The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
a friend asked about that thing w/ the scientist, so i guess others might've not have heard this podcast like 10years

it's in 10min snippets, on a playlist

iannis

Musty Nester
"You're really proud of that aren't you?" Was a n unexpected chortle. Penn bein sly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really want to like NDT but sometimes he's just rambling and I find myself looking for something else to listen to. And I'd really like him to at least hit the highlights of whats going on in modern astrophysics. But instead he's like "Joe Rogan, let me blow your mind with this fish trivia". I can't even listen to his Star Talk show because it's just all this, him rambling and shit. He's a good communicator when he has a script but without it he just goes off on constant tangents.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He's also kind of a condescending cunt which is true of almost all science media people. I don't like him.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He's also kind of a condescending cunt which is true of almost all science media people. I don't like him.
Yea, he's like

"do you know what happens to @@@, Joe?"

Joe is thinking and the cogs in his head are turning

NDT:
"just say you don't know Joe!!!"
(so he can give the answer)

iannis

Musty Nester
It's the job I think. Ndt lights up on some subjects. On some subjects he's still great.

On most subjects his wonderment seems forced and he's not hiding it as well as he used to. But it's his chosen role, to get youth interested in science. One way to do it is with a sense of magic and exploration.

It's not entirely fair to expect him to be sagan. Neil is a bit less crazy than sagan was.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. With Sagan I legit can't tell where the smart ends and the crazy starts. Because sagan was no dumb pothead. But if he -wasn't- smoking weed then he was just naturally baked. Maybe he didn't need it. There's a very rare type of person that doesn't.

There's good kinds of crazy.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Maybe Sagan was brilliant and NDT is just some 110'er that got affirmative action'd into his place?

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I usually love listening to NDT but as the years have progressed his ego has seemingly expanded, and he's always interrupting the people he's speaking to. He'll literally end his point, and when the person starts to move to a different question or subject, he'll interrupt them mid sentence and tail on what he just ended on. I couldn't finish it because it was so egregious

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It's amusing how rogan has turned into some strange advertising device. Major comedians show up when they've got something to shill.

And no bones are made about it. I approve.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What is it, like 90+ million views/listens? I'm guessing anyone who listens regularly already knew Bill Burr had a new special, but like anything I'm sure there are like 50 million casuals who just see his name and go "oh yeah, sure, he's funny" and learn about it there.

I like that aspect of it, the comedians using each others' platforms to broaden their audiences. I never would have listened to Theo Von if Rogan hadn't had Tom Segura on, and then Tom Segura trolled his audience with Theogate. And Theo Von had motherfucking Amanda Knox on the other day, that was nuts. Shit is great.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Dan Akyroyd is a crazy person. lol.

And probably still doing coke. He sniffs SO much even for like a 90 year old man.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nick Bostrom was hard to listen to. He's talking about some highly figurative concepts and Joe was just like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been chipping away at the Bill Burr one on my drives to/from work. Almost had to pull over this morning when they were talking about the sounds a deer makes when it's getting eaten by a bear and Bill said "That's what I sound like when I try to touch my toes in the morning".

iannis

Musty Nester
Nick Bostrom was hard to listen to. He's talking about some highly figurative concepts and Joe was just like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Ouch. It's even worse than usual. He keeps bringing up Moore's Law whenever this subject comes up. Has he noticed the practical limitations on that result in plateaus, or has he just heard about the exponential curve of innovation and it blew his mind? I feel like he hasn't taken notice of how much computing (the rate of growth) has actually slowed in the past five years. Once intel started to have to account for electron tunneling even the marketing people stopped talking so much about unlimited growth opportunities. Computing has innovated in other ways.

Bostrom tries to make this point to him. I'm not sure if Joe quite took the point.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Unlike with Tyson I feel like I always learn something when Sean Carroll is on:

This episode was no different

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users