The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
That worm boss I don't remember outside of A Link to the Past, and since this is a sequel it makes sense for it to show up again.

Bruman

Golden Squire
That was the SNES version bro.
One thing that this version did remind me of from the NES version though, was the amount of freedom. Nowadays I realize there's a linear path to the NES Zelda, but back then you just went and explored and could enter a lot of the dungeons in the wrong order. This isn't exactly the same, but being able to get all the items and explore freely so early in the game, then do the dungeons however you feel like, really brings back some of that feeling.

I also enjoy some throwback enemies here and there. It's not overbearing, and I think it's a fun fight. If all of them were throwbacks, it'd be different.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
One thing that this version did remind me of from the NES version though, was the amount of freedom. Nowadays I realize there's a linear path to the NES Zelda, but back then you just went and explored and could enter a lot of the dungeons in the wrong order. This isn't exactly the same, but being able to get all the items and explore freely so early in the game, then do the dungeons however you feel like, really brings back some of that feeling.

I also enjoy some throwback enemies here and there. It's not overbearing, and I think it's a fun fight. If all of them were throwbacks, it'd be different.
Eiji Aonuma says the Wii U Zelda will be more open world like Skyrim than past Zelda games. Some of the new ideas they have implemented in this game (non linear dungeons, item renting) may be them testing and gauging player feedback for the new Wii U Zelda also.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Item renting is great idea I thought I wouldn't like it but I did. Big time.

I just saved and bought all the items as soon as possible.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I saved 3000 Rupees for the 5th bottle first, now im gonna start buying the rest of the items lol

I did find it kind of funny that the Ice Ruins actually had a little balcony, right beside a door, that had 2 skulls at the end of it.
Left skullalwayshad a red rupee, and the right skull could have a heart or 1-50 rupees every time as well.

I got bored of walking back and forth after like 5 minutes but i ended up getting like 1500+ rupees in a small amount of time

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I haven't seen the bottle yet but I have three others and I only had to buy one I think.

I have all but the ice rod so far. Have been playing for like 30 minutes in bed each night.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Bottle locations for those that just want to get them out of the way lol:
Buy one from the guy in kakariko village for 100 rupees
Message in a bottle in the river south of zoras domain, once you get the flippers.. its a side quest follow up reward.
Man under the bridge by Link's house (Light world).. swim up from the windmill dungeon location)
Bomb behind Link's abandoned house in the dark world
Donate 3000ish Rupees to the great fairy fountain in the dark world just south of the thieve's village (kakariko village).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That was the SNES version bro.
Oops!
frown.png
Sorry you are correct.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Btw, Timeline-wise, LBW takes place a couple hundred years after LttP and after Link's Awakening, but before Zelda 1:

BZpBhocCIAA3XfC.jpg:large

JEOvdNq.jpg

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Zelda's timeline is a clusterfuck. "Hero is defeated" what kind of retarded 3rd outcome is that. They at least had some quasi-justification for the split between child timeline and adult timeline.

It's all just a stupid shoehorn that you are better off not trying to piece together.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Zelda's timeline is a clusterfuck. "Hero is defeated" what kind of retarded 3rd outcome is that. They at least had some quasi-justification for the split between child timeline and adult timeline.

It's all just a stupid shoehorn that you are better off not trying to piece together.
Well, thankfully Nintendo pieced it all together officially for everyone. Just have to wrap your head around their nonsense instead of organizing it yourself.

Siliconemelons

I think of the "hero dies" timeline as seperate and completely removed from the rest of the "Skyward sword" originated timelines... I did not enjoy skyward sword's story...it was okay- but there still was "back story" to it- it really should not have had much/any...its the absolute begining!

Hope the new WiiU zelda is after Zelda 2- it still has the largest world of all the zeldas...technicaly speaking :)

Also Link to the Past's Link was in the most games, LttP, Oracles and Links Awakinging

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm talking about Nintendo's awful "piecing together". It's just as non-sensical as fan speculation always was. The timeline on the far left is stupid and arbitrary.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm talking about Nintendo's awful "piecing together". It's just as non-sensical as fan speculation always was. The timeline on the far left is stupid and arbitrary.
Yeah, it only makessomesense if you just take the left "Hero is defeated" timeline and totally remove it from the continuity of the rest. It works fine as its own alternate universe and has its own pretty straight forward line that works really well.

Also the other split timelines work okay, but they really need to take out the Minish Cup/Four Swords shit from them.

Siliconemelons

yeah to me the mythos and feel of the 'hero defeated' timeline fit together and are a bit darker and high fantasyish... The others have their own separate feel... But f it all..I can't wait to get into this game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The time line is bullshit, trying to legitimize it now is just silly
What part is bullshit? Aside from the "Hero is defeated" start of the Left timeline it's pretty solid and all of the games in it fit together.

Link to the Past -> Oracle of Ages/Seasons -> Link's Awakening -> A Link Between Worlds - > Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2.

The Middle timeline is also solid: Skyward Sword -> Ocarina or Time -> Majora's Mask -> Twilight Princess.

Then you have for the Right one: Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks.

The only thing really bullshitty is that Nintendo just should have called them their own worlds or universes, etc. Each of the three have a clear style that fits together.

Oh, and Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords 2 is pretty much its own line too.