The Mandalorian

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I would love for Ashoka to meet Luke, I can just imagine her telling him that she knew her mom and dad and telling him a few stories. Then have Luke tell her that Anakin redeemed himself in the end by killing the Emperor to save him. I bet Ashoka would tear up hearing that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, that picture comparison is pretty incredible.

Enjoyed this episode. The final fight was a little too long. Yes the Magistrate was wonderfully trained with the spear. Ahsoka came down to her level. Maybe out of a sense of honor.

The fight should have gone something like,

Ahsoka walks within force range of the Magistrate and rips the spear out of her hand. If the Magistrate held on, then she slams her into the ground with the spear. Rinse...repeat.

As far as not training Grogu, there are multiple reasons behind that.

1. What she sensed with fear and anger was similar to Anikan. She does not want a repeat.

2. She is actually not a Jedi. She was a Padawan to Anikan but never knighted.

3. While she is not a Jedi officially, she still respects the order and probably feels it better left to a person who went through the entire process and perhaps has a stronger inner control of emotion and wisdom that often accompanies the training.

Best episode of the season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn this episode was good! I never watched the animated shows but I thoroughly enjoyed everything here. This season has been top notch so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
This last episode was all Filoni. Wrote and directed.

You can tell Filoni 'gets' star wars. The gun slinger poses, and western "man with no name' shots in the mist were spot fucking on the kind of imagery we should be seeing in Star Wars (When Mando was walking out into the forest, Ashoka was waiting on the street as the magistrate came out and then when Mando was facing down the other dude in a gunfight). He also smoothly transitioned in a very Samurai-esque scene with the Magistrate vs Ashoka.

The guy really understands the nature of the universe and what people actually enjoy about it. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't need to make one character incompetent to make another look strong (Mando and Ashoka's little clash was a great way to both establish Ashoka's strength with new viewers while not making Mando take a Worf and look incompetent).

Its all good. Best episode of the series for me, by a long shot.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ahsoka "won't" train Grogu because she felt his fear and his attachment to Mando. Probably reminds her of Anakin

Yeah, that was a surprising line because...

Filioni has spoken on how he believes the point of the prequels was to show the Jedi's Buddhist detachment ended up becoming toxic. Rather than showing the Jedi how to deal with attachment in a healthy way by letting go, they became intolerant to any achment and fearful of it--which of course resulted in them missing a lot. I wonder if he's going to be working that view into the lore where if there is a new Jedi order they temper their views on attachment so as to instill the idea that all attachments are temporary but they are okay or even encouraged once more.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
no, i understand that. but she's clearly more fit for the job than ezra. saying that she won't train grogu because he could turn into another anakin, but then letting someone less experienced than her train grogu seems silly.
Experienced? Yes. Remember that Ahsoka never even reached Jedi Knight status. She was still a Padawan when she left the Order.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You can tell Filoni 'gets' star wars. The gun slinger poses, and western "man with no name' shots in the mist were spot fucking on the kind of imagery we should be seeing in Star Wars (When Mando was walking out into the forest, Ashoka was waiting on the street as the magistrate came out and then when Mando was facing down the other dude in a gunfight). He also smoothly transitioned in a very Samurai-esque scene with the Governor vs Ashoka.

The guy really understands the nature of the universe and what people actually enjoy about it. Combine that with the fact that he doesn't need to make one character incompetent to make another look strong (Mando and Ashoka's little clash was a great way to both establish Ashoka's strength with new viewers while not making Mando take a Worf and look incompetent).

Its all good. Best episode of the series for me, by a long shot.
Ahsoka should have crushed him just through experience. Mainly cuz she's fought against and with Mandos so she would know their tricks. Where as Mando doesn't know jack shit about them. I did like that he used the rope trick in the same way that Boba Fett lassos Luke at the Sarlaac Pit.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
That was a dope ass episode. The samarai western filming vibe was off the charts

• 2Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember also that Ashoka is Filoni's personal Mary Sue creation, arguably the one flaw in his story telling. I mean, she was interesting by the end of Clone Wars and decently used in Rebels, but he way overused her in general and she is always magically good enough at everything to win. Vader and Papa Palpatine snuff out all other Jedi below Yoda level and somehow this spider monkey chick who never made knight magically survives Order 66? And she is able to duel peak Vader toe to toe? She is a flat ass and smuggly short of basically being Rei from the newer trilogy, just Filoni is a much better story teller than the Kennedy bunch.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Salty

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Remember also that Ashoka is Filoni's personal Mary Sue creation, arguably the one flaw in his story telling. I mean, she was interesting by the end of Clone Wars and decently used in Rebels, but he way overused her in general and she is always magically good enough at everything to win. Vader and Papa Palpatine snuff out all other Jedi below Yoda level and somehow this spider monkey chick who never made knight magically survives Order 66? And she is able to duel peak Vader toe to toe? She is a flat ass and smuggly short of basically being Rei from the newer trilogy, just Filoni is a much better story teller than the Kennedy bunch.
You mean she's a main character in a story and has plot armor? Although she stood up to Vader for a bit she was losing. She had to be saved by a time traveling Ezra and then she dissappears for all of the O.T.

Also, I have to go back and watch the episode but did anyone see the owl that has followed Ahoska?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
good lord rosario looked great. ahsoka had those huge lips as she got older that look great in animation but look goofy in real life. except rosario's lips were perfect.

also, tython... i don't remember them mentioning tython in any of the shows? but that's the jedi home world in SWTOR.

also also...
"there aren't many jedi left..." IS MACE WINDU GONNA SHOW UP?! sam jackson was talking a while ago about how he fully believes mace windu is still alive. jedi fall from great heights all the time without a scratch...

realistically it's probably not mace... but who else is even still alive at this point that would train baby yoda (grogu is a stupid name)? i mean we have a smattering of people here and there like ezra, but if ahsoka can't train him, why would ezra be able to? it's not like they're gonna bring luke into this...
dont be so sure, before this season started there were rumors that very thing is going to happen. Luke could be in this. there were also rumors that the entire Disney sequels will be retconned.

this episode was indeed awesome. the live action Ahsoka looks much better than that CG stuff. i like Rosario, been a fan of hers since Sin City.
i just realized that Baby Yoda is part of the show, not just the mcguffin. even if Luke or Mace does come to train Baby Yoda, he will either have his own PoV scenes with the trainer or Mace/Luke will be coming along. the story expanded immensely this week. its no longer just about a simple bounty hunter.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
i just realized that Baby Yoda is part of the show, not just the mcguffin. even if Luke or Mace does come to train Baby Yoda, he will either have his own PoV scenes with the trainer or Mace/Luke will be coming along. the story expanded immensely this week. its no longer just about a simple bounty hunter.
The 2 main characters are Din Djarin and Grogu. I don't expect Grogu to ever "leave" the show to go train as a Jedi. They are forever connected. Ahsoka even mentioning how Grogu sees Mando as his father pretty much seals that.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Luke got what, a week of training with Yoda? Ezra and Kanan had more combat experience than him and Ahsoka had years of wartime experience beyond them. If they tried having her do a Vader hallway down the street that would be plot armor, instead they went with a reasonable samurai/ninja scene which is totally practical. Straight out of a video game.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Clone Wars basically became nothing but stories about her by the last couple seasons (though I admin the final season arc with Maul was well done) which is what made me dump the show in the first place. Then she overshadowed Kanan and Ezra for the better part of a season, even displacing the shows existing Mary Sue (Sabine) during that batch of episodes. Now she shows up and puts the hurt on this show's main protagonist right out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, it was a well done episode of Mando (arguably the best one) but Filoni over-uses her and she is always magically invincible and flawless. That has to change in this show, because one thing that makes this show great is that all of the characters have flaws of one sort or another (major ones in some cases) including Mando himself. Good at everything no personal flaws Ashoka is going to have to get some edge to not steamroll this show like she did Rebels.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ahsoka should have crushed him just through experience. Mainly cuz she's fought against and with Mandos so she would know their tricks. Where as Mando doesn't know jack shit about them. I did like that he used the rope trick in the same way that Boba Fett lassos Luke at the Sarlaac Pit.

Ashoka always had trouble with "named" Mandos. And she seemed to do reasonably well against his tricks, including grapling and flame thrower. The thing with him is he's clearly had 20+ years of combat experience, and he's been pushed to fight constantly--so even if not against a Jedi I can see him holding his own. I thought the fight would be about that even for a little while even if she had the edge. She still got the jump on him and was able to press him back.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Clone Wars basically became nothing but stories about her by the last couple seasons (though I admin the final season arc with Maul was well done) which is what made me dump the show in the first place. Then she overshadowed Kanan and Ezra for the better part of a season, even displacing the shows existing Mary Sue (Sabine) during that batch of episodes. Now she shows up and puts the hurt on this show's main protagonist right out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, it was a well done episode of Mando (arguably the best one) but Filoni over-uses her and she is always magically invincible and flawless. That has to change in this show, because one thing that makes this show great is that all of the characters have flaws of one sort or another (major ones in some cases) including Mando himself. Good at everything no personal flaws Ashoka is going to have to get some edge to not steamroll this show like she did Rebels.
I don't think we are even going to see Ahsoka again this season. This is more as a set up to her getting her own show.

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't think we are even going to see Ahsoka again this season. This is more as a set up to her getting her own show.
Until Filoni gets enough pressure to replace Cara Dune to appease the woke crowd.........

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Ashoka doesn't really fit a Mary Sue mold. Plenty of people thought she was a little shit and didn't like her (A huge sign of a Mary Sue is everyone adoring her). And imo, she did have flaws--she was impetuous and naive and those flaws did actually cost her at times, all the way up to forcing her to fail at succeeding in her main arc (To become a Jedi). Her entire leaving the order arc was essentially the Emperor exploiting her flaws.

Feloni is biased and she's got plot armor, sure. But I wouldn't say it rises to a Mary Sue status.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ashoka doesn't really fit a Mary Sue mold. Plenty of people thought she was a little shit and didn't like her, and she actually did have flaws--she was impetuous and naive and those flaws did actually cost her, all the way up to forcing her to fail at succeeding in her main arc (To become a Jedi). Her entire leaving the order arc was essentially the Emperor exploiting her flaws.

Feloni is biased and she's got plot armor, sure. But I wouldn't say it rises to a Mary Sue status.
She is nowhere near as bad as Rei, but a 14 year old girl as a general in the armies stretches credibility a bit. But she is basically good at just about everything in Star Wars and never experiences any major tragedies, at least not compared to the other main characters. I mean even Obi Wan had his slam piece executed in front of him by Maul. Ashoka not only manages to escape order 66, but miraculously saves Rex from the chip despite having no participation in the side arc involving it. He had similar problems with Sabine in Rebels too, they were just less egregious. Mando needs its characters to be flawed and a bit dark to keep its current feel. I think they can do this with Ashoka, but Filnoni is going to have to dirty up the character a bit if he intends to use her long term (and why would he not if they cast Dawson).