The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it may be an overly kind view of China and the effectiveness of their policy. What she said is true, the next question to ask is "what effect does that have?". Much less than you would hope or maybe even expect.

But yeah, it was a good episode.
I don't know how effective it is, Not an expert on Chinese greenhouse emissions. I read that they are now projected to beat their planned deadline for 2030 for stopping growth of greenhouse emissions, which they are tying to the market shit. Which seems like way too little too late, but that wasn't her point I dont think, more just that there's this to in the toolbox to deal with it and us, the bastion of western capitalism, can't seem to do anything with it even if our competitors are.

The most interesting points she made had nothing to do with climate change, i think. Fuckin radium.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The most interesting points she made had nothing to do with climate change, i think. Fuckin radium.
but it's so pretty
-1x-1.jpg

the radium girls is even sadder, i think they brought lawsuits against the company, but the company just dragged out the lawsuit until they all eventually died. (i think they had one survivor)

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't know how effective it is, Not an expert on Chinese greenhouse emissions. I read that they are now projected to beat their planned deadline for 2030 for stopping growth of greenhouse emissions, which they are tying to the market shit. Which seems like way too little too late, but that wasn't her point I dont think, more just that there's this to in the toolbox to deal with it and us, the bastion of western capitalism, can't seem to do anything with it even if our competitors are.

I'm not an expert in China either, I just know that they account for the bulk of world air pollution. So if they've got a program in place to limit it I hate to think of how bad it would be if it were an effective strategy. Somehow I think it's a tax that no one is paying. Which does not invalidate her observation and might have been kind of her point in a way. The Chinese are at least willing to pay lip service to this idea, America isn't even willing to pay it lip service. A journey of a thousand miles and all.

Yeah, that part was great. People tend to overlook that human testing isn't rare in the medical field. We very much agree to not talk about it. And of -course- it's still going on today. This 23andme shit is nothing but that. Back in the 90's when they were harvesting ovum is a little more exact. I can't see how 23andme is immedately harmful in the way radium was. But what do I know, i'm time bounded. It might be that the research 23andme serves ends up producing the worst eugenics program our race has ever suffered. And it might not. It's not exact but it's in the same area.

Heroin is called Heroin because when it was first produced they suspected it might be a wonder drug. Well, shit, they weren't exactly wrong. Just not exactly right, either.

Joe himself has been shot up with stem cells down mexico way... Maybe that's not radium, but it's the exact same thing. Radium is so captivating because it was such an obviously bad idea even at the time. Thalidamide babies, she could have talked about that one too. This is a problem that's getting worse instead of better, and a lot of it is driven by profit and the dreaded BIGPHARMA. They'll look back at all of our dick and brainpills in 3 generations the way we look back on radium.

For all that though, it usually goes better than worse. It's easy to be too critical. There are abuses, but that does not mean they are all abuses. There are tradgedies, but the bulk of the time it works out beneficially. My uncle has a friend that underwent an experimental treatment for pancreatic cancer. Seriously even the doctor was like "I'm pretty sure this is legal, but if you die don't sue me ok?" 8 years later, he's still alive.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Has to be a must watch

James Lindsay is an author, mathematician, and political commentator. His latest book, co-authored with Helen Pluckrose, Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity―and Why This Harms Everybody will be available on August 25, 2020.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
But yeah, it was a good episode.

I thought that it was interesting that the slaver companies tried to rationalize what they did because they said plantation slaves had a better life than where they came from in Africa. You can't just set aside the fact that you are property being forced to work against your will, but on the other hand, Africa probably was a war torn shithole then and it has been for a large part of the time since then. Black people in the US definitely had it worse than white people in the US for a very long time. On the other hand, if you compared it to the lives of the descendents of the relatives of slaves who stayed in Africa, it might not be such an obvious choice. History has a lot of things like this. Israel probably never would have been formed if not for the pogroms and the holocaust. Countries in which were brutally colonized by Europeans tend to have a higher standard of living now than neighboring countries that were not.

Not saying that slavery and genocide are anything but terrible, but it's funny how things work out sometimes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I know who he is, hence saying it will be a must watch

I'm posting it for people who may not know. If you notice, generally when people post the episode in this thread, they also post the description so we know who the guest is.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don't like Rogan or the show. I haven't listened in years. But I will listen to the James Lindsay episode.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
This russel guy... "Oh yeah, i've been meaning to call Bob Newhart. Just to check in on the guy you know".

lol, he's not awful honestly. He's whatever. But this man can not STOP namedropping.

Califnorniaguy to the max.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I had never heard Lindsay before, he's ok. Peters was boring, turned it off.
You read the GG thread, no? The fake papers Lindsay and friends published were discussed there.

And I was right about my dislike for this podcast, it’s poop. Joe is an uniformed buffoon, listening to him it’s like listening to an average person in a bar. Very dull and not educational or entertaining.

• 1Garbage

iannis

Musty Nester
That works out fairly well most of the time. His guests have to get meathead joe to understand it.

He's done deep dives on wildlife conservation, hunting, nutrition (that doctor patrick is so damn boring), and various fringe science conspiracy theories (stuff that would fit in chuck's thread). But yeah, you're not going to get many deep dives on hard science. If you do it'll probably be on accident. Because joe is going to try to steer it into a broad range of comprehension, and you do sacrifice specificity in order to do that.

Have to listen to Caroll for those kind of deep dives. That one he did recently about quantum computing and AI was only partially intelligible. Just specialized ideas they were discussing.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That works out fairly well most of the time. His guests have to get meathead joe to understand it.

He's done deep dives on wildlife conservation, hunting, nutrition (that doctor patrick is so damn boring), and various fringe science conspiracy theories (stuff that would fit in chuck's thread). But yeah, you're not going to get many deep dives on hard science. If you do it'll probably be on accident. Because joe is going to try to steer it into a broad range of comprehension, and you do sacrifice specificity in order to do that.

Have to listen to Caroll for those kind of deep dives. That one he did recently about quantum computing and AI was only partially intelligible. Just specialized ideas they were discussing.
Caroll goes too SJW too often, I hate that shit. But I am not talking about hard science. As an example, I think Conversation with Tyler is an incredible podcast and that shit is about everything but hard sciences. What makes it good is that the interviewer makes it an effort to know his interviewee and their work. Joe knows nothing. Why bother listening to a guy with similar level of knowledge as a random guy on the street?

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You read the GG thread, no? The fake papers Lindsay and friends published were discussed there.

And I was right about my dislike for this podcast, it’s poop. Joe is an uniformed buffoon, listening to him it’s like listening to an average person in a bar. Very dull and not educational or entertaining.
Nah, I don't read that much anymore.

My favorite episodes are the ones dealing with experts on in depth subjects that you don't hear about everywhere. Like the chick who was on before Lindsay, she talked about the history of corporations using obfuscation of personal responsibility to justify horrible tragedies for decades on end and influence society. That's huge, and awesome, and no one ever talks about it, that I'm aware of, in any mainstream venue or with any degree of intelligence. For me, if it's interesting then I like that Joe needs things explained to him, because it allows me to get more into the subject matter.

I'd argue that if any one of us had his platform, we wouldn't run it like that, we'd probably do a ton of research and background and have notes out the ass for any one of these conversations. I think that's one of the strong points of the show though, that he doesn't do much of that, instead it's revealed to him (and the audience) over the course of the hour. idk, not perfect but is what is.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That said, sometimes it's just fucking boring, like Joe and his friend Russell sitting around talking shop for 3 hours. The "comedian friend" episodes can be good, but boy can they suck dicks as well.

• 1Like