The Ketogenic Diet/Recipe Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
still slowly figuring out how to do the lazy man's budget keto diet, recently discovered a few frozen meals that are great for keto, two different brands...

first, and lesser of the two, i found the Atkins frozen meals are pretty good. particularly:

09163-Pepperoni-Pizza-Product-Shot_2018.jpg

and
00901-Meat-Lasagna-Porduct-Shot_2018.jpg

the website shows some other meals that look great but i can't find locally... particularly appetizing looking are the Beef Fiesta Taco Bowl, Chili con Carne, Italian-Style Pasta Bake, and Mexican-Style Chicken and Vegetables.

the other brand is called Real Good, and i'm way more impressed with them. only had these two so far, but they were seriously awesome:

real good supreme.jpg

and
real good enchilada.jpg

the "crust" of that pizza is a big sheet of white meat chicken. very unusual but it works out fucking great. super tasty.

there's way more options for these too, but again, i don't have access to many of them locally. for the chicken crust there's also cheese and pepperoni. they also make cauliflower crust pizzas that i (again) haven't tried yet, but the flavor options for that are cheese, pepperoni, veggie, and margherita.

they also make mini snack bite pizzas in pepperoni, three cheese, and bacon flavors. looking at their website, i should be able to get these at my local supermarket, guess i gotta look harder next time i'm there.

other enchilada flavors are cheese, beef, and verde pork.

more from the website, they also make chicken poppers:

real good chicken poppers.jpg

in jalapeno & cheddar, mozarella & pepperoni, and artichoke & cheese flavors

they've also got a line of breakfast products, but i can't find any information about them on their website, or easily on other pages... looks like some breakfast pizzas and otherwise just like meat / cheese / egg scrambles (which, meh, scrambles are easy enough to make at home vs. their other products)

the Atkins stuff is okay, a little cheaper so i buy it more often because of that, and not great enough that i would have bothered posting about just them, but the Real Good products that i tried are SO DAMN GOOD that i felt like i had to share them with you guys. if the rest of the products are nearly as good as the pizzas or enchiladas i've had then they're absolutely worth checking out.

side note -- these products are all more of a focus on protein than fat. they have decent fat content for the most part too, but never better than a 50/50 fat/protein ratio. i add sour cream to the enchiladas, and butter to the pizzas, to make them a little more keto.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
bought a 10lb box of bacon for $19, and bought a whole 7lb sirloin strip for $27. so i've been eating a lot of bacon and steak.

lately i sous vide the steak (thanks again Bandwagon Bandwagon ), then when it's just about done i fry up a few strips of bacon, then sear the steak in the fresh hot bacon grease.

then when i eat the steak, i put a large dollop of sour cream on the plate to dip each bite in. sometimes with A1 sauce (my steaks don't need it, the stuff just tastes really good mixed with sour cream)

then often a bowl of sugar-free whipped cream with a Quest protein cookie (~4g carbs) broken up and crumbled on top of it for desert.

what an awesome diet

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That poor steak...

Instead of sous vide and then searing in bacon grease, and masking the flavor in A1 and sour cream allow me to make a suggestion.

Get 3-4 cloves of garlic and 2-3 sprigs of rosemary, salt the steak liberally, then put the garlic, rosemary and a big pad of butter in a hot pan, sear the steak in that, flipping every 30 seconds to a minute depending on how high the heat is. At the first flip put another pad of butter in. After it's got a good sear finish the steak in a 250 degree oven. Discard the garlic and rosemary when you put the steak in the oven.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That poor steak...

Instead of sous vide and then searing in bacon grease, and masking the flavor in A1 and sour cream allow me to make a suggestion.

Get 3-4 cloves of garlic and 2-3 sprigs of rosemary, salt the steak liberally, then put the garlic, rosemary and a big pad of butter in a hot pan, sear the steak in that, flipping every 30 seconds to a minute depending on how high the heat is. At the first flip put another pad of butter in. After it's got a good sear finish the steak in a 250 degree oven. Discard the garlic and rosemary when you put the steak in the oven.

I've done it basically like that before. Fresh ground garlic powder from the local mom and pop meat market tho rather than cloves. But add Lawry's seasoning salt to it. Then seared in a cast iron with butter. It's damn good that way too, but the bacon grease truly ends up giving it a MUCH better sear.

The steak tastes just fine on it's own (others that I've made it for via this recipe don't do the sour cream and A1 and I don't always), I just really enjoy the taste of A1.

I know it's the hipster thing to do to knock A1, but I like it once I'm awhile.

And the sour cream is essential for making the meal keto. The protein/fat ratio is way off without adding it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Oh, tried in an oven too, forgot about that suggestion. Didn't like it that way, ended up making it too well done in the middle. Quick flash sear in the bacon grease is perfect for how I like it

Khane

Well I'll just leave you to it then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
That poor steak...

Is that you Gordon?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Been making these lately:

Amazing Keto Garlic Knots - Savory Tooth

So damn good. My girlfriend, who doesn't do keto, was eating some Pizza Hut pan pizza... she tried a bite of one of these keto garlic knots between slices, and her eyes lit and she ate a second bite, haha.

To me they're indistinguishable from legit carb-filled garlic knots, but it's been seven months since I've had the real thing, so who knows.

Copypasta of the recipe so you don't have to click the link and scroll through all the expository bullshit they always include before the damn recipe:

Ingredients
  • 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (roughly 1 1/2 cups)
  • 3 ounces blanched almond flour (roughly 3/4 cup)
  • 2 ounces cream cheese (4 tablespoons)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • vegetable oil spray
Toppings:

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. In a large heatproof bowl, combine all dry ingredients (almond flour, garlic, oregano, baking powder, salt) until well-mixed.
  3. Add mozzarella cheese and cream cheese to the same bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 45 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Stir until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
  4. Add the egg, stirring it in until absorbed and well-mixed. If easier, use your hands to knead once the dough is cool enough to handle.
  5. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 9 inches long, and form into a knot-like shape. Place the knots at least 1 inch apart on the prepared lined baking sheet. Spray the tops with vegetable oil.
  6. Bake at 375 F until lightly golden on top, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic knots from the oven. Set the broiler on high.
  7. In a small bowl, add butter and minced garlic. Microwave until melted. Brush the garlic butter over the tops of the garlic knots. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
  8. Return the garlic knots to the oven and broil until golden brown on top, about a minute. Serve while hot.

15471561467544938822930269910762.jpg

^ they're even pretty, these are my leftovers. Yeah, real greasy, but that's keto for ya.

Only thing I changed in the recipe was doing a little slab of butter on top of each knot when I first put them in the oven. "Spray with vegetable oil," psh, yeah right.

Almond flour keto pancakes turned out really well too, IDK why I didn't start using almond flour sooner. Going to try to make some sort of cinnamon sweet donut holes sort of thing. Ext, think I'm about to the point where I can make my own recipes with it.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone practicing intermittent fasting along with keto diet?
I've stabilized my weight after losing 30 pounds despite the fact that I occasionally eat junk food and buffet ...it is..amazing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Going Keto without being able to eat anything seed or nut related is really hard. I've been doing my best since the new year with the occasion small bits here and there that go against it and now all I drink is water and since the new year I've dropped 19lbs.

I guess it's not super Keto...but it's more close that that than anything else I suppose. Like I just ate a cookie for my treat for the day. -shrug-

Last edited:
  • 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Anyone practicing intermittent fasting along with keto diet?
I've stabilized my weight after losing 30 pounds despite the fact that I occasionally eat junk food and buffet ...it is..amazing.

yeah I bascially eat just 1-2 meals a day between 12-5 and one of those is an all vegetable sald, not eating late is pretty key, also before I found out about time restricted eating I would eat first thing in the morning, now I don't eat before noon. I found out terry cruise does that.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I don't eat breakfast and lunch. I no longer feel sleepy, more productive, and more time to do other shit and don't have to worry about " what should I eat for lunch..." When I come home, I just eat whatever is in the kitchen and that's it....

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't eat breakfast and lunch. I no longer feel sleepy, more productive, and more time to do other shit and don't have to worry about " what should I eat for lunch..." When I come home, I just eat whatever is in the kitchen and that's it....

yeah the energy, also if you don't eat all day you let your Migrating motor complex - work which helps digestion

Vinen

God is dead
So looking to start this diet in Feb. Anyone got any suggestions for reading? Goal is to lose weight and cut out drinking for a few months.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ive drastically cut sugar and carbs since the new year, and been mainting 20g net carbs a day more or less for the last couple weeks. So far only down 3 lbs. Thought it would be more dramatic. How can you really tell if you are in magical ketosis??

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Ive drastically cut sugar and carbs since the new year, and been mainting 20g net carbs a day more or less for the last couple weeks. So far only down 3 lbs. Thought it would be more dramatic. How can you really tell if you are in magical ketosis??

What sort of stuff ARE you eating?

I use ketone pee test strips. Slim Fast brand since my local Walmart sells them.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What sort of stuff ARE you eating?

I use ketone pee test strips. Slim Fast brand since my local Walmart sells them.

Breakfast:
pot of coffee with 1/3rd cup of heavy cream
1 jimmy dean eggwich (6 or 7 net carbs)

Lunch and dinner (many times combined into one meal):
various meat/fish or egg, cheese, avocado. carbless condiments like mayo, blue cheese dressing, etc.

"snacks":
small piece of bakers chocolate (no sugar or even artificial sweetener) with tsp of almond butter. (no more than once a day)
small amount of raspberries with small amount of heavy cream. (no more than once a day)
pork cracklings (sometimes with some sliced butter.)
large mug of powdered bakers chocolate with hot water and a little vanilla extract and heavy cream. (once or twice a day)

Thats 99 percent of it more or less. Sometimes the odd tablespoon of ricotta cheese, or a few nuts. Basically no vegetables besides some hearts of romaine to give my lunch or dinner some crunch. No fruits except the raspberries/blackberries as a snack every other day or so.

I know I'm staying under 50g net carbs a day, and mostly staying under 30, some days under 20.

Last edited:

Khane

Good lord, you eat baker's chocolate raw as a snack? Are your taste buds broken? That's disgusting.

How about eating a piece of beef or chicken or pork instead? I think that's usually the biggest hurdle for people to get over when switching to a ketogenic diet. They have this pre-conceived notion of what a "snack" is. Just eat leftovers dude.

P.S. Winging it and saying "I know I'm staying under 50g net" without actually weighing and measuring your food won't work. Not with a ketogenic diet. 50g is enough to knock most people out of ketosis completely. Get the strips and start weighing your food and keeping a food diary.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Good lord, you eat baker's chocolate raw as a snack? Are your taste buds broken? That's disgusting.

How about eating a piece of beef or chicken or pork instead? I think that's usually the biggest hurdle for people to get over when switching to a ketogenic diet. They have this pre-conceived notion of what a "snack" is. Just eat leftovers dude.

I do eat cheese and meat as snacks. The bakers chocolate is a once a day or less routine and its never by itself. I got some Erythritol powder that was recommended by someone here but I actually prefer bakers hot chocolate to drink without it. They say pure chocolate is healthy and I like the taste, so why not.

try it:
1 heaping tablespoon powdered bakers chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream
hot water

its gud

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Breakfast:
pot of coffee with 1/3rd cup of heavy cream
1 jimmy dean eggwich (6 or 7 net carbs)

Lunch and dinner (many times combined into one meal):
various meat/fish or egg, cheese, avocado. carbless condiments like mayo, blue cheese dressing, etc.

"snacks":
small piece of bakers chocolate (no sugar or even artificial sweetener) with tsp of almond butter. (no more than once a day)
small amount of raspberries with small amount of heavy cream. (no more than once a day)
pork cracklings (sometimes with some sliced butter.)
large mug of powdered bakers chocolate with hot water and a little vanilla extract and heavy cream. (once or twice a day)

Thats 99 percent of it more or less. Sometimes the odd tablespoon of ricotta cheese, or a few nuts. Basically no vegetables besides some hearts of romaine to give my lunch or dinner some crunch. No fruits except the raspberries/blackberries as a snack every other day or so.

I know I'm staying under 50g net carbs a day, and mostly staying under 30, some days under 20.

for some people, too much protein can knock them out of ketosis (the body can turn protein into glycogen). might be the issue?