The Hobbit

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Hrm, yeah, I seem to specifically remember it saying several times that the 3 were outside of the domain of Sauron and I don't ever remember it saying that the wearer of the 1 could read the minds of the 3. But I imagine whoever updates the wiki is more read up than me.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah the reason The One didn't work on the Elves is because they took the rings off.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
But they had them on the whole time, they just concealed it. There is a big scene in the books where Frodo mentions Galadriel's ring to Gandalf and he is all "shut the fuck up, hobbit." And Gandalf was wearing the fire ring ever since the shipwright gave it to him. Or am I smoking crack here?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just think it's silly to argue about the fairly minor details of a mythology that the author himself never stopped fucking around with.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We're not arguing, we're discussing! We could sit around and complain about the movie but in the true foh spirit we're taking nerdiness to another level and getting into the subtle intricacies of magical item influence in the world of Tolkien.

Chris

Potato del Grande
But they had them on the whole time, they just concealed it. There is a big scene in the books where Frodo mentions Galadriel's ring to Gandalf and he is all "shut the fuck up, hobbit." And Gandalf was wearing the fire ring ever since the shipwright gave it to him. Or am I smoking crack here?
They took them off/hid them when Sauron had The One Ring thousands of years before.

It was "safe" for them to wear them during Lord of the Rings, yeah Gandalf actually uses it during the Siege of Minas Tirith, it had the power of Heart lol. I seem to remmber that they were quite wary about using them even so, maybe this is in the appendices.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
We're not arguing, we're discussing! We could sit around and complain about the movie but in the true foh spirit we're taking nerdiness to another level and getting into the subtle intricacies of magical item influence in the world of Tolkien.
The Elves were wearing them during LotR, but that's only because Sauron was NOT wearing the One Ring. Everyone thought the Ring was out to sea, so there was no reason to not use the three.

Now, that doesn't mean that they advertised that they had 3 of the most powerful artifacts known in Middle-Earth.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
just rewatched the entire LOTR EE trilogy over the past few days

Theoden's speech at pelennor fields gets me right in the feels. i always tear up when i watch it

Dumar_sl

shitlord
just rewatched the entire LOTR EE trilogy over the past few days

Theoden's speech at pelennor fields gets me right in the feels. i always tear up when i watch it
You and I are too good for this nerdy shit. Anyone who likes these movies is a loser who can't get girls.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think they actually took the rings off, they were just invisible to non-ringbearers either permanently or whenever they wanted them to be. Case in point, when the Fellowship first met Galadriel - Frodo immediately noticed the Nenya on her hand, but to Sam it just appeared to be starlight. Gandalf was wearing Narya the whole time, but no one could see it/no one who could noticed it (as Gandalf wasn't really around Frodo/Sam much of that journey, else Frodo probably would have noticed it) - it wasn't really noticed until the final scene at the Grey Havens because by then, the One Ring had been destroyed, rendering the Three Rings powerless - so they became visible to all.

As far as that line in the LOTR Wiki about how Sauron could, with effort, still see the thoughts of the Elven Ring-bearers...I have to do a little more research on that. I've read a lot, and I mean a lot of Tolkien's work, but I never remember reading that anywhere.

Bladefury

N00b
Here's the Silmarillon:

The_Silmarillon Chapter 24_J.R.R.Tolkien_free books online reading

"Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last. And much of the strength and will of Sauron passed into that One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency; and Sauron forged it in the Mountain of Fire in the Land of Shadow. And while he wore the One Ring he could perceive all the things that were done by means of the lesser rings, and he could see and govern the very thoughts of those that wore them.

But the Elves were not so lightly to be caught. As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of an that they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off their rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath; and he came against them with open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and counsel. But the Elves fled from him; and three of their rings they saved, and bore them away, and hid them.

Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named, the Rings of Fire, and of Water, and of Air, set with ruby and adamant and sapphire; and of all the Elven-rings Sauron most desired to possess them, for those who had them in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world. But Sauron could not discover them, for they were given into the hands of the Wise, who concealed them and never again used them openly while Sauron kept the Ruling Ring.

Therefore the Three remained unsullied, for they were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and the hand of Sauron had never touched them; yet they also were subject to the One."

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You sons of bitches. I'm going to have to spend 12 hours of my weekend re-watching all the LOTR extended edition movies now. Haven't seen them since they were first released on DVD

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Well late to the party here.

I was kinda under-impressed by the first Hobbit movie, I was sort of mid-range how I felt, it had some good and some bad So I wasn't in too large a rush to see Hobbit2.

Saw it last night and it was much better. Less of the silly sense of humor and had a much needed serious edge

I had gotten an early warning that the barrel scene was the silliest childlike part, which it was. Again I blame 3D film making for this = the need to make it a sort of theme park ride.

But if you put that aside, it's a good solid movie.

Now I am extra keen for Hobbit 3

Chris

Potato del Grande
Here's the Silmarillon:

The_Silmarillon Chapter 24_J.R.R.Tolkien_free books online reading

"Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last. And much of the strength and will of Sauron passed into that One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency; and Sauron forged it in the Mountain of Fire in the Land of Shadow. And while he wore the One Ring he could perceive all the things that were done by means of the lesser rings, and he could see and govern the very thoughts of those that wore them.

But the Elves were not so lightly to be caught. As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of an that they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off their rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath; and he came against them with open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and counsel. But the Elves fled from him; and three of their rings they saved, and bore them away, and hid them.

Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named, the Rings of Fire, and of Water, and of Air, set with ruby and adamant and sapphire; and of all the Elven-rings Sauron most desired to possess them, for those who had them in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world. But Sauron could not discover them, for they were given into the hands of the Wise, who concealed them and never again used them openly while Sauron kept the Ruling Ring.

Therefore the Three remained unsullied, for they were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and the hand of Sauron had never touched them; yet they also were subject to the One."
Thanks, looks like I was right
smile.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dagor-nuin-Giliath, an army of 90,000 Orcs and Balrogs took on about 15,000 Elves and were like, completely wiped out.
It is documented in the movies that orcs are not actually capable of killing anyone except Boromir and since he was played by Sean Bean that hardly counts. I am pretty sure that just Legolas could solo an army of 90,000 orcs. They just roar a lot and then insta-die when they encounter a non-orc. Even hobbits can mow through them like a scythe through grain.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Didn't they kill everyone but like 10 people in the throne room at Helm's Deep? That always really fucking annoyed me.

Arakkis

N00b
The after credits part of that was the only thing that made me laugh. Well ok, and the "which one is the female" perhaps. But the rest of it was pretty bad compared to most of those.
You have literally no sense of humor. Where on the autism spectrum are you?