The House Plants Thread

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Mr. Bungle are you in CT?? I want to snag a clipping or two of your fluted Jade. My girlfriend got a normal jade clipping from my stepmom last year and has passed that on to a few people. Both my stepmom and her would love a different variety.

I'll post some pics of what my GF has growing tonight.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Mr. Bungle are you in CT?? I want to snag a clipping or two of your fluted Jade. My girlfriend got a normal jade clipping from my stepmom last year and has passed that on to a few people. Both my stepmom and her would love a different variety.

I'll post some pics of what my GF has growing tonight.

I am in fact located in CT and would be more than happy to give you some cuttings of my jades! PM me when you get a chance.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_136089.jpg

I got this one a few weeks ago, not sure what it is but as you can see its fucked up because both my cats are eating the shit like a salad bar. Cool looking though. (when it wasnt mangled by said kitties.)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm cheap and lazy. I dig up ferns that come up naturally after we burn and give them out. They last pretty long, mom still has some I dug up 25 years ago.

Greer-050517-0047-PS.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Ferns are great old prehistoric plants. They predate the dinosaurs and still have a visible exterior gametophyte!

And mk that looks like a species of hosta with variegated foliage.

This is one of my osteospermum. It's a simple and popular annual that comes in tons of colors but this one is just amazing. By far the best looking flower I have right now.

rrr_img_136102.jpg

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
mkopec;

I have been learning about hostas lately. I have some that were planted by the previous owner. The more I learn about them, the more I understand that the ones on my property were planted almost perfectly. The person who put them there knew exactly what he was doing. And it is evident. Look at these:

rrr_img_136537.jpg

hosta alba marginalis- 'the hosta that is white around the edges'

Tell me those aren't happy flourishing plants! I love them.

Your pink leafed hosta will do better outside.

You are in North America, yes? It likes shade, water, and drainage. So it likes to be rained on, but it doesn't like to sit in a puddle of that rain. It prefers for the water to come and then go. And it prefers to be under a canopy of shade or partial shade and not out in the exposed open hot hard light. If it gets some direct sunlight that's okay but just make sure it is limited in duration. North facing or under a tree is good.

Find the spot, dig a good hole, pour some gravel into the hole to allow for drainage, add some soil, and plant the hosta. Water it occasionally in high summer or if a drought occurs but otherwise it is fairly maintenance free.

(As a side note. The size of my picture is slightly under the new maximum allowed on the forum. I had to resize the shit out of that photo to make it small enough to adhere to the new upload rules. So much good detail is lost. Sorry for how small it is. Neg Tuco to offset this injustice.)

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This creeping grass is in perfect bloom. (anyone know what it's called?)

rrr_img_136677.jpg

Neg Tuco for the injustice at the pathetic size of this photo.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Thanks Gerbil for carrying this thread over! I have a bunch of pictures that I would love to share!, but I am currently experiencing issues with uploading photos.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
DoctorSpooge made a good point in the Admin thread. He said to make sure to spread the word even into the small niche threads that we may frequent, so that we can get as many people as we can to be made aware:

The site has been sold. An exodus is in the making. I don't know that we are definitively all moving or not, but let it be known, the new site will be ReReRolled.org.

Some people are arguing that nothing will happen under our new overlords and we needn't leave. Others are pushing for a full exodus starting now. But I just wanted to get any lurkers in this thread to at least register over at the new site (being Admin'd by a_skeleton_03) in preparation in case the move is made.

I love plant people!

Apparently the shrinking file upload size was done in preparation for the transfer of ownership.

Caliane

can't believe no one answered your spiderplant question on the old board. I just saw that thread today.

Chlorophytum comosum
Chlorophytum comosum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Vittatum' most likely.
you have a non variegated plant. which is a bit odd. they do come that way, but 99% are variegated. Its natural mutation. I would actually purposely select out pure white and pure green ones when commercially propagating them.

one of the most common, and super easiest things to grow. not a grass. technically a perennial herb.

Could be:
Chlorophytum capense
which is similar, not varigated. but much less common, and pretty sure you have the first.

P.S.
more of a gardening thread thing, then house plants..
Can't stand hosta myself. Spread like crazy, kill everything else. and get HUGE. you said, previous owner. how big are they atm? 6-7' wide yet?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
No but honestly I actually am way behind you Cal. I am hungry to learn though.

I think it is non-variegated but I'll have to look closer. The hostas please me very much but that may be because they are contained in a boxed area and are not competing with anything at all. They are basically sitting in an all inclusive hosta resort with an open bar. They are not competing with anything else for want of anything as far as I can tell. It appears that the goal was to grow hostas there. And holy cow. I'll have to measure them.

The Chlorophytum is from my girlfriend. She thinks she has a green thumb, but she really doesn't. She loves that plant because it never dies on her. Makes sense now.

Are you in to botany and horticulture then? Professionally? Weekend warrior?

Caliane

I do literally have a BS in Horticulture from UConn. Then worked as a head grower at a local wholesale greenhouse/florist for 7 years. Then quit and got into comic books.

Be advised, I lost most of my knowledge. Horitculture essentially has two programs. Business management, and research. I went business in the first place. Which is more focused on running greenhouses. While research is of course propagation, genetics, etc. Then in practice as a grower.. you don't actually use any of the plant knowledge much. 95% of the job is labor, of planting thousands of plants a month, plumbing, and electrical... Soils? well, swapped to potting soil entirely, so that faded.

But then even quit that, so, much of that is fading as well.

yeah, on hostas. Large and green/varigated for that area. boxed in, ought to stay there. but, I'm not a fan. big green leaves, nothing else. I would much rather a ground cover like strawberries, vinca, phlox, lavender, etc. then mix in flowering perennials, foxglove, columbine, black eye susan, etc, etc, and even reseeding annuals.

Caliane

I'm sure you have a local greenhouse that is. Its shit work. Minimum wage, pure tedious, often gross labor. I would go through 10 pairs of pants, and a 200$ pair of boots every year. (pants due to on knees weeding, and getting torn on narrow benches as well as constantly wet. Boots constantly wet.
Turn over on employees was horrible. 90% of new workers would just stop showing up within 2 weeks. often within 3 days.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The labor doesn't bother me so much as the pay. It pays better to mop up human garbage than to grow things.

Lame. o_O

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Been in a shitty apartment with AC that had wet gym sock syndrome and many of my plants started getting surface mold and a few got root rot (as well as us having breathing issues and fruit bowl going rotten hella fast so seems like actual spores were getting in the air or some shit). After maintenance refused to do anything I finally cleaned the unit out myself best I could and it helped some. I got a bit of a fungus gnat (I think) infestation with a couple plants in the living room I think from a stray I got on clearance at a large retailer (which I try to avoid, but I felt bad for a dragon tree that looked rough, but salvageable, but wasn't). Add to that the last bag of soil I got being filled with flying bugs and smelling rotten. Was getting fed up.

So, I decided to try out Coco Coir which seemed to help a lot as I guess it isn't organic in the same way so doesn't get the same issues with pests or molds, and I haven't. I've enjoyed it overall. It's easy to work with, still looks and feels like soil instead of a rocky hydro style medium (I make the comparison because the coir doesn't have nutrients itself so you have to feed like it's hydro). Storing has been easy, as I just expanded/wet it in a big plastic tote and have left it closed in my bathroom due to limited space. Have had no issues with pests or it breaking down or anything after like 3 months.

My only real issue is if I use glazed or plastic pots, the soil stays very wet for a very long time, though doesn't seem to be causing any typical root rot issues, but still it worries me. If I use terra cotta, which I typically prefer, the pots suck the coir dry like crazy so even though the coir holds way more water than soil, I'm still watering far more often than I'd prefer. I think next I might try some landscaping fabric grow bags inside the terra cotta to try to allow for breath-ability but keep a bit of a buffer so all my water isn't just being evaporated away.

Not sure if I'm pimpin coco coir or asking for feedback, but either way glad to see this thread as I've always had plants but they've become an actual hobby recently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not a big plant nerd. Though funny since one of the other federal guards I work with who also seems like hillbilly hick as fuck is a massive massive bonzai and other house plants/tree's nerd including the chemistry.

I'm a bad plant owner though. My favorite are lithops. Rarely see them in stores. Had some as a kid. Just finished a stint of a year and half with one. Still confused what happened, was acting like it was too try, soil in its cup had turned a little dark like it was damp but was dry to the touch. Ended up over watering it I think and it melted. Touchy bitches. Was flowering and dividing like normal before. Also a huge planter of succulents in the window getting over grown. But dont think you can trim them back in the classic sense. Been too lazy to find a bigger planter, (currently like salad serving bowl sized), scared I'll kill them. I wish I knew if they would survive colorado winter as in a bigger planter I dont want to move in/out all the time. (Kinda wierd kind I havnt seen before at one worksite has them outside and are fine, but chickened out on snatching a sample to grow out)