The Kansas City BBQ "get-together and pig out" thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
It's 12:30am and I'd punch my sweet old mother in the neck right now for some Oklahoma Joe ribs.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's 6:10pm and I'm half tempted to drive somewhere for some BBQ, now that you mentioned it.
tongue.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really quality BBQ places have been popping up in SF and Oakland lately. I've been really enjoying them. Went to a place yesterday with the most delicious vinegar-based BBQ I've ever had. I usually don't even like that style, but I couldn't stop dipping my bread in the stuff.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet there has been some good BBQ around Oakland for a few years, but it's been tucked away in some rougher neighborhoods.

I'd actually like to try some of the Carolina-style BBQ, just to give it a whirl. I think it's the only major 'type' of BBQ I don't have much experience with.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Oh for sure. There have always been great BBQ joints in the rougher areas of Oakland. Served on paper plates with a slice of Wonder Bread and everything. Some of these new spots are definitely tailored to the whiter crowd. The difference being much nicer interior, a slightly larger menu, and an awesome beer selection.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Have any of you KC folks tried Bandana's BBQ? I'm pretty sure I drove past one located in Blue Springs or Lee's Summit, I can't remember which. Was just curious what your take on it was.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Bandanas is a national chain. Its alright, but not in the top 10 best places in KC. Its about on par with something like Rib Crib or Famous Daves.

Its completely acceptable BBQ. If you were eating BBQ in say, Vermont, it might be the best place around for miles. In KC, or Memphis, or Austin, etc, it doesn't quite stack up.

alternately, if you are ever driving through KC on I-70, some of the better places that are REAL close to the highway are Zarda BBQ in Blue springs, only about 1 mile south of the Highway 7 exit on I70, and theres a Gates on 40 Hwy in Independence, only about 1 mile NorthWest of the 40Hwy exit off I-70(first exit past Noland Rd if you are headed Westbound on I70)

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Well, I probably should have explained more. Bandana's are pretty common over here in St. Louis, and I ate at one yesterday and it made me wonder if any of you folks had tried it. If I eat there, I usually just get chicken, because it's hard to fuck up smoking a chicken.

I'm like you... it's just OK.

I'll have to remember Zarda next time I come through, thanks!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Kansas City isn't even in Kansas. How can you allow such a lie to go on like this?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Well, the good side is in Missouri. The Kansas side is still KC, KS, but slums to the north and fucking JoCo faggots on the south.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
So, I tried a new BBQ place in St. Louis yesterday. It has the worst name ever for a BBQ place, but the reviews were decent so we thought we'd drive up and try it. BBQ ASAP is the name of the place.

We had a little of the burnt ends, pulled pork, brisket and the surprise winner was PASTRAMI. It was unfucking believable. I even got a pound to go and had a sandwich today, and it was just as good. I'd never had pastrami at a BBQ place before, but it made sense, since it's just basically smoked corned beef. I've had some really good jewish deli pastrami before, but this wins hands down.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I need to find another good BBQ place in the Philadelphia area. There's a place I love called Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse, but it's kind of far from me (an hour) so I don't go that often. However, every Monday for like $20, it's an all you can eat BBQ buffet. They have every one of their items in a buffet line. It's awesome but way too popular anymore.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just a word to KC folks or people visiting. We were in town to see KC clinch the series and see friends, and ate at Char Bar. A tad pricey, but the ribs were decent. The rest was just ok. Disappointed in the burnt ends.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Char bar is hipsters attempting to make trendy BBQ. Place hasn't even been around for a year yet, I'll be surprised if it's around for another.

Whoever made that decision for your group should be bludgeoned

Is the kind of place that would have "mixologists" rather than bartenders and probably uses the word "infusion" at least a half dozen times on their menu.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Char bar is hipsters attempting to make trendy BBQ. Place hasn't even been around for a year yet, I'll be surprised if it's around for another.

Whoever made that decision for your group should be bludgeoned

Is the kind of place that would have "mixologists" rather than bartenders and probably uses the word "infusion" at least a half dozen times on their menu.
Yeah, the guy who picked it ended up getting a fucking plain hamburger, no bun. What the hell?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Nothing wrong with bartenders that actually know how to make drinks. Bad food is inexcusable though.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Heads up the co owner of Oklahoma joes ( not the current owner of Joes his old partner) is opening up a Okie Joes in DC. Pretty stoked even if it won't be Joes. The BBQ here is atrocious.