The Man in the High Castle

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know where I can watch this, since it's not available in Canada.

Not really familiar with a good place to get tv shows since I never have to do it.

First time a tv show I want to watch is actually unavailable here.
Stream for free shows.

Caution there's a lot of external links on that site, sometimes a "mal" link will show up, just click on the episode link and then the watch video link of whichever domain, streamin.to vidto.me bestreams.net are usually fine and fast.

Project Free TV - The Man in the High Castle

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Can someone explain the ending to me? Jesus. I was almost pissed off.

From what I can gather, some guy can just jump between two alternate timelines whenever they want? And my guess the Japanese guy is the one bringing the films back through to the other timeline where the Nazi's and Japs are in control of the world, but why, no one knows. My wife and I watched the entire season, and liked it, right up until that point where we were both looking at each other saying, "Really?" About the only way I see them taking this is you have a couple people with special abilities to hop between alternate timelines and they are each trying to win a timeline war, in season 2-whatever..

Cybsled

Not quite

If you look at the guy's expression, it is pretty clear he is surprised by what he sees. But some of the films in circulation clearly show our version of history, so logically he isn't the person providing the films into the show's main timeline.

That being said, obviously whoever is providing the films does have access to multiple timelines

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't remember the book having that sort of twist in it.

What I remember is that it was one of the most mystical and least sciency PKD works. The Japanese minister does have a vision of some alternate universe in which the axis lost, and everyone in the book feels somehow out of place. But it's not any human agent doing anything with heisenberg magic, it's the I-Ching (a book of prophecy) which wrote the novel. There's even a little bit of fourth-wall breaking in that in the final pages, everyone realizes that they're in a book being written BY a book and that there is nothing real about reality. This is all just a horrible dream. A horrible dream that they have to live in anyway.

Which sounds a little bit like jibberish to us, and a cop out. But if you consider when the book was written and the tone of the time it isn't at all. It's basically perfect.

That's why I said last time that I'm not sure how you can possibly do an adaptation of Man in the High Castle without the I-Ching. That book is essential to everything, it pins the entire story. It is the entire story. The story has nothing to do with Hitler, it's got nothing to do with the Jap, it's got nothing to do with the Resistance. The story is about the underpinnings of reality itself -- and fascist america is nothing but a device. That question has been answered -- you replace the I-Ching with trans-dimensional agents.

I guess that works and is a fair, if fairly unimaginative, contemporary adaptation of the idea.

The problem is that it allows for escape. There is no escape from the High Castle. That is both significantly depressing and (since it's only a book about what never happened) ultimately uplifting. More uplifting than rescuing a few resistance fighters can ever be. PKD was going for the big game.

Caliane

What I remember is that it was one of the most mystical and least sciency PKD works. The Japanese minister does have a vision of some alternate universe in which the axis lost, and everyone in the book feels somehow out of place. But it's not any human agent doing anything with heisenberg magic, it's the I-Ching (a book of prophecy) which wrote the novel. There's even a little bit of fourth-wall breaking in that in the final pages, everyone realizes that they're in a book being written BY a book and that there is nothing real about reality. This is all just a horrible dream. A horrible dream that they have to live in anyway.

Which sounds a little bit like jibberish to us, and a cop out. But if you consider when the book was written and the tone of the time it isn't at all. It's basically perfect.

That's why I said last time that I'm not sure how you can possibly do an adaptation of Man in the High Castle without the I-Ching. That book is essential to everything, it pins the entire story. It is the entire story. The story has nothing to do with Hitler, it's got nothing to do with the Jap, it's got nothing to do with the Resistance. The story is about the underpinnings of reality itself -- and fascist america is nothing but a device. That question has been answered -- you replace the I-Ching with trans-dimensional agents.

I guess that works and is a fair, if fairly unimaginative, contemporary adaptation of the idea.

The problem is that it allows for escape. There is no escape from the High Castle. That is both significantly depressing and (since it's only a book about what never happened) ultimately uplifting. More uplifting than rescuing a few resistance fighters can ever be. PKD was going for the big game.
Meta-Messages - Grant Morrison Meets Animal Man - Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book ResourcesComics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Just finished, I enjoyed the series overall, but two things tripped me out:

1 - Joe says that he watched the first film, the one they took into the neutral zone, and that when he watched it he saw something different to what Julianna saw when she watched it. She saw Nazi Germany being torn down, but he said he saw something about Stalin still being alive in the 50's iirc. So they watched the same reel of film but saw two separate things on it?

2 - What the fuck was with Tagomi randomly hopping from one universe to the next at the end? There was no leadup to it, no mechanism behind it, just he sits down and bam, it happens.

On a story level, this kind of bugged me, since I assumed both he and the inspector were going to die, or at least meet a bad end of some sort (when the inspector met him and spoke about "having to meet their responsibilities" or somesuch). Instead the inspector is saved from killing himself at literally the last moment, and Tagomi sits down and randomly pops into another universe.

Tbh I agree that the whole "resistance" storyline was the weakest part of the show. None of the characters involved were especially interesting, or even sympathetic, the only thing that carried it along was the mystery of the film reels, and we never get a satisfactory answer to where they come from, what they are and how they work (although having the resistance work for Hitler as the literal "man in the high castle" was a nice touch). The whole trip to the neutral zone and all the stuff that happened there was boring as hell. The political stuff between Japan and the Nazi's, and the internal drama in the two factions, was so much more interesting, but it only really reached it's potential in the latter third of the series.

IMO a series with the same alt-historical premise, but without the sci-fi/mystery element, and focused on the political stuff via characters like Tagomi and Smith (I was bummed out that we never saw the subplot with his son play out, that would have been really interesting), would have been infinitely better.

As for the technology given to the Japanese, I figured it was obviously the h-bomb, given that it triggered a search for uranium and the discussion Tagomi had where he was pointing out that having it would equalize the factions, and that using it would kill millions.

Cybsled

1) Joe and Julianna both had film reels. Joe mentioned his was Soviet Propaganda films from the 50s.

2) That is the mystery for next season!

Azrayne

Oh yeah, I forgot about #1 - thought it was the same reel for some reason.

I suspect s2 is going to venture into batshit crazy territory, sadly. I'd prefer more Japanese Empire v. Nazi Reich shenanigans.

Just a side note, but I loved the character of the antique salesman, especially the dinner scene and the way he rages out and fucks over the lawyer afterwards.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Really? He was such an awkward try hard. They were clearly reaching out for him as expert on American culture and wanting someone to help them be a little 'bad.' But he was terrible at reading the room and their insinuations. I'll put half the blame on them for thinking he'd be in too that, but the dude was just weird and then lashed out at them b/c he felt he was being made fun of.

Azrayne

Ok let me rephrase that - I found watching his storyline very interesting. The guy himself was a loser, sure, but I think that subplot and all the interactions it contained said a lot about the way different cultures react, especially in a colonial/imperial setting. The way the people in the conquered culture imitates the conquerors, assuming them to be superior, and the way people in the conquering culture fetishize and commodify the culture they conquer (look at the way the British treated their colonies). I thought it was a really nice touch from a worldbuilding perspective.

They were clearly reaching out for him as expert on American culture and wanting someone to help them be a little 'bad.'
I guess I saw it slightly differently. They were definitely trying to be a little rebellious (the "negro music" and whatnot) and he wasn't willing to play along because as a white guy he couldn't afford to be seen indulging in anything "degenerate," (although he did give her the flapper shoes to suck up to them) or perhaps was trying to maintain a cultured image, but I got the impression the whole point of the exercise was just an opportunity for them to examine him up close and grill him about American culture. He completely missed the point and thought they'd invited him as a social equal, because he was desperate for Japanese approval and missed all the social cues and hints (like them inviting him and nobody else, and having the dinner so early). This all went over his head until they refused to make a followup dinner and hustled him to the door (and more or less outright stated that they just wanted to examine him and quiz him), at which point he finally realized they were treating him exactly like the artifacts they collect - as something interesting and exotic to examine, but not a social equal, or really any kind of equal. I don't think they were trying to mock him as such - you don't mock an animal in a zoo. I think that's closest to how they saw him (and probably reflected how most Japanese saw the Americans - like with the Prince at his speech "or as you say in America, "howdy!"") A pet American - able to let them indulge in their fetish but inherently not on the same level as the Japanese. He, on the other hand, took the Japanese custom he received as a sign of their acceptance, and tried to enforce that impression by adopting their behavior.

So yeah it was awkward and cringe-worthy, but I think it made a lot of really interesting points. It was more interesting than any of the resistance crap anyway.

That's the other thing I found weird. The Nazi's got really shitty at Joe for helping a member of the West Coast resistance, but she was a white woman in a resistance group fighting to free primarily white people from the rule of the Asian Japanese. I get that they had a tentative truce with Japan and had granted them "honorary aryan" status, but it seems like they would be siding more with the whites on the West Coast and less with their non-white frenemies. I guess the whole film mystery complicates it a bit, but when it comes to the resistance they talk like those fighting against the Nazis and those fighting against the Japanese are equally bad, when I would have thought the Nazis would be all for weakening the Japanese

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I can agree with all that. Makes sense now
smile.png

Caliane

More on this a bit. Really totally changes the way I view it. And makes the novel vs film element a much larger distinction. Like, watching the show, never having read the book, I took this much more literally. Fringe, Sliders, Bioshock infinate, etc. Fringe especially, with Walter viewing the other world. This kindof goes back to my first post, where I was questioning the film vs book aspect. FILMS can't be faked, really. A film of an alternate world would require an obscene amount of resources to create, (particularly in that time period). so seeing these films would be fully transformative, not just subversive and inspirational. A novel would just be subversive and inspirational. The likes of which existed always. Mickey mouse fighting hitler, Superman fighting hitler. So unless the books got super personal, like the Never ending Story, you right now Bastion reading this book are part of the Never ending story, a book would be prophetic possibly, but just imagination still. Not something for a resistance to really make such a big deal over, or anything. Of course for the show, the resistance is of course seemingly incompetent... dying left and right. not DOING anything, but picking up and transferring films to themselves..

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just started watching this show. 3 episodes in and damn, this is really well done.

So far there has been a ton of great acting, great dialogue and a really compelling story.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This will probably be on my "to watch" after the new season of Orange is the new Black. Khane can you update your opinion after you get through the show? Reviews seem mixed on it.

Khane

Will do. But the second episode of this show is one of the most harrowing episodes of TV I've ever watched.

There are plenty of shows that kind of fuck with your head and most of them do it with absolute shock about how fucked up they want to make the characters seem. That episode of this show left me feeling that way but not because of how shocking or crazy it was but more because they made me feel like that's exactly how people who are put in that kind of situation react every single day. Things we never really see. The last 5 minutes were seriously fucked up.

Khane

Just finished this.

Not sure what to make of how it ended. Is there a second season of this in the works?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe there is and most people said it felt like S1 was just a build up to S2

Khane

It would have to be I'm assuming.

It was definitely good but there was a lot of build and you're left hanging after episode 10.