The House Plants Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Maybe I'm strange, but I find houseplants to be creepy. Like 1 or 2 in a foyer or something, sure whatever. But fuck every time I step into a house and there's buckets of the things I'm pretty sure they must be axe murderers. I love me a good landscape but those things need to be outside or in an atrium or a greenhouse or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Caliane do people ever plant those Tulip Poplars and then follow them with something slower like an oak or an elm? Seems like maybe a good way to stagger it into the future.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Maybe I'm strange, but I find houseplants to be creepy. Like 1 or 2 in a foyer or something, sure whatever. But fuck every time I step into a house and there's buckets of the things I'm pretty sure they must be axe murderers. I love me a good landscape but those things need to be outside or in an atrium or a greenhouse or something.

Ya got me. I make sure to fertilize my plants with the body parts from people I've axe murdered.

Really though it's one reason I started using coco coir. Doesn't have that weird old person musty rotting soil smell that hippie houses sometimes had growing up. Even the giant bucket of it sitting wet for the last 4 months has no real smell.

Caliane

Caliane do people ever plant those Tulip Poplars and then follow them with something slower like an oak or an elm? Seems like maybe a good way to stagger it into the future.
what do you mean exactly?

Trees planted near each other will effect the other. deforming its growth via shade or outright touching.
I suppose you could in theory, plant the Popular "near" the house. Then, the oak far enough away from the popluar that the branchs won't touch, AND ensuring Oak is on the sunny side (South). So the Popular would outgrow the Oak, but not shade the Oak, or touch the Oak, interfering with its shape or growth. then eventually the Oak would catch up and shade the popular. Either then cutting the popular down, or let it get deformed, stretch to out reach the Oak.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My Portulacaria afra (elephant bush) Bonsai
ob6sXaj.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Desert Rose Bloom from about 2 weeks ago. Glad to see it flourished after dormancy!
49JvHUW.jpg

UaWzu4h.jpg

9yeNIoT.jpg

My Hoya (AKA wax plant) Much of this is new growth from this current growing season.
GoYaGEH.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I made an annual arrangement in May:

BrZJSwb.jpg

This is what it looks like today, lol:

2XgJSXM.jpg

8 plants turned into 4. But that white one and the purple puff ball one are gangbusters. Not sure the name of anything except the accent spike which is a cordyline. The woman threw away all the identifier tags that came with them.

And I measured my hosta as Caliane said to. The biggest leaf I found was 7.5" by 5".

• 2Like

Haka

N00b
Anyone have some good suggestions for houseplants that aren't poisonous to cats? I have an idiot cat who poisoned himself on a bouquet of flowers my gf receieved after surgery. Cost me $1200 at the vet.

Right now I've stuck to herbs, which he loves to nibble on, but he ironically has ignored every cat grass or catnip plant I've gotten.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I know lilies are bad for cats. Did your bouquet have lilies?

lily25.jpg

They can vary in color and shape but that is a basic looking lily flower.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have some good suggestions for houseplants that aren't poisonous to cats? I have an idiot cat who poisoned himself on a bouquet of flowers my gf receieved after surgery. Cost me $1200 at the vet.

Right now I've stuck to herbs, which he loves to nibble on, but he ironically has ignored every cat grass or catnip plant I've gotten.

Spider plants are non toxic to pets and require low maintenance, Boston Ferns are also great non toxic house plants!

• 2Like

Haka

N00b
I know lilies are bad for cats. Did your bouquet have lilies?

View attachment 1988

They can vary in color and shape but that is a basic looking lily flower.

Yep, it was lilies. Basically any flower you'd put in a bouquet is poisonous to a cat, as a disclaimer. I had no idea. Apparently it destroys their liver, and they can die in a day.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Those pics you posted are great Bungle.

That third one is a lily isn't it?

What is the second one?

The Third flower is in fact a Lilly, the second flower is a zinnia! Their blooms come in a variety of colors and sizes.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Looking for some advice for a challenging situation:

- small bed in a condo patio with high walls, so max 3 hours of sunshine a day, sometimes blocked by trees
- very poor soil, clayey
- prefer a perennial that doesn't require a lot of water
- southern California coastal climate

These people grow plants specific for your clayish soil and also require small amounts of water. I hope this can lead you in the right direction

Clay Tolerant Plants: Yerba Buena Nursery, Specializing in California Native Plants and Ferns

• 1Like