into a classic for the sole purpose of demographic pandering.

Everyone else I know loved it, so I guess it's just me, but goddamn the shit bugged the hell out of me. I could get past the departures in LOTR but holy shit every second the elves were on the screen was concentrated bullshit lame to me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did anyone else notice the first shot of the film when thorn is walking in Bree, peter Jackson walks out of a building eating an apple or some kind of food? Looks at the camera as he walks by?
It was him eating a carrot. He did the exact same thing in Bree in the LoTR trilogy. (Cant remember if it was an EE version or Theatrical too)

NsC1R.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Legolas has always been OP as fuck in these movies, why is it an issue NOW?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Legolas has always been OP as fuck in these movies, why is it an issue NOW?
Because at least he was actually present in the LOTRO books. There's no reason to have him here except "lol filler content" to stretch it into 3 movies.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because at least he was actually present in theLOTRObooks. There's no reason to have him here except "lol filler content" to stretch it into 3 movies.
Right, but most people aren't even complaining "wtf is Legolas doing here?!" It's more "JESUS FUCK HOW IS HE DOING THIS?!"

I mean, it makes sense that Legolas is present, even if he isn't specifically mentioned in the The Hobbit.

P.S. What's LOTRO?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The problem with high fps is that they don't slow down the camera panning to match it. So the result looks like it's being fast forwarded and it's even more emphasized with the 3D effect on the background motions.

on hfr: youtube douglas trumbull. the cinematic 'language' is different; static camera shots are more comprehensible/lessjarring. (with 24fps if you move the camera too much and you lose the 3d effect completely.)

like having the ingame cinematic camera move by itself but ignoring your head movements when wearing a rift.
like moving the camera but getting a 'wrongfeeling' corresponding movement for cinema/amusementrideseats.. camera movements matter.

doesn't have to be at a constant 48fps .. (those projectors are supposed fixed at 144fps) so you can have varaible fps depending on the emotion/vicariousness of the narrative. (the more fps, the more 'real'/emotional/galvantic/etc reponse)