The House Plants Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
From left to right is Elephant Ear, Sunflower, and Dragon Tree.

The Elephant Ear is just always developing these brown crackly edges. Overall the plant is doing okay but those edges are not liking life for some reason. The sunflower is not going to be as tall as I had hoped I don't think. But we shall see. MiracleGro happens again tomorrow.

9H0zbnh.jpg

The better looking dahlia bloom, with a caladium bulb mix.

WPJsqJ3.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pineapple 1 turned gold the other day and we fucking ate it before I could snap a pic.

Luckily, 2 is still on the plant (until tomorrow). I'll get a shot.

Yes, it was very good, thanks for wondering.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
From left to right is Elephant Ear, Sunflower, and Dragon Tree.

The Elephant Ear is just always developing these brown crackly edges. Overall the plant is doing okay but those edges are not liking life for some reason. The sunflower is not going to be as tall as I had hoped I don't think. But we shall see. MiracleGro happens again tomorrow.

9H0zbnh.jpg

The better looking dahlia bloom, with a caladium bulb mix.

WPJsqJ3.jpg

First off, congratulations on having the 500th post on this thread.

Also I think your elephant ear may be suffering from a lack of humidity or your water content has trace amounts of minerals. The plant may be pushing the chemicals out towards the edge of the leaf to isolate the toxicity. If you are fertilizing you may want to tone it down to half or allow regular water to flush out the residual build up within the soil and the pot.

Your Dracaena looks well, as they age they become only more spectacular and respond well to occasional pruning to encourage branch division.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So why would that part of the branch just die? Checked the rest of the tree and nothing else like that. Oranges are coming in fine too.

2017-07-30 04.12.58.jpg

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As a general rule, as soon as you see something like that I cut it the fuck off and some more. Could be disease, could be some sort of stress. Either way the limb will become a liability if you leave it.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So why would that part of the branch just die? Checked the rest of the tree and nothing else like that. Oranges are coming in fine too.

View attachment 150418

I agree with Furry. However I would refrain from using a wound sealer post pruning. Sealant can often times make the problem worse, by restricting the air flow around the wound and preventing sap and water from being released, a haven for disease and infections is created.

In addition, I would strongly recommend that you inspect the branch you remove for any signs of insects, rot, ect... before promptly disposing of it.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
One of Monty Don's mantras was that dead leaves are just a place for insects and fungus to grow. It's win/win to remove them.

One exception (help me out here if I'm wrong about this) is the natural yellowing that happens as perennials die back. In these cases the good juices in the leaves are being sucked back into the root for winter and it might be a good idea to just let that process complete itself. Once it appears to be finished, then clear it away.

But yeah it's not autumn so something has clearly affected that branch. A magnifying glass might help with diagnostics.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I don't know the exact name of this but it is some sort of crocus. I think it's called autumn crocus but the GIS images don't really match and, it's not autumn.

Unlike spring crocus who put's his flower up before his leaves, this guy does it in the reverse. I should have taken a picture of it but in the early spring with the tulips this things puts up a big bushel of strap-like leaves that last until it gets hot and then they all die back. Then nothing happens for about a month or two and it looks like it's all over, but then it sends up its flower stolon all by itself, with no leaves or buds or anything. It looks so odd to see just a big flower sticking straight out of the soil with no leaves!

4nUC4St.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Moar!

This Hibiscus was destroyed by white flies last year. Over winter it was down to about 7 leaves. It's a happy plant now.

64UxTyo.jpg

So this is pushing the boundaries of the thread title, but actually my favorite plants of all are the grasses in my yard! Zoysia Grass in full summer. I had some broadleaf problems in the spring but now it's nothing but lush happy zoysia. It feels great to walk on barefoot.

RH3kZvB.jpg

N3VdHqu.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
New man has a white bird of paradise he has had for 3 years. It has never bloomed. He lives in zone 6a. The plant comes indoors over winter and is acclimated to the outdoors...it is outside now and in full leafy loveliness...in a large pot, and at least 6 ft tall...probably taller.
When he got it, he wasn't told what it was and he has been just winging it with care (he is pretty good at growing things...). I was able to identify it, but the care suggestions I have found so far on line kind of suck.
SO...I thought DUH...I have the BEST source here!
Please share both general care suggestions as well as methods you have used to force blooms. (If I read correctly...it is more likely to bloom when indoors and in spring).

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Moar!

This Hibiscus was destroyed by white flies last year. Over winter it was down to about 7 leaves. It's a happy plant now.

64UxTyo.jpg

So this is pushing the boundaries of the thread title, but actually my favorite plants of all are the grasses in my yard! Zoysia Grass in full summer. I had some broadleaf problems in the spring but now it's nothing but lush happy zoysia. It feels great to walk on barefoot.

RH3kZvB.jpg

N3VdHqu.jpg
Please grow some for me...I will send you an address. Thanks. ;)

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Hellebores' bells...double post....finally could edit, so this is what you get.

I have been going rounds with a family of tomato horn worms, they just lather up and smile at me trying to use less harmful insecticidal soaps and oils. They hide very well, even when they leave a poop trail and I apparently don't have the right kind of wasps. I am sad to report I eneed up using Sevin. Mrs. G failing environmentally but harvesting tomatoes

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle I think you were right about the crispy brown edges of the elephant ear. You said it might be fertilizer deposits and since then all I have done as far as fertilization is a top dressing of compost. I also water it about every 24-36 hours. As you can see, the newer bigger growth is lush and green and has no browning. I think you were right on the money with that. Thanks bruh!

• 1Solidarity

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
New man has a white bird of paradise he has had for 3 years. It has never bloomed. He lives in zone 6a. The plant comes indoors over winter and is acclimated to the outdoors...it is outside now and in full leafy loveliness...in a large pot, and at least 6 ft tall...probably taller.
When he got it, he wasn't told what it was and he has been just winging it with care (he is pretty good at growing things...). I was able to identify it, but the care suggestions I have found so far on line kind of suck.
SO...I thought DUH...I have the BEST source here!
Please share both general care suggestions as well as methods you have used to force blooms. (If I read correctly...it is more likely to bloom when indoors and in spring).

I had no idea there was a white bloomed cultivar of this species! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The container may be too large for the plant to feel comfortable blooming. They prefer to be slightly pot bound in a container that is slightly more wide than it is deep. However re potting can setback the blooming process for up to two years.

You also said the plant has been in his possession for three years. In most cases maturity is large factor, if my memory serves me correctly the minimum age for blooms is five years. Also how often is this plant fertilized? That can be a large factor concerning flower production.

If re potting is going to be the course of action I would strongly recommend doing this on a shady day to reduce the amount of stress on the roots and foliage. And never, never, ever use fertilizer on a plant you just re potted as it will chemically fry the roots, always wait until the plant acclimates to the pot to fertilize.

Also any pictures of the plant can really help with diagnostics. Good luck I hope this helps!

How To Help Bird Of Paradise Flower Bloom

How to Grow Bird of Paradise Plant | Houseplant 411 - How to Identify and Care for Houseplants

Last edited: