The Mandalorian

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gina Carano is built like a COG soldier from gears of war

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This episode wasn't as good as the others, but wasn't bad, either. They ironed out the practical issues of the "never" taking off the helm, even if it still doesn't necessarily jive with the cannon we see in the cartoons, but I guess this new stuff can be hand waved away as an extremest Mandalorian sect.

Sidekick woman is the size of a Bantha's ass and about as attractive.

I didn't think Gina did too bad, for someone that was trained as an MMA fighter, not an actor, and she is built as good as any, in terms of a female body type required to be in an elite military unit.

Training for fighting, and getting your face smashed in the ring are hard on the body, and it looks like it may be taking it's toll on Gina. It also looks like her face is more square than when she was younger, so she may have done cycles of HGH while training, in the past. Then again, I doubt she is in a heavy cut mode (to make weight), like we see in pictures from before her fights, so it might be her natural bulk.

Here she is in her prime:

3328442-2167939570-dfgdf.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

i don't think it's hgh or anything with her, it's just that she's clearly put on some weight. which is fine, she always struggled with cutting weight before a fight and she's said she's pretty much done with professional fighting. regardless i think she looks good. she's heavier but she still looks functional if that makes sense. like she doesn't look like she just sits on the couch with a pile of mashed potatoes.

• 1Like

j00t

i guess it sort of depends on the metrics you're using... it wasn't a BAD episode... i think the problem is that it's a cliche story that we've all seen a hundred times. i don't know if a longer episode would have helped as it would have given certain scenes more time to breath and could have added some extra things that would have made it stick out. or a shorter episode because, like i said, we've all seen this story a hundred times.

ultimately i think if you're going to do a seven samurai/magnificent seven type of story, you need to do something to it so it stands out. unfortunately this didn't really add anything. technically speaking it was a cohesive story and acted and edited well enough... the failing lies specifically in the story of the episode itself. it just wasn't anything special

Cybsled

Episode sucked. Yodakid is overplayed. Bryce only has a job because of her dad. Sidekick woman is the size of a Bantha's ass and about as attractive. Another episode of this shit, and they might as well rename the series Mandocuck: Space Jesus.

Gina would snap your neck like a twig lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
i guess it sort of depends on the metrics you're using... it wasn't a BAD episode... i think the problem is that it's a cliche story that we've all seen a hundred times. i don't know if a longer episode would have helped as it would have given certain scenes more time to breath and could have added some extra things that would have made it stick out. or a shorter episode because, like i said, we've all seen this story a hundred times.

ultimately i think if you're going to do a seven samurai/magnificent seven type of story, you need to do something to it so it stands out. unfortunately this didn't really add anything. technically speaking it was a cohesive story and acted and edited well enough... the failing lies specifically in the story of the episode itself. it just wasn't anything special
Classic stories are classic stories for a reason and I don't mind that if it's done well. The action sequences weren't well done at all and the dialogue was pretty bad even by star wars standards. Maybe not Anakin sand monologue bad, but still not remotely good.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking at the list of directors the next three episodes should be good. This must have been a favor or something, I hope

j00t

i agree for the most part, though i didn't think the dialogue was all that bad. i'm giving the action scenes sort of a pass because it's clear that the show isn't about the action scenes. i mean i'd love for the mando to be john wick in space (cowboy) but that's just not what the show is. i think the choreography between the mando/cara dune fight was pretty good, but that's mostly due to gina carano being a great fighter. but yeah, the ending "battle" was pretty meh. there wasn't really any tension because we don't really care about any of the people fighting. both sides were 1 dimensional and there to serve the plot. it's like i said earlier, in theory a longer episode could give time to flesh out the characters but i think things would get boring quickly since there wasn't anything new about the way the classic story was told.

i agree that a classic story is classic for a reason, but this feels like when a band remakes an old hit, but they don't change anything about it. sorta just feels like, hey, if i wanted to listen to that song i'd just... you know.. listen to that song.

j00t

Looking at the list of directors the next three episodes should be good. This must have been a favor or something, I hope

bryce dallas howard hasn't really directed much. a couple of shorts a few years ago, and some documentary about celebrity fathers this year. it does seem kind of odd to hand her an episode to direct, though maybe that was another of jon favreau's calls? he specifically wrote cara dune for gina carano and told her that he thought hollywood had treated her really poorly and wanted to fix that.

i don't know... honestly, i'm cool with different episodes having different directors as long as each director is given the freedom to shoot the episode their own way. the universe is big enough to be seen through different lenses. i mean i'm not talking about muh diversities, i'm talking about it being similar to the EU with different writers telling different stories. /shrug

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
eh it wasnt bad, brick shithouse chick was fine and actually looked like she could kick ass over some 90 pound midget girl in a spandex outfit. the noble savage locals were pretty formulaic and star trekky, but it still kept it moving and now we know that baby yoda and mando cant settle down in one place for too long.

• 2Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Shit episode involving training plucky villagers. Nail in coffin for this episode was the All Terrain Scout Transport being defeated by water

• 1Garbage

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
They should have made this a serial "bounty of the week" type of show with a Mandalorian mytharc running through the series like X-Files or Supernatural. Could have easily churned out 200+ one-hour long episodes of that shit in a SW universe instead of this piddly shit

Episode of the week shit died out 20 years ago

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Episode of the week shit died out 20 years ago

Oh it did?

Might want to let Supernatural know. They just wrapped their 15th season in prime time.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Oh it did?

Might want to let Supernatural know. They just wrapped their 15th season in prime time.

This post is the literal equivalent of:

"On average men are taller than woman"

"Oh they are? Might want to let my Aunt Joan know. She's 6ft 5"

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
This post is the literal equivalent of:

"On average men are taller than woman"

"Oh they are? Might want to let my Aunt Joan know. She's 6ft 5"

20 years ago, huh?

I didn't know that "episode of the week" shit died out literally at the peak of X-Files era.

So weird.

P s. "Died out" is an absolute statement, "on average" isn't.

If you want I can apply your Aunt Joan example to TV and you watch you flail around for a while

• 1Salty

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Serialized tv is only something that's been popular for the last 9 or ten years.

Wrong, 24 in 2000/01 started both the serialized drama and movie actors going into TV trends.

LOST was in 2005 and that really popularised the current model for serial drama whilst also doing other stuff like alternate reality games that contributed to the narrative beyond the actual episodes

Araysar Araysar X files ended in 2001, which is just as 24 was taking off.

If The Sopranos was made 3-4 years later it would have been less episodic

Caliane

Its been a transition. I don't think you can place a hard date.

A. There have been serials, and soap operas since the 70's.
B. Things like Firefly, Xfiles, etc, which do a bit of both.

its been popular forever. When serialization became dominant is harder to pinpoint.

edit:Lost was a good point. That might be about it.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
Wrong, 24 in 2000/01 started both the serialized drama and movie actors going into TV trends.

LOST was in 2005 and that really popularised the current model for serial drama whilst also doing other stuff like alternate reality games that contributed to the narrative beyond the actual episodes

Araysar Araysar X files ended in 2001, which is just as 24 was taking off.

If The Sopranos was made 3-4 years later it would have been less episodic

Episode of the week + mytharc model is alive to this day. The longest running drama in TV series is exactly that storytelling model and it started in 2004, supposedly during this wonderful birth of serialized TV.

That's just an undeniable fact. Saying that's it's dead is like saying
"All the women over the height of 5'6 are dead"
"Well, what about Aunt Joan? She's 6'5 and alive"
"A'ight lemme go change these goal posts"