The Interview - Rogan and Franco attempt to assassinate Kim Jong-Un

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
No they would not be responsible but the pussy nation that we are now would have held them responsible in the public eye.

I really don't care what they do. It's thier business.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sony absolutely did the right thing in cancelling the theater release. However, this movie is getting major popularity as a result. If they did a straight DVD or VoD release instead, they'd make a killing.

The problem with doing a theatrical release in America is that we are an EXTREMELY litigious country. Sony has an active threat and if anything actually happened to a theater showing this film, Sony is 100% responsible. And knowing that there is already a threat in place, insurance would no longer cover it. And people would sue... oh man would they sue. That's why they had to pull the plug on a theatrical release.

I still have hope that it'll eventually end up online or as a DVD.
Like North Korea has some secret military cell in the United States to carry out these "terrorist" threats without us knowing it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not saying that something would happen. But *if* it did, they are so liable. They had a threat, no matter how unrealistic. (With the exception of crazy copy cat assholes that this country is full of). In the eyes of America, they would have fucked up and been to blame. Legally, it would be the theaters themselves, but that's why every major theater company decided not to risk it.

Hell, remember that asshole that shot up the Batman opening night? Tons of people who were at that theater sued the parent company for not offering adequate security. That's the nation we live in.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I guess anytime there's a movie you don't like you can just call in a threat to Sony and they'll cancel all screenings.

Wakandan please.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not saying it's a decision that the American population wanted, BUT... Financially, it was their best choice. Plus, they have insurance that will recoup the entire cost of the film's production. Yes, Rogan & Franco are going to lose money in the long run (no back end), but it's best for the studio. That said, I hate Sony's movie studio. They continue to fuck us on Spider-Man and whatever the hell this new Fantastic Four is going to be. No thanks.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Hell, remember that asshole that shot up the Batman opening night? Tons of people who were at that theater sued the parent company for not offering adequate security.
On January 24, 2013, a federal magistrate judge issued a recommendation that most of the claims be thrown out, as they were not allowable under Colorado law.
mmhmm

Szlia

Like North Korea has some secret military cell in the United States to carry out these "terrorist" threats without us knowing it.
I am not sure if you are being facetious or not. Do you think a stalinist regime that has been in a permanent state of hot or cold war for almost 70 years does not have a number of spies and sleeper agents? Or do you think the track record of the american intelligence community favors the idea that all these spies and agents are known?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am not sure if you are being facetious or not. Do you think a stalinist regime that has been in a permanent state of hot or cold war for almost 70 years does not have a number of spies and sleeper agents? Or do you think the track record of the american intelligence community favors the idea that all these spies and agents are known?
I think anyone who's been a 'sleeper' in America that long doesn't give a shit about Best Korea anymore.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
lol.

Yeah, there are totally a bunch of agents waiting for orders from Dear Leader Jr. In the meantime they can enjoy eating food, driving cars, using electricity, and having hot water.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem with this hack is that Sony's network and file keeping practices were so bad that it could have been anyone who hacked them. The seriously stored passwords in a folder labeled "Password"

They also include a file directory entitled 'Password', which includes 139 Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, zip files, and PDFs containing thousands of passwords to Sony Pictures' internal computers, social media accounts, and web services accounts.
Sony saved thousands of passwords in a folder named 'Password' - Telegraph

Now I know your average employee does dumbshit like this all the time but I've never met the IT guy who wouldn't have started frothing at the mouth if he saw this shit. I know the FBI says anyone could be hit like this if they are targeted and while that is true to some extent it doesn't mean just because they got in the front door they are given free reign controls to the entire network. Hell getting into any network is the easiest part of hacking. (See Social Engineering)

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Another thing is I hope that some pissed off Rogan / Franco fan hacks into whatever primitive computer systems North Korea has and gives them that final push back into the stone age.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
George R. R. Martin on The Interview - Game of Thrones Author Offers to Screen at Jean Cocteau Cinema - Esquire

"The level of corporate cowardice here astonishes me. It's a good thing these guys weren't around when Charlie Chaplin made THE GREAT DICTATOR. If Kim Jong-Un scares them, Adolf Hitler would have had them shitting in their smallclothes."

also

BCCco1c.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Another thing is I hope that some pissed off Rogan / Franco fan hacks into whatever primitive computer systems North Korea has and gives them that final push back into the stone age.
I don't blame NK. North Korea gonna North Korea. This is entirely Sony's fault for being complete pussies about it. I hope NK does this for all releases from now on. Maybe Sony will have to post armed guards at all theatre locations from now on.

Yes, I'm victim blaming.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Sony isn't afraid of NK making good on NK terrorist type threats, they are afraid of whoever releasing emails calling Morgan Freeman a Wakandan and Angela Jolie a bitch. It would be mighty hard to make anymore movies when all the A list actors you talked shit about tell you to go fuck yourself.