The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

iannis

Musty Nester
oh god, I just listened to the Adam Eget one. At the -very- tag end Adam goes "Hail Bob!"

I knew it, I fucking knew it. lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was his performance in Silicon Valley something that asian people found offensive in general? idk, honestly the only asian people I know are Korean and they didn't say anything, if they did, until listening to the podcast I never really thought about it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Was his performance in Silicon Valley something that asian people found offensive in general? idk, honestly the only asian people I know are Korean and they didn't say anything, if they did, until listening to the podcast I never really thought about it.

In california with their hypersensitivity? I'm sure that he got feedback that his character was a sterotype and that he wasn't promoting the right type of image.

Which... his character -was- a stereotype and he was -not- promoting the right type of image. But silicon valley was a comedy. Do they think Ulrich was promoting the right type of image? Or the main dude with his super assbergers?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In california with their hypersensitivity? I'm sure that he got feedback that his character was a sterotype and that he wasn't promoting the right type of image.

Which... his character -was- a stereotype and he was -not- promoting the right type of image. But silicon valley was a comedy. Do they think Ulrich was promoting the right type of image? Or the main dude with his super assbergers?
which is fine, but he can't be a hypocrite about it and say william huang set asians back 10years, when he did just as worse

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Holy shit Lanx is offended by a racial stereotype. The room is spinning.

For what it's worth, here's Jimmy replying to that exact issue.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Episode Note:
Jocko Willink is a decorated retired Navy SEAL officer, author of the book Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win, and co-founder of Echelon Front, where he is a leadership instructor, speaker, and executive coach. His podcast, The Jocko Podcast, is also available for download via Apple Podcasts & Stitcher. @Jocko Podcast

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Loved that one a lot
I haven't finished it yet. I was just at the point where they were saying "The Rock for President." I laughed, then I cried because It realized The Rock would probably do a better job than Trump or Biden and then I laughed again.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, Jocko's awesome. The police thing was a little frustrating, like Jocko starts off that segment by talking about how he understands what people, generally, mean when they talk about this "defund the police" shit,but then for the rest of the discussion keeps referencing some argument about not having police, which isn't what that's about, or "now they just have no police in Minneapolis" which isn't the case. Talks about training, which is good. Then they talk about Floyd, they never really address that this is the training, that dude was training those new officers, he and people like him are the people who would be conducting this training that he's talking about. I think the instinct to look at everything through the lens of the battlefield is not really appropriate, or helpful. But in instances where there is a comparison I think he does a good job of laying out hey, these are the expectations of our soldiers when operating in theater, and our cops aren't even close to meeting that standard, much less any higher standard we'd actually want from a domestic police force.

Also, I listen to Jocko a lot, I like him, he's very intelligent and inspiring and great. Even though I think his position there is colored a bit by personal relationships, he's pretty consistent with his "extreme ownership" philosophy in which he paints most of the problems we are seeing as leadership failures. I think mostly in policing you don't see that. Sometimes, and it's refreshing when you do, but mostly when there are issues it seems more like a rush to assign blame rather than take ownership of the environment that the leadership has allowed to become the norm.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think the instinct to look at everything through the lens of the battlefield is not really appropriate, or helpful.
It is exactly this. In the military you're trained to kill your enemy. There is a legitimate argument that this shouldn't be how cops are trained. That being said it is pretty obvious that if you give a police dept money and say go find training they are going to go find the most 'badass' person they can. Sometimes that is Steven Segal, and sometimes its a Navy Seal.

iannis

Musty Nester
Buried underneath jocko was joe saying he's definitely leaving California and that the primary reason is how bad the state government is.

So good luck with another Bernie voter, texas! Lol.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Buried underneath jocko was joe saying he's definitely leaving California and that the primary reason is how bad the state government is.

So good luck with another Bernie voter, texas! Lol.
Nah, he'll move to Colorado. He loves it there, he's lived there before, and there's no way he's moving to a state that doesn't have legal, recreational weed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It is exactly this. In the military you're trained to kill your enemy. There is a legitimate argument that this shouldn't be how cops are trained. That being said it is pretty obvious that if you give a police dept money and say go find training they are going to go find the most 'badass' person they can. Sometimes that is Steven Segal, and sometimes its a Navy Seal.
I think it's more complicated than that. For instance, both Jocko and I were in the same branch of the military. But to equate him and me, or to task us with the same thing just because we were both sailors, shit is dumb. He couldn't do my job and god knows I couldn't do his, at least not well.

There was a case up here in Fairfax recently. Some crackhead told EMT he wanted to go in for detox, he's out on the street doing crackhead shit, muttering and rambling and pacing and shit. And the video, from one cop's perspective you see it from, you get the story. He's talking to this guy, he's staying super cool, the EMTs are talking to this guy, getting him towards the ambulance, there's no hostility or danger here at all, this is basic everyday shit especially for EMTs. Out of fucking nowhere comes another cop out of frame with the taser on this dude, dude falls and smacks his head in the road, cop then climbs on top of him putting his hands behind his back and smashing his face with the taser while he tries to cuff him. That's were I checked out of the video, seen too many police brutality videos, but this is kind of a case in point of what Jocko was saying. What the fuck is this guy thinking? Who trained him? What was he trained? Why the fuck is some guy who creams his jeans at the scenes in The Wire of the cops jumping off on a corner performing tasks that are essentially humanitarian in nature? It isn't good for anyone.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Jocko goes hard in the paint with military culture, but he wouldn't be jocko if he didnt.

His archnemesis is a cal tech professor named nerdo. Eventually they will have to fight in the streets to determine the gate of pasadena.

Honestly jocko seems like a real roman. One of the good ones, like aurellius.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I think it's more complicated than that.
What the fuck is this guy thinking? Who trained him? What was he trained?
I agree it is definitely more complicated than that. I think you're asking the right question here. Another relevant question is how does an individual that acts this way remain on the job? Unfortunately this is where the questions about cop culture and how/if they hold one another accountable for this kind of stuff comes into play. If they AREN'T holding one another accountable then they're going to rightfully shoulder the blame for this continuing for so long.

Flip side of the coin, people are trying to fuck cops up on the regular. Hard to be the good guy

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's hard sometimes to be fair to the other side, especially in a situation like this where so much more is expected. And I know cops, I know they aren't all like that and have weird, hard jobs. The feel-good videos you see of cops talking with protestors, engaging with people, the big one a couple of weeks ago with the police chief, unfortunately those don't have the same impact as the violence videos do. Seeing a helpless dude beat in the face by a cop who is probably just a regular ass guy, that shit is jarring in a way that is visceral. Some kind of innate primate shit.

I think the comparison of Jocko to Aurellius is a good one. He's a very thoughtful dude, on any one point you disagree with him on I bet you could discuss it with him at length and come away both happy with it even if no one convinced the other.

I bet he is also a brutal fucking taskmaster to work for. I bet he rewards his people very generously but he expects a LOT.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am excited for this one, I hope it is good.

Steve Schirripa & Michael Imperioli were co-stars on the HBO show The Sopranos, and are now together hosting a re-watch podcast called "Talking Sopranos" that is available now on Apple Podcasts.

• 2Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I am excited for this one, I hope it is good.

Steve Schirripa & Michael Imperioli were co-stars on the HBO show The Sopranos, and are now together hosting a re-watch podcast called "Talking Sopranos" that is available now on Apple Podcasts.

I enjoyed it quite a bit though I was surprised there was very little talk about the Soporanos. Some talk about Gandolfini and that's about it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Steve Schirripa is totally laid back and in a good mood. Michael Imperioli seems a bit more reserved.

The funniest part was when they were talking about Michael winning Celebrity Chopped. He beat the lady soccer player that ripped her jersey off when they won the world cup. Joe & Steve were like, "Michael did you rip your shirt off in celebration?" Steve says, "You should have pulled your balls out!"- lol

Joe & Steve talk a lot about the good old days comedy & comedians.

It's a decent one. Nothing special, but not bad.