The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lets be honest. regardless how you feel about the games Zelda has to be the most irrationally reviewed franchise of all time. I am convinced they just give these to the biggest Zelda fanboy at the office to review cause every new Zelda game is always the best game evar!

The people that love these games will have a great time. Other gamers can go and play the million other great games out right now. Safe in the knowledge if they didn't love the last dozen 3d Zelda games they won't love this one.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Jesus fucking Christ, what happened in this thread? It feels straight out of GameFaqs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ok that comparison video of WiiU vs Switch has me convinced I'll pick this up for WiiU over the weekend

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I've never been able to finish a 3D Zelda. I've tried OOT several times. I just can't seem to maintain interest for long. It always feels like a struggle so eventually I ask myself WTF I'm doing and then it'll sit for a couple of years. After a while I'll pick it up again and forget where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing and get frustrated and stop again. This pattern has repeated itself since the late 90s.

I've also tried MM, Twilight Princess, Windwaker, etc. I just can't do it. I love the the original NES and SNES games and the new ones on the DS that are LTTP style. Now I see mountains of 10/10 reviews for this game and the temptation to try another 3D Zelda returns. I think this time I'll actually remember my history and just go fire up the SNES emulator.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I've never been able to finish a 3D Zelda. I've tried OOT several times. I just can't seem to maintain interest for long. It always feels like a struggle so eventually I ask myself WTF I'm doing and then it'll sit for a couple of years. After a while I'll pick it up again and forget where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing and get frustrated and stop again. This pattern has repeated itself since the late 90s.

I've also tried MM, Twilight Princess, Windwaker, etc. I just can't do it. I love the the original NES and SNES games and the new ones on the DS that are LTTP style. Now I see mountains of 10/10 reviews for this game and the temptation to try another 3D Zelda returns. I think this time I'll actually remember my history and just go fire up the SNES emulator.

Honestly, this one seems like such a radical departure that you might as well try it out. If you get tired of playing you can apparently run straight to the boss and try to whoop him anyway.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Big Zelda fan, I even loved Skyward Sword. Gonna Wii U this when I'm done with Horizon.

Just the weapon durability thing to me absolutely means this can't be a 10/10. You have to take something off for that.

Other than that though it looks fucking fantastic. Should be fun to play on an emu some day in the future with a properly powered machine.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just the weapon durability thing to me absolutely means this can't be a 10/10. You have to take something off for that.
I'm not even through the starter area yet and I already have had to throw away like 10 weapons because my inventory is maxed. Durability is not as big of a deal as it seems and you can quick swap weapons any time.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm not even through the starter area yet and I already have had to throw away like 10 weapons because my inventory is maxed. Durability is not as big of a deal as it seems and you can quick swap weapons any time.
I'll see for myself, seems like quite a few people complaining about it though. I may fire it up for a bit to check it out for myself, hard to put Horizon down though.

Trying not to pay too close attention to this because I'm 100% going to be beating it soon as well.

spronk

FPS noob

I'm 100% the same way, the biggest turn off for me is the Peanuts style voice thing where every NPC just says "mew mew." "glork!" "zapdoo?" and shit like that instead of fully voiced. I guess Zelda is voiced in the new one but most of the NPCs don't seem to be. It feels like one of those things where if you didn't play zelda as a 8 year old kid and have the most glorious adventures, every new version is just a 7/10 game.

Growing up my shit was ultima 1-3 so yeah, those kind of story driven, ambiguous philosophical games are much more my jam

CEMU has been doing some pretty big strides recently, I'd expect BOTW to run under CEMU within a month or two and soon after that upscaled 4k texture packs for it with AA and other PC GPU effects applied.

• 1Smuggly

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I loved the Original Zelda, Adventures of Link, Link to the Past. I am the same when it comes to OOT, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword (Never even tried it). However, for some reason I loved Wind Waker on my Gamecube and played that all the way through. Will see what happens with this one :)

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys seriously didn't beat OOT?

What the fuck kind of planet am I on. Singlehandedly the greatest Zelda I've ever played

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I've tried several times as I've heard that since it came out. I can't do it. I don't know exactly why. I played the shit out of Mario 64 when it released and it was the same kind of weird N64 3D engine. OOT just never grabbed me. The goofy NPC art-style and weird bloopy voices like spronk said and those fucking yellow bugs that shat out gems or whatever were probably part of it. Before OOT, I was a Zelda fanatic. I'd beaten every game, most multiple times. I'd look forward to Fridays because it was goddamn Zelda day on The Super Mario Brothers Super Show. I collected all of the old comic books.

I even tried OOT years later on the 3DS, which boasted improved graphics and other tweaks. I made it further in that version than I did in the original, but I don't think I even made it a quarter of the way through the entire game. I kept waiting for it to get amazing and it never did.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Best Zelda ever made? This doesn't look like an "A Link to the Past" thread...#confused..

• 4Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I beat OOT when it released on N64 and even then I didn't think it was the best Zelda. I liked A Link to the Past better.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Lttp certainly is better in my eyes, but is almost say OOT = lttp

I have skyward sword and heard it was really good, just havent gotten around to playing it