The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couldn't make it through Bostrom episode, which is a shame because he's talking about some really interesting issues. Bostrom's not that great of a speaker at the best of times and Joe constantly throwing new stuff into the conversation just derails it further.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
Unlike with Tyson I feel like I always learn something when Sean Carroll is on:

This episode was no different
Because Carroll actually tries to teach people shit instead of being a condescending asshole that wants to show off how smart he is.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Maybe Sagan was brilliant and NDT is just some 110'er that got affirmative action'd into his place?

Sagan was able to critique things like religion or astrology without a kind of animus that NDT seems to have

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Couldn't make it through Bostrom episode, which is a shame because he's talking about some really interesting issues. Bostrom's not that a great of speaker at the best of times and Joe constantly throwing new stuff into the conversations just derails it further.

That was one of the most glaring instances were Joe's stupid really fucked up the interview. There were several points he just couldnt process the concept in anyway. There were other times I think it happened, but the guest was able to continue talking and kind of monologue it, but Bostrom isnt that type of person.

Was damn good just to hear him speak tho, will definitely look up lectures he does if I can find them later.

Sagan was able to critique things like religion or astrology without a kind of animus that NDT seems to have

Thats b/c he is an intellectual charlatan

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was one of the most glaring instances were Joe's stupid really fucked up the interview. There were several points he just couldnt process the concept in anyway. There were other times I think it happened, but the guest was able to continue talking and kind of monologue it, but Bostrom isnt that type of person.

Was damn good just to hear him speak tho, will definitely look up lectures he does if I can find them later.

This is a decent video on the Simulation Argument, there's a few Ted talks about AI by him too. He's really smart, just not a very skilled speaker. NDT, for all his flaws, is really good at laying out ideas in an engaging way and getting Joe to shut up and listen. Lawrence Krauss and Michael Shermer did a good job as well.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
This is a decent video on the Simulation Argument, there's a few Ted talks about AI by him too. He's really smart, just not a very skilled speaker. NDT, for all his flaws, is really good at laying out ideas in an engaging way and getting Joe to shut up and listen. Lawrence Krauss and Michael Shermer did a good job as well.

I've read / watched a lot about it, I was thinking Bostrom might have some other work that would be interesting.

iannis

Musty Nester
Because Carroll actually tries to teach people shit instead of being a condescending asshole that wants to show off how smart he is.
the only time I don't like Carroll is when he's lecturing atheists on how to live a moral life.

And I don't really dislike that he does it. Given his starting point it is the responsible thing for him to do. It's just not for me and I sort of wander off.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm really liking Rob Zombie so far. He's down to earth and casually funny. The last night at the carnival story was pretty funny.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Rob Zombie and Sean Carroll were both great. Carroll especially. Like, I kept having to stop NDT because he's just fucking yelling at Joe and talking about random shit. I kept having to stop Carroll because he's talking about super interesting, in depth stuff in a way that is easy to parse, but not while I'm working, so I'd have to go back. Like that dude a lot.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

skip it, dumb muy thai guys. Only thing worse to listen to than mma fighters is white muy thai guys.

i think one of em is an announcer actually, but who gives a fuck, boring is boring.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sean carroll was a great listen, he's busy explaining science to you b/c he is smart.

while NDT, is busy reinforcing the assertion that he is smart with science trivia.

• 1Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
Couldn't make it through Bostrom episode, which is a shame because he's talking about some really interesting issues. Bostrom's not that great of a speaker at the best of times and Joe constantly throwing new stuff into the conversation just derails it further.

Thats b/c he is an intellectual charlatan

The episode was literally 30 minutes longer than it should have been all because Joe couldn't wrap his head around probability. He kept saying "I know what you're saying" when he obviously had no idea what he was saying. It was painful to listen to. And when Bostrom tried to help by creating the anesthesia thought experiment and Joe responded with "well that sounds like a recipe for madness" I nearly tore my hair out. He doesn't even understand the purpose of a thought experiment

Jive Turkey

Karen
Once intel started to have to account for electron tunneling even the marketing people stopped talking so much about unlimited growth opportunities.

Was there not someone on his show recently that explained exactly this to him? Or am I thinking of the Sam Harris podcast?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was there not someone on his show recently that explained exactly this to him? Or am I thinking of the Sam Harris podcast?
it was a jre

i'm pretty sure it was this one where the nerd was talking about "the simulation" and how everything is more powerful and joe is like "well moores law..." it'll always be more powerful and the nerd was like, well... tunneling tho.

don't expect me to give you a timestamp, i was listening to it while changing my car rotors, i can tell you it was on my passenger rear rotor i heard it tho!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He had The Black Keys on, was pushing Pat Carnahan hard to start a podcast. I liked it.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Listening to old episodes I skipped

Adam ruins everything guy - what a fag.

During the trans athlete debate he keeps saying “speaking to my trans friends” and “my friend has a trans kid”

.01 percent of the population. And you know a bunch of them? If that doesn’t tell you that you live in a bubble or a cult, then I don’t know what to tell you.

You are probably as likely to meet someone who was struck by lightning as being trans. And if I was in a room full of people glitching our from lightning strikes I would think something was wrong.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

During the trans athlete debate he keeps saying “speaking to my trans friends” and “my friend has a trans kid”

.01 percent of the population. And you know a bunch of them? If that doesn’t tell you that you live in a bubble or a cult, then I don’t know what to tell you.

You are probably as likely to meet someone who was struck by lightning as being trans. And if I was in a room full of people glitching our from lightning strikes I would think something was wrong.
pretty sure he lives in fagifornia

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

That guy was fucking horrible. The only compliment I could give him is that at least he wasn't AGGRESSIVE with his SJW feels bullshit.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
He’s a total beta and would roll over and take it on anything joe pushed back on, then try to spin it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He’s a total beta and would roll over and take it on anything joe pushed back on, then try to spin it
it was fun listening to the fag try to argue with Joe fucking Rogan on trans in sports

Joe Rogan, one of the few 10s of ppl on earth that has seen thousands of combats matches, in competition, on tape and live, 2ft away.

like Adam, did you research who you're talking to?