The Mandalorian

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was gonna wait and just watch it all later but failed. It was pretty clear to me that ep1 and ep2 at some point was a single episode. That kinda suggests they are low on content for a complete season to me.
i was thinking that too, first and second ep could be a one hour ep easily. its also why i think they released the two within a few days of each other. the rest will probably be 40ish minutes. is it too early to call it as Werner Herzog as the big bad of the season or is he likely to be a red herring?

oh and that screencap is in the mandolorian trailer.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm sorry but I cant let this go. You didn't like John Wayne films. What does that even mean? He has been in some of the best westerns ever made.
yes i know, i liked True Grit with Jeff Bridges, but i think i just have a problem with John Wayne. my dad loved him, he used to watch his movies, but i wasnt interested. i used to think that meant i hated westerns, but nope, i can watch just about everything else he isnt in.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
yes i know, i liked True Grit with Jeff Bridges, but i think i just have a problem with John Wayne. my dad loved him, he used to watch his movies, but i wasnt interested. i used to think that meant i hated westerns, but nope, i can watch just about everything else he isnt in.
I cannot disagree more strongly but fair enough. To each their own sir.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I cannot disagree more strongly but fair enough. To each their own sir.
local TV here used to play The Quiet Man every year on St Pat's day. supposed to be one of his best films ever, i really wanted to see it, but 5 minutes in i noped out. i dont undrstand it, i have no problem with the man John Wayne, he was a no bullshit kind of guy and was a tough motherfucker he beat cancer at a time when beating cancer was a damned miracle. i just cant watch him act.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i sort of get it, personally. like, john wayne as a human being is a walking, talking western movie. even when he's not in a western. that being said, i don't really like his movies, subjectively speaking. i can appreciate them as westerns but i can't really get in to them for whatever reason. i don't really have that problem with other westerns.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My personal favorite Wayne westerns are probably The Searchers (which I think is a masterpiece), True Grit, The Cowboys, The Shootist, and Rio Bravo.

• 1Solidarity

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure how I feel about this one just yet.

The visuals are great and production value is sky high. But 30 minute episodes combined with fairly stilted storytelling makes it hard to really get into.

• 1Like

j00t

i know right... like, i absolutely understand that movies like 310 to yuma are objectively much worse than john wayne westerns... there's just something more watchable about them to me

• 1Like

j00t

I'm not sure how I feel about this one just yet.

The visuals are great and production value is sky high. But 30 minute episodes combined with fairly stilted storytelling makes it hard to really get into.

i said it before, but i really appreciate the visual storytelling in this one. there's VERY little dialogue and like, zero exposition. people don't talk like they are trying to let the audience in on a big secret.

on a different note... jedi fallen order does the "character uses the force in front of another character and the second character is surprised" thing REALLY well. so much better than this. while i perfectly understand that almost no one is going to know what happened between luke and the emperor... it's almost inconceivable for people as a whole to have no idea what the force is. even luke growing up as a backwater farmer had heard of the jedi. there were a ton of bounty hunters that HUNTED jedi... so even if the mando hadn't had any 1st person knowledge of them, are you telling me he doesn't know the history of his own guild?

in fallen order, when your friend that you work with sees you use the force, his response is shock, but he starts babbling about the old jedi. everything he knows is EXTREMELY surface level, but he's heard of them before. if the government disowned all the navy seals and branded them as traitors and had them all executed... in 30 years don't you think people would still have rudimentary knowledge of them?

there really should have been a comment by the mando just saying something to himself like "it IS real..." or whatever. something that acknowledges that he's heard of it but like most other people (han in a new hope and the imperials that vader chokes out) think it's just some... well, hokey religion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
My personal favorite Wayne westerns are probably The Searchers (which I think is a masterpiece), True Grit, The Cowboys, The Shootist, and Rio Bravo.

It is sort of ironic how some of the best westerns are anti-westerns... "The Searchers" is a great example. As is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" and "Unforgiven." "Pale Rider," on the other hand, goes back to the original trope and, although I kinda like the movie, I kinda hate it too...

I would put "Firefly" in the western genre too-- it was way ahead of its time and it sucks that it was another Fox-assassination of a great show. I don't think "The Mandolarian" would exist if not for "Firefly."

I rewatched eps 1/2. I agree they were one episode cut in half with added padding of the ship repair montage, the egg-hunt, and the besker ride scene. After all, you can't traverse that terrain without one. Until, of course, Mando does.

Here's what I notice on the rewatch-- Mando is a total douche without morals. That's not a bad thing for a Western. I am just surprised that Disney is pumping this out. I was struck on how he needlessly cuts a fleeing man in half in episode one, kills an alien mommy protecting her egg in episode 2, and just kills the shit out of a ton of people (who may not have been bad guys at all). Were those dudes he and the droid slaughtered protecting baby Yoda? Now, don't get me wrong. I am absolutely cool with him being an anti-hero (or not even a hero at all, just the central character). But on the re-watch I got a tingling sensation down the back of my spine that they were going to soften him up. I sure as shit hope not. Let him be the bad-ass, post-traumatic, force of death he is. I will scream at the TV when or if he becomes a sweetheart softie. He needs to stay the man-without-a-name, heartless, loveless, soul-less, monster he is.

How exactly (I am not compaining) is this "Disney?" - Oh wait, I know, it's classic Disney that loved to torture orphans and kill mommies!!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It is sort of ironic how some of the best westerns are anti-westerns... "The Searchers" is a great example. As is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" and "Unforgiven." "Pale Rider," on the other hand, goes back to the original trope and, although I kinda like the movie, I kinda hate it too...

I would put "Firefly" in the western genre too-- it was way ahead of its time and it sucks that it was another Fox-assassination of a great show. I don't think "The Mandolarian" would exist if not for "Firefly."

I rewatched eps 1/2. I agree they were one episode cut in half with added padding of the ship repair montage, the egg-hunt, and the besker ride scene. After all, you can't traverse that terrain without one. Until, of course, Mando does.

Here's what I notice on the rewatch-- Mando is a total douche without morals. That's not a bad thing for a Western. I am just surprised that Disney is pumping this out. I was struck on how he needlessly cuts a fleeing man in half in episode one, kills an alien mommy protecting her egg in episode 2, and just kills the shit out of a ton of people (who may not have been bad guys at all). Were those dudes he and the droid slaughtered protecting baby Yoda? Now, don't get me wrong. I am absolutely cool with him being an anti-hero (or not even a hero at all, just the central character). But on the re-watch I got a tingling sensation down the back of my spine that they were going to soften him up. I sure as shit hope not. Let him be the bad-ass, post-traumatic, force of death he is. I will scream at the TV when or if he becomes a sweetheart softie. He needs to stay the man-without-a-name, heartless, loveless, soul-less, monster he is.

How exactly (I am not compaining) is this "Disney?" - Oh wait, I know, it's classic Disney that loved to torture orphans and kill mommies!!
thats why i asked if Werner Herzog is supposed to be the big bad. if he is the Big Bad or a regular bad guy, that means that Mando was attacking a fort full of people protecting the baby yoda from people like Herzog. it also suggests ugnot Nolte could be a bad guy too.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
He is sympathetic to the baby because the Mando was an orphan. He is probably going to attempt to turn the kid over then change his mind.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I was thinking this too. He is going to kill all those dudes and go on the run with the baby.

I mean there's scenes in the trailers of him fighting stormtroopers in a similar looking environment soooooo

edit: Went to check the trailer, it appears to be after he's acquired his full suit of armor so maybe that isn't til later in the series. Though that doesn't mean anything because the shot of him walking with the sunset backdrop in the trailer edits out the baby Yoda carrier so who knows.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I love how this show actually feels like the original trilogy. This is the most star warsy show/ film since RotJ.

Personal drama is what this IP was built on.

Its heavy OT, but some people don't want OT I guess.

Despite the thumbnail, this guy's critique isn't all that harsh. It's just what has already been said here, rephrased and a bit more accurate.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The last episode has been giving me the Lone Wolf and Cub vibe. Really digging it.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
This so far is the perfect Star Wars blend. They have the nitty gritty of the original, the weapons/machines focus everyone loved in Rogue One, but they've kept the mysticism of The Force. Whereas the new movies are just all Force focused and it's like they're diluting it and Rogue One had little to no focus on The Force which is cool, but I like the mystic part of the Star Wars saga more than just more scifi warfare.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1574029626904.jpg