The Mandalorian

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

joz123

Potato del Grande
This so far is the perfect Star Wars blend. They have the nitty gritty of the original, the weapons/machines focus everyone loved in Rogue One, but they've kept the mysticism of The Force. Whereas the new movies are just all Force focused and it's like they're diluting it and Rogue One had little to no focus on The Force which is cool, but I like the mystic part of the Star Wars saga more than just more scifi warfare.
Mando not recognizing mini-yoda using the force makes sense to me. He was an orphan and since there are barely any Jedi left he wouldn't really see it in action.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Luke didn't know who the Jedi were at all. And that was like 15 years BEFORE this? It's perfectly valid, in a huge fucking galaxy, that people don't have the omniscience of the SW universe that the viewer does. Pretty much every single person in the original trilogy was like "WTF MAGIC" any time the force was used. And this is AFTER that.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Luke didn't know who the Jedi were at all. And that was like 15 years BEFORE this? It's perfectly valid, in a huge fucking galaxy, that people don't have the omniscience of the SW universe that the viewer does. Pretty much every single person in the original trilogy was like "WTF MAGIC" any time the force was used. And this is AFTER that.
Pretty sure that Palp would have scrubbed the fuck out of anything Jedi after Order 66 as well. Pretty sure they also mentioned there were like only a 10000 Jedi during the clone wars. That's not a lot in an entire galaxy.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
if the government disowned all the navy seals and branded them as traitors and had them all executed... in 30 years don't you think people would still have rudimentary knowledge of them?
If you were like 10 when this happens, in a different country; in this case possibly a different planet or sector... Doesn't seem that far of a stretch to not know exactly what a navy seal is/was. We also have video games and movies, and I feel like the kids in Star Wars still play w/ sticks, dirt, and a droid. I don't think the empire ruled via language/education much rather just occupation and force. He could only be aware of light sabers = force too.

velk

Trakanon Raider
If they "softer side of Mando" it and have him take off his helmet for some touching heartfelt moment, especially for some romantic relationship, I'll be super pissed. Not as pissed as the incel, redpilling reddit fucks, but pretty upset. Sometimes the best characters are asexual murder machines with a code.

My vote is they have a full-on sex scene with him completely naked, except for his helmet. ;p

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Yes and every single thing they've done since the original trilogy has made the idea of people forgetting about the force/Jedi completely retarded. The Jedi were a galactic peacekeeping force for THOUSANDS of years before Order 66, and were involved in multiple large scale wars throughout their history. Even if many of those specific conflicts are no longer technically canon, they are still implicitly understood to have happened or else Darth Bane would never have had to resort to the rule of two. Even if that one imperial officer is mocking the force, he clearly knows what it is and the room isn't shocked that Vader can choke him out from 6 feet away. The crew of the Ghost/Phoenix Squadron were probably the most notorious component of the initial formation of the Rebellion and they had two Jedi openly using their sabers and force abilities right up until 2 BBY. Anakin's mother, some random slave on Tattooine, knows about the Jedi. Han's skepticism can be attributed to cynicism, not ignorance. Obviously the force wasn't enough to keep the Jedi alive but he isn't surprised to see a laser sword or blindfolded training drills. Luke was probably kept deliberately ignorant by his aunt and uncle.

As for Din Jarron's ignorance, maybe the Mandalorian diaspora has lost some of their culture. Seems like they sorta live in poverty and don't have real armor, so they rely on exaggerations of the Mandalorian reputation. Maybe none of that group have set foot on Mandalore for multiple generations and a lot of knowledge taken for granted on the homeworld wouldn't be considered necessary to survive.

Fadaar

That guy
This whole debate wouldn't be as much of an issue if there was more time between the prequels and OT. Per the timeline there's only 19 years between ROTS and ANH, and add another... 10ish? years for Mandalorian. So lets say 30 years between when the Jedi got wiped out and the setting for Mandalorian. Nowhere near enough time for the whole galaxy to turnover enough generations for all that first-hand knowledge to be lost.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yes and every single thing they've done since the original trilogy has made the idea of people forgetting about the force/Jedi completely retarded. The Jedi were a galactic peacekeeping force for THOUSANDS of years before Order 66, and were involved in multiple large scale wars throughout their history. Even if many of those specific conflicts are no longer technically canon, they are still implicitly understood to have happened or else Darth Bane would never have had to resort to the rule of two. Even if that one imperial officer is mocking the force, he clearly knows what it is and the room isn't shocked that Vader can choke him out from 6 feet away. The crew of the Ghost/Phoenix Squadron were probably the most notorious component of the initial formation of the Rebellion and they had two Jedi openly using their sabers and force abilities right up until 2 BBY. Anakin's mother, some random slave on Tattooine, knows about the Jedi. Han's skepticism can be attributed to cynicism, not ignorance. Obviously the force wasn't enough to keep the Jedi alive but he isn't surprised to see a laser sword or blindfolded training drills. Luke was probably kept deliberately ignorant by his aunt and uncle.

As for Din Jarron's ignorance, maybe the Mandalorian diaspora has lost some of their culture. Seems like they sorta live in poverty and don't have real armor, so they rely on exaggerations of the Mandalorian reputation. Maybe none of that group have set foot on Mandalore for multiple generations and a lot of knowledge taken for granted on the homeworld wouldn't be considered necessary to survive.

exactly. and DURING that thousands of years that jedi were keeping the peace, the knowledge of who jedi were and what they did was so pervasive that when a single jedi showed up, no one was confused. i'm sure there are stories here and there in the comics or old republic era where they'd show up to some incredibly primitive planet where people didn't recognize what a jedi is... but that kind of thing became exceedingly rare. like jadaar said, there's not NEARLY enough time for people to forget that. i've never seen a 60's hippie, but i'd absolutely know one if i saw them.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Valid, but.. A lot of this information seems to rely on legends or tales.. Which could have never been involved in a person's life given the populous scope. In the grand scheme, skepticism is fine and I'd imagine no one spoke against Vader because most were subservient to the empire. I wouldn't imagine someone could Google Jedi and know.. Much less want to even speak of it during empire rule.

We are also kinda assuming the education is pretty standard across the board while my assumption is the general population is pretty fucking dumb and experience driven, ie grandpa was a farmer, dad was a farmer, now I'm a farmer. Or much less care about anything other than the conditions in which they live. Even if the empire conquered through education, it wouldn't have been hard to wipe the floor of that thousand year and spin a narrative against jedis.

Drawing straws.. Oh well. It makes sense to me riding the back bone of OT.. Can't bother to try and draw straws on the meh trilogy.. I would have much rather had Skywalkers institution of gifted children the trilogy.

I'd prob be on your boat more, if baby Yoda whipped out a lightsabre and had no clue. Dialog wise, I think Din has no idea, and Nolte doesn't know because Din isn't really explaining anything.. So he's just agreeing to not knowing either. I'm sure we will get some exposure in explanation by someone inbetween.

Last edited:

j00t

If we're going based ONLY on the OT then yeah, everyone being dumbfounded by the force makes total sense. Even if the old republic was full of Jedi, that was thousands of years ago. Talking about Jedi in the old republic should be like talking about knights fighting dragons. That's what the prequel trilogy should have been about, the fall of the old republic thousands of years ago, then all of this would make sense

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
78035946_10156886484341279_4395615336276164608_o.jpg

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
exactly. and DURING that thousands of years that jedi were keeping the peace, the knowledge of who jedi were and what they did was so pervasive that when a single jedi showed up, no one was confused. i'm sure there are stories here and there in the comics or old republic era where they'd show up to some incredibly primitive planet where people didn't recognize what a jedi is... but that kind of thing became exceedingly rare. like jadaar said, there's not NEARLY enough time for people to forget that. i've never seen a 60's hippie, but i'd absolutely know one if i saw them.

As a counterpoint, very few people would disagree that shaolin monks exist in our world. There are plenty of stories about them having nonsensical abilities like being able to levitate.

This doesn't mean most people believe those stories, or would not be surprised if they found a floating baby.

Star Wars had an empire of tens of billions of people and what, 60 or so Jedi in total ? I could totally see most people thinking their supposed magic powers were bullshit. Even if they didn't, a baby clearly isn't a member of the Jedi order, even if said order still existed.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Star Wars had an empire of tens of billions of people and what, 60 or so Jedi in total ?

Tens of thousands, continuously operating as a paramilitary peacekeeping force or outright army for thousands of years.

j00t

As a counterpoint, very few people would disagree that shaolin monks exist in our world. There are plenty of stories about them having nonsensical abilities like being able to levitate.

This doesn't mean most people believe those stories, or would not be surprised if they found a floating baby.

Star Wars had an empire of tens of billions of people and what, 60 or so Jedi in total ? I could totally see most people thinking their supposed magic powers were bullshit. Even if they didn't, a baby clearly isn't a member of the Jedi order, even if said order still existed.
Yeah, I'd be absolutely fine with a similar reaction to han... Calling it a home religion and all that. He clearly KNEW about it, he just didn't believe. Mando on the other hand (and Rey and Finn and everyone in tfa) reacted like he's completely clueless on the force.

But maybe that was another reaction and he's just holding his cards close to his chest

velk

Trakanon Raider
Tens of thousands, continuously operating as a paramilitary peacekeeping force or outright army for thousands of years.

Hey, I have no star wars nerd cred, but if there tens of thousands of them, where were they in the movies ? Tens of thousands would also have meant thousands of kids in training surely ?