The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So far my impressions on Zelda after 3-4 hours in.

I just left the tutorial area a bit ago. Found another tower and a few more shrines. Durability of weapons doesn't bother me. I find myself using the environment and bombs to take enemies out. The physics engine is amazing, especially when combined with stasis ability to freeze time impart kinetic energy into items and send things flying into enemies.

The controls do take a bit getting used to with all the different things you can do. However for me the game looks beautiful. And I might be missing them but I haven't had any huge game drops on the switch docked.

The ability to go anywhere and do anything is pretty awesome. Deaths happen quite a bit for me (usually environmentally caused, falling, etc) but enemies are a bit more challenging in this game as well if you just plan on leroying into huge groups.

I'll give more updates as I get further. Also the gear with different stats, etc. The cooking and creating system is pretty fun too. I keep trying all sorts of combines you definitely need to collect everything you can.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure I've got friends that'll dump their WiiU's on me for cheap, so that'll for sure be the away I get to play the game. Can't wait, though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
No physical copies for Wii U in the UK apparently, lots of Switch copies though. I wonder why! Downloading...

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Playing this on my Wii U now and other than the lack of AA this version looks/feels fine imo. Frame drops aren't as bad as I was expecting(in the first area at least). It's there but nothing that's impacted me too much.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Playing this on my Wii U now and other than the lack of AA this version looks/feels fine imo. Frame drops aren't as bad as I was expecting(in the first area at least). It's there but nothing that's impacted me too much.
Agreed. It runs well enough. The lack of AA is pretty obvious, but I'm also playing Skyward Sword on the VC, so BotW looks beautiful compared to that.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I only notice the lack of AA in portable mode. On the TV it seems to have some form of AA. Wonder if that's what causes the performance difference?

Anyway, can someone tell me where the old man's house is again? I found it once but I've not been able to find it again. :(

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Sorry, I meant the Wii U version, which has no AA.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Found a trial called smash the heavens that I can't figure out. Can you upgrade bomb damage or stasis length? I think that's what I'm missing.

Just got the central tower near castle... Get good at shield parries before you fight guardians. If not, you can shoot them in the eye to interrupt. You can also break their legs to stagger and hit a weak point underneath.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
So uhh anyone cooked that dish the old man wants for the tunic? I cooked the raw meat from a boar and the spicy pepper on his table but I can't figure out how to actually give it to him heh. i have other food in my inventory, not sure if that matters or not.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think he's looking for a seafood dish. I just cooked peppers which gives you enough time to get to the shrine.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Not particularly a fan, but Lirik just started playing this so I figured I would give it a look. Dude literally just asked if he could get more hearts... fucking millenials, has he seriously never played a zelda game?? And he is a video game streamer, for shame.

Triggering aside, game does look fun as fuck. Wish I kept my wii u now, might have to try and grab another one.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i've been watching a few streamers play, my first impressions aren't great but I'll give another looksy tomorrow and next day when people actually get good items / skills / hearts - might get a lot better.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Haven't noticed any frame drops while playing docked to be honest, outside of the heavily forested area in the first area when rotating the camera.

I've downloaded both patches before I started to play mind you so they could have fixed it some.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Haven't noticed any frame drops while playing docked to be honest, outside of the heavily forested area in the first area when rotating the camera.

I've downloaded both patches before I started to play mind you so they could have fixed it some.
Have you been to any villages?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I've been to Kakariko Village, but it was raining so heavily it was hard to tell. The few times I've noticed it, it's just not hurting my enjoyment of the game.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Well that was a fast 4 hours lol. Game is good, Wii U version seems ok still.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Del

Vyemm Raider
Yeah lol. Where did the last 7 hours go? Time flies when I'm playing this game. It's friggin fun.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing all day and i've only uncovered about 5% of the map, and I passed by so many things I want to go check out still but am trying to push the main quest along a bit.