The Lord of the Rings

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show could have been pretty amazing, the source material they had to work with could easily be adapted, buuuuut of course they have to inject their own personalities / beliefs. I think all the First Age scenes will have to be flashbacks / memories of Galadriel, since she will be the only main character to have been around at the time of the Two Trees (I think Gil-Galad was born outside of Valinor).
Based on the teasers, we see Ar Pharazon, Tar Miriel, and Elendil. At this point Sauron is already at Numenor or about to brought to Numenor after being defeated by Ar Pharazon. So the Rings would have already been made, and a war between Elves and Sauron already taken place (with Sauron getting smashed by Numenor coming to save the Elves. So they only major events to take place are the destruction of Numenor, and a bit later the Last Alliance where Elves / Men defeat Sauron at Barad-Dur.

None of this involves Hobbits or Dwarves. All the Dwarf stuff would be flashbacks/filler, and all the Hobbit shit would be filler. Galadriel, at this point should be chilling in Lothlorien and would take no part in anything until the Last Alliance, yet she is shown off as a MC in these teasers. Odd.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Was that the Hobbiton before it became Hobbiton at the end? Cool!
Yeah seems like one of the main factions in play, probably the viewers eye view, will be the Harfoots, which are one of the kind of pre-hobbit races. They are the darkest skinned ones in canon so this seems to be sticking to that. There's three "races" that all factor into the hobbits eventually. The shorties we see in this trailer are all Harfoots.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm scared to even watch. BTW the shire wasn't settled until well into the third age. Most of northern eriador was filled with humans. The shire itself was farmland of arnor (later arthedain).

Wars between arthedain / cardolan / rhudaur / angmar + a plague or two wiped out most and led to some areas being abandoned. That's when the hobbit folk moved in.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm scared to even watch. BTW the shire wasn't settled until well into the third age. Most of northern eriador was filled with humans. The shire itself was farmland of arnor (later arthedain).

Wars between arthedain / cardolan / rhudaur / angmar + a plague or two wiped out most and led to some areas being abandoned. That's when the hobbit folk moved in.
it will ruin the LOTR trilogy.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Are these Hobbits in this show, the Missing Link Hobbits? Why do they look so retarded? Look like gypsies or something.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of the city shots look great but many of the character shots feel awfully sterile, it's just so obvious it's people in a studio with a cgi backdrop. It's not bad-bad, just lacks that authenticity to everything that made the Jackson LOTR trilogy so amazing. For the amount spent they could have done much better although probably it'd all have taken way more time.

1657872218810.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of the city shots look great but many of the character shots feel awfully sterile, it's just so obvious it's people in a studio with a cgi backdrop. It's not bad-bad, just lacks that authenticity to everything that made the Jackson LOTR trilogy so amazing. For the amount spent they could have done much better although probably it'd all have taken way more time.

View attachment 422164

Never quite understand why they think Elves would use greatswords.

• 1Like

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
They don't... they don't understand, and they don't even think about it either. It's all woke fan fiction that shits all over original Tolkien.
Most people know very little about Tolkien other than what they remember from the LotR and Hobbit movies, and will consume any shit they label as "Tolkien".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Never quite understand why they think Elves would use greatswords.
Cause they are great!
claymores/zweihander actually might make sense for Elves, more then most others. (depending on specific type of Elf)
dnd elves are short. no go. LotR elves are tall. yes. greatswords. Superhuman grace and strength of Tolkien elves would actually favor oversized blades, more then most others.

Dwarves are basically completely backwards. short, stocky? Bow is ideal. not axes, which also are short, and require size and leverage to wield. A dwarf with an axe would have HORRIBLE range of attack. Dwarf + spear/shield would also be king. Shield covering their entire body.

Superhuman strength=bows. we COULD make 300+lb draw strength bows. no one could pull it back though. Literally Ballista. You could size up a bow till its a ballista.

so, a dwarf with human str in dwarf size. bow is most effective, as any melee weapon would be less effective then a similar str human. while the bow would be equal. anything bigger/stronger then a human(giant/goliath, etc) bow is inherently better then any melee weapon. ability to pierce plate would depend on bolt/arrow size and bow/xbow draw strength.

those swords in the pic are ridiculous. the Hilts are way to large. 4 hand swords?

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
This show could have been pretty amazing, the source material they had to work with could easily be adapted, buuuuut of course they have to inject their own personalities / beliefs. I think all the First Age scenes will have to be flashbacks / memories of Galadriel, since she will be the only main character to have been around at the time of the Two Trees (I think Gil-Galad was born outside of Valinor).

They said in some interview a few months ago that the show will be covering the last couple of centuries of the Second Age or something like that, but instead condensing it into a much smaller time span so as to allow for not having to constantly chop and change actors.

• 1Like

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
I believe the type of licensing agreement they were able to get from Christopher Tolkien's estate was one where they could not change or augment anything that's "canon" but they are permitted to "create" story via areas of the lore where something isn't explained in detail. For example, the origins of the Hobbits. They basically were just "discovered" and by that time they had already been around for generations. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Saw the trailer for this last night on prime. Honestly from the trailer it didnt look raceswapped at all. Maybe 1 or 2 black characters but not so many it was jarring.

I am still fully expecting a WOT-style wokefest, just saying the trailer itself doesnt make that clear

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
The new teaser looks much more promising than the first one. If it had just fallen out of the sky out of nowhere, I'd be pretty hyped. Hopefully, the prior marketing was simply front-loaded so they can say they gathered up whatever diversity points they think are required. I don't give a flying fuck about a black elf or dorf popping up here and there provided they don't completely rewrite the lore with it. There are several lines of elves and dwarves mentioned in The Silmarillion and ancillary writings, and not all of them are given detailed descriptions. There's plenty of room for interpretation in certain places, so whatever.

Still maintaining cautiously low expectations.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You guys understand that they cut out most of the woke shit from the trailer, right? If you watch it, prepare to have your expectations subverted.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
What expectations? It'll probably be hot garbage but there's enough that looks "right" that they clearly didn't squeeze every drop of potential from it. Until there's something to go on that wasn't shat out exclusively by the marketing department, it's still all a big shrug from me.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cause they are great!
claymores/zweihander actually might make sense for Elves, more then most others. (depending on specific type of Elf)
dnd elves are short. no go. LotR elves are tall. yes. greatswords. Superhuman grace and strength of Tolkien elves would actually favor oversized blades, more then most others.

Dwarves are basically completely backwards. short, stocky? Bow is ideal. not axes, which also are short, and require size and leverage to wield. A dwarf with an axe would have HORRIBLE range of attack. Dwarf + spear/shield would also be king. Shield covering their entire body.

Superhuman strength=bows. we COULD make 300+lb draw strength bows. no one could pull it back though. Literally Ballista. You could size up a bow till its a ballista.

so, a dwarf with human str in dwarf size. bow is most effective, as any melee weapon would be less effective then a similar str human. while the bow would be equal. anything bigger/stronger then a human(giant/goliath, etc) bow is inherently better then any melee weapon. ability to pierce plate would depend on bolt/arrow size and bow/xbow draw strength.

those swords in the pic are ridiculous. the Hilts are way to large. 4 hand swords?
I liked how Peter Jackson went with Halberds for the elves at Helm's Deep.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I liked how Peter Jackson went with Halberds for the elves at Helm's Deep.
for the money they spent, they could have had actual Peter Jackson running this thing instead of two guys they found off the street with no past credits of any kind. i guess if they had hired Jackson, he would have required crazy shit, like keeping to what Tolkien would have intended instead of this retardation. and people saying the second trailer was better. they just chumped everyone by taking out the parts they know you wouldnt like in hopes to fool you into watching it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users