The Last of Us

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Never played the game, understood 100% who fireflies were when they showed graffiti then mentioned "fireflies" and attacks. Didn't take a brain genius to figure it out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You guys need to stop being so sexist. Neil Cuckman would not approve.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
My only gripe with this episode was the actual clicker fight in the museum, which felt clumsy and forced. For a guy that's supposedly killed "lots" of zombies, firing a bunch of rounds into its chest and then going hand to hand with the clicker was kind of cringe-- the choreography kinda felt clunky as well. Then it's like they suddenly remember that you need to aim for the head, and it's over. Hopefully Joel gets to level up throughout the series, otherwise I'd expect zombie encounters to either be severely limited, or they'll go the inconsistent power level route a la The Boys.

Set design, special effects, acting, and everything else is top notch though.
They didn’t mention it in the show so that’s poorly executed but in the game the growth over the infected starts acting as a sort of body armor and they become more and more bulletproof starting with the head.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

My one concern is that they will make most of the show about fighting infected and not humans. The change at the end of episode 2 makes me think that's a possibility. Also curious how they are going to make winter portion of the story believable.

The preview for episode 3 mentions raiders. We also know from the @coming this season” shit they still contend with raiders.

The change at the end of episode 2 is fine, because it better highlights the limited reach of FEDRA and let’s them show off the enhanced infected tech of using the mycelium network to alert hordes

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Story. Who are the fire flies, why do they exist. A lot of faction based stuff might be covered later but that was covered in detail in the game which is glossed over here in the show. Basically if you played the game you know what’s going on. If you didn’t, there’s a shit ton being glossed over in back story building that was in the game and not in the show up to this point. They could get there, but right now if you haven’t played the game you have no fucking clue what is going on. Hey don’t blame me I’m just watching it and answering shit tons of questions in which that makes me wonder if people who didn’t play the game are completely fucking confused at this point.
Man, I'd hate to hear her watch a show like Lost or Dark. Apparently if everything isn't explained from the moment it's introduced, it's too confusing and you have to stop watching?

Didn't play the game, and obviously the Fireflies are a "rebel" faction against whatever the big city faction is. Is that true? Fuck if I know, but that's how stories work. You make conclusions based on what's shown, and adjust as needed.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll never understand the appeal of so many zombie movies, games, whatever.

Didn't play the games either. so I guess I'll ask. where are all the infected coming from 20 years later? how are new people getting infected at all at this point? population should have died down to the point of no transmission really. or, young people, new people wouldn't be dumb enough to get themselves infected. Even if the fungus transmits to all mammals, the wildlife collapse would also stop it. ...unless fungus infected animals are breeding..

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ok, Serious?

How the hell do you think his daughter is alive after that scene? Her eyes were open but clearly not alive(That part was actually well done). He attempted to do everything he could to help her and then realizing she had passed on, picked her up and held her while crying. If she had still been alive, he would have still been trying to rescue her regardless of the known outcome.

Did you need a paramedic to come up and take her vitals?
You have to understand that most people these days are fucking around on their phone while they watch TV and only looking at the screen from time to time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Man, I'd hate to hear her watch a show like Lost or Dark. Apparently if everything isn't explained from the moment it's introduced, it's too confusing and you have to stop watching?

lol

Didn't play the game, and obviously the Fireflies are a "rebel" faction against whatever the big city faction is.

Exactly, like I said - if you've watched post apocalypse tv/movies then it should be easy to understand. Governments collapse, survivors either band together or turn on each other, various factions arise out of the ashes. FEDRA should be instantly recognisable as some sort of govt agency (the acronym should make that obvious)

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll never understand the appeal of so many zombie movies, games, whatever.

Didn't play the games either. so I guess I'll ask. where are all the infected coming from 20 years later? how are new people getting infected at all at this point? population should have died down to the point of no transmission really. or, young people, new people wouldn't be dumb enough to get themselves infected. Even if the fungus transmits to all mammals, the wildlife collapse would also stop it. ...unless fungus infected animals are breeding..

They can survive 20 years. Its explained that the Fungus are capable of holding off the bacteria responsible for decay. The merge of two separate systems creates a new kind of body network that does not follow the same guidelines as fungus or mammal alone. What maintains fungus could now every well help to maintain a human body. Also, there are new ones being infected as was also stated. People are still getting killed by these things even if not at the same rate as before.

As far as transmission, they hinted at the possibility of transmission through the air. This of course would beg the question as to why everyone is not infected. This is where it goes into a bit of grey territory. What would be the range of the spores? How frequently are they released? The game touched on this but the show has yet to reveal this part of the story as it only mentions it as a rumor.

For me, the appeal is not the Zombie aspect. I think most zombie movies are popcorn flick and kind of stupid. The appeal for me comes when the explanation, while a far reach, is not absolutely impossible. It "Could" happen. Another good one that makes a person think is "28 Days Later". That one also goes with a premise that "Could" happen in just the right circumstance. The odds of any of these truly happening are extremely low, but it is interesting to watch how a society would deal with the situation. It is why I like seeing the flashbacks.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Quasi believable premise will always be scarier than total fantasy. Super rabies or mutated fungus could be plausible zombie scenarios vs dead bodies just magically walking around

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My one concern is that they will make most of the show about fighting infected and not humans. The change at the end of episode 2 makes me think that's a possibility. Also curious how they are going to make winter portion of the story believable.
Based on the casting of other characters, I wouldn't worry about that being a problem.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
As far as transmission, they hinted at the possibility of transmission through the air. This of course would beg the question as to why everyone is not infected. This is where it goes into a bit of grey territory. What would be the range of the spores? How frequently are they released? The game touched on this but the show has yet to reveal this part of the story as it only mentions it as a rumor.

I believe in the context of the show, spores are going to remain a rumor and not a reality, unlike the game. Fungus is way too good at spreading via spores to have it be remotely believable humanity would have made it 20 years if they could just get a spore in our nose and take over. The game had your gasmask be an essential piece of gear to prevent this, but in reality, we would probably need to wear one all the time to avoid getting funged.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Didn't play the game, and obviously the Fireflies are a "rebel" faction against whatever the big city faction is. Is that true? Fuck if I know, but that's how stories work. You make conclusions based on what's shown, and adjust as needed.

Yeah she was fine with Lost.

Fadaar

That guy
I believe in the context of the show, spores are going to remain a rumor and not a reality, unlike the game. Fungus is way too good at spreading via spores to have it be remotely believable humanity would have made it 20 years if they could just get a spore in our nose and take over. The game had your gasmask be an essential piece of gear to prevent this, but in reality, we would probably need to wear one all the time to avoid getting funged.

Yeah pretty much every video I've seen about the show agrees that spores would have been a bad idea for live action adaptation. You don't want actors with their faces covered and muffled dialog half the time. Ironic I know with Pedro Pascal being the lead, I'm well aware.

• 2Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
They didn’t mention it in the show so that’s poorly executed but in the game the growth over the infected starts acting as a sort of body armor and they become more and more bulletproof starting with the head.

it’s been a long time since I played the game, but I don’t remember headshots being armored over body. And if that was the case, it certainly didn’t make it to the show, where they are put down with headshots.

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Not being able to one-hit headshot kill clickers was definitely a thing in the game. But the game also had difficulty levels, so maybe on a story mode or something you could. You generally took out clickers from stealth in the game, with a shiv, or avoided them entirely by sneaking. They are the iconic infected enemy from the game and the “oh fuck there’s clickers here” feeling maintains through the entire game, even after you have a bigger arsenal and more experience.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Not being able to one-hit headshot kill clickers was definitely a thing in the game. But the game also had difficulty levels, so maybe on a story mode or something you could. You generally took out clickers from stealth in the game, with a shiv, or avoided them entirely by sneaking. They are the iconic infected enemy from the game and the “oh fuck there’s clickers here” feeling maintains through the entire game, even after you have a bigger arsenal and more experience.
^
78t4lr.jpg

Oldbased

> Than U
At least this will breed some new originality.
From the makers of the Walking Rot-The Walking Dead comes AMC's The Walking Fungi! Starring older Rick Grimes

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users