The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Heads up the co owner of Oklahoma joes ( not the current owner of Joes his old partner) is opening up a Okie Joes in DC. Pretty stoked even if it won't be Joes. The BBQ here is atrocious.
This is why they recently changed their name to Joes KC here in KC. That guy still had rights to the name but hasn't been involved with the current restaurants for many years and he plans on franchising the shit out of the "Okkahoma Joes" name all over the country. He wants to be the next Famous Daves/Rib Crib...yikes

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I totally forgot about this thread until this morning. I tried taking a couple of pics at Danny Edwards last week.

And yes, my phone is a potato

rrr_img_128242.jpg

rrr_img_128243.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've never been to quite a few of those...but once you narrow it down to the Sweet 16 I think the only ones I've not tried is Smoekbox and Fireside.

LCs has advanced WAY too far, I don't like them much at all anymore. The quality of their meat is horrendous. Last time I got burnt ends there a couple years ago, they were just cubes of pure fat.

That bracket will end up being a Joe's vs Q39 final.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I still haven't been to Char Bar. I guess I got a "hipster" vibe somewhere along the line. Q39 was good but I'm not sure how good in a bracket like this, and I think they're way on the hipster end of the spectrum too. I'm kind of surprised that voters put BBs over Arthur Bryants. Also not sure how RJ's bob-be-que shack lost to Zarda. They're not God-tier BBQ but I'd place them above Zarda myself. I've still never been impressed by Smokin Guns, which is weird because supposedly they come from a competition team don't they?

LCs has advanced WAY too far, I don't like them much at all anymore. The quality of their meat is horrendous. Last time I got burnt ends there a couple years ago, they were just cubes of pure fat.
That's sad to hear. Though I've had widely varying results on BBQ before (bad visit, then good visit, then bad visit...) so who knows.

That bracket will end up being a Joe's vs Q39 final.
Probably, but I'd hate to choose between Joes and Jack Stack.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
G and I tried Char Bar watched the Royals clinch the division there...good beer and liquor selection, yummy dessert and good local coffee ...can you tell where this is going...Meh bbq. Wouldn't go back for their version.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I did try Hawg Jaw in NKC the other day. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't Oklahoma Joes, either. I got a 1/2lb of burnt ends with their Working Mans special. The burnt ends weren't bad, but half a pound felt...light. I was definitely channeling my inner KC BBQ McCheese McCheese

I still haven't tried Slaps in KCK; think it's up past Strawberry Hill somewhere? I really need to block out the time to go there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Q39 is still my favorite of the moment. Everything is top-notch except for their god-awful beans

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Q39 is still my favorite of the moment. Everything is top-notch except for their god-awful beans

BRO! Do you ever go to the Antioch location? I think it was Haywards previously. A friend of mine is waitstaff there, she is good peoples.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the white bean casoulouloulette or whatever the hell it is.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Plowboys in Blue Springs has improved a ton since they opened a couple years ago. (Sauce too sweet for me)

Jazzy B's (Foood truck BBQ) opened a place near Lees Summit and Lake Jacomo. (Average IMO)

• 1Like

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Plowboys in Blue Springs has improved a ton since they opened a couple years ago. (Sauce too sweet for me)

Jazzy B's (Foood truck BBQ) opened a place near Lees Summit and Lake Jacomo. (Average IMO)

You sound like you might live in my neck of the woods. In that same area, check out Porky's Blazin BBQ. It's solid but only open on weekends, and only accepts cash. Its out at the far Eastern end of Colburn Rd where it intersects with Buckner Tarsney. BBQ sandwhiches the size of the plate. Their spicy sauce is indeed spicy.

Also the BBQ Nachos at Plowboys are amazing

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
You sound like you might live in my neck of the woods. In that same area, check out Porky's Blazin BBQ. It's solid but only open on weekends, and only accepts cash. Its out at the far Eastern end of Colburn Rd where it intersects with Buckner Tarsney. BBQ sandwhiches the size of the plate. Their spicy sauce is indeed spicy.

Also the BBQ Nachos at Plowboys are amazing

I always wondered about that place.... I never see it opened.

Yeah, I live on south 7 in Blue Springs, so I will take a chance on it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Erronius Erronius you're from KC?! Just landed for a small conference. On the hunt for good BBQ that's open late, within walking distance from Crown center

• 1Like