The Mandalorian

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Felt like a forgettable away mission episode of Star Trek.

I liked Gina in this, as the bar was pretty low after Deadpool.

Also, 'we've made too much noise and have to move on' followed by 'leaving the kid here' seems like contradicting points.

Enjoying the series, this was easily the weakest episode.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Serialized tv is only something that's been popular for the last 9 or ten years.

I'd say 20 years. Ossoi is right in so far as when it began to be popular, serialized really began to take off with 24 and Sopranos (And to a lesser extent ER and Oz), those two shows radically changed Television though. And not even due to the shows, but due to on demand and the internet making it easier to catch missed episodes, so networks were able to really try serialized formats that were not mini-series (In America, since another reason for episodic is huge American season length, 24 episodes is ridiculous).

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Episode of the week + mytharc model is alive to this day. The longest running drama in TV series is exactly that storytelling model and it started in 2004, supposedly during this wonderful birth of serialized TV.

That's just an undeniable fact. Saying that's it's dead is like saying
"All the women over the height of 5'6 are dead"
"Well, what about Aunt Joan? She's 6'5 and alive"
"A'ight lemme go change these goal posts"

The exception to the rule does not disprove the rule.

If you haven't noticed that for the last 20 years all the best shows, with exception of Sopranos are serial dramas, then your opinion is worthless. The idea that a 15 series long episodic show is a valid exception is also laughable because no show can run for 15 series without a noticeable drop in quality.

We are in a golden age of TV, when people refer to this golden age it is serial dramas they are talking about.

And yes TomServo TomServo you could also include The Shield and shows like Battlestar Galactica

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit episode involving training plucky villagers. Nail in coffin for this episode was the All Terrain Scout Transport being defeated by water
It wasnt defeated by water, it was defeated by a large fucking trap pit they doug, plus a nade in the cockpit when it fell. Plus I know SW and all that, but the design of a 2 legged on stilts walker is fucking shit as an all terrain vehicle.

This is more reality...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

"X of the week" shows were always popular with networks because it allowed a new viewer to jump in and not feel 100% lost. More heavily serialized shows require that you understand everything that happened before to not be completely lost.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
The exception to the rule does not disprove the rule.

Uh, its not a rule. Its a single absolutist statement. And exceptions do in fact disprove singular absolutist statements.

If you haven't noticed that for the last 20 years all the best shows, with exception of Sopranos are serial dramas, then your opinion is worthless. The idea that a 15 series long episodic show is a valid exception is also laughable because no show can run for 15 series without a noticeable drop in quality.

We are in a golden age of TV, when people refer to this golden age it is serial dramas they are talking about.

And yes TomServo TomServo TomServo TomServo you could also include The Shield and shows like Battlestar Galactica

Its almost certain that the current "serialization" of the Mandalorian right now is a complete joke. Serialization alone doesnt make shows better. Also, I dont know what "15 series" means, did you mean 15 seasons? Then yes, a show running for 15 seasons is demonstrable proof that episode of the week storytelling model is perfectly valid even in 2019. Tons of other shows use that model as well, not everything is serialized.

A serialized version of The Mandalorian is by definition a show that really cant have him go on bounty hunting missions every week, which is the calling card of their entire character and lore. Its a complete misuse of what those characters are about.

Caliane

theres a wiki entry for what Ossai is talking about. it has a few more good points.

it doesnt specifically talk about serial versus episode of the week. But, its pretty clear, even when discussing the early entries, Buffy, Deep space nine, etc, there has been a trend towards more and more serial, and less episode of the week. And, of course Xfiles was a case study in that, as its last few seasons were entirely serial, while it started, episode of the week.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here she is in her prime:

3328442-2167939570-dfgdf.jpg

sorry to burst your bubble,

dat ass or reindeer Gina is not her

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Uh, its not a rule. Its a single absolutist statement. And exceptions do in fact disprove singular absolutist statements.

Serialization alone doesnt make shows better.

You really don't know anything about the subject and are so far out of your depth it's like you set foot in the shallow end of the swimming pool and capsized like that AT-ST, getting sunk not by plucky villagers but my superior knowledge.

The whole point of serial dramas is they allow story tellers to tell much more detailed stories, no longer constrained by 45minute episode lengths.

Care to list any more episodic structured series to back up your statement because so far you've got one show, one show vs all the serial dramas. I mean fuck, a good portion of why I've kept coming to this site over the years is to browse the TV forum and see what new shows are out in the US and not out in the UK, that's how I found the Game of Thrones pilot lol.

I literally used to stay up until 5am GMT just to grab new episodes of 24 as soon as they hit FTP servers and IRC.

I studied Film at University back in 2004 and when I chose to take "TV drama" as an option all my friends said "you're on a Film degree, why are you studying TV" because idiots TV is better than it's ever been and is the future. Ossoi. Right. Again.

I'll say it again, your argument holds as much weight as social justice warriors that say trans women are valid because some women don't have ovaries therefore trans women are women because they don't have ovaries. Sure, some women don't have ovaries but the overwhelming majority do.

Do episodic shows still exist? Yes

Does the number pale into insignificance next to the number of serial dramas? Yes

Does anyone give a fuck about episodic shows? No

What episodic shows are being discussed on pages 1-2 of this forum right now?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
There are a significant number of shows that are still * of the week that have been running for years...

Anyway, I am glad we got this "meets townsfolk with a nice lady that tempts them to settle down" episode out of the way. I also noticed that they went from calling the kid "It" to him/he. I figured they were gonna pull the ole "did you assume it's gender?" and make it female.

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
You really don't know anything about the subject and are so far out of your depth it's like you set foot in the shallow end of the swimming pool and capsized like that AT-ST, getting sunk not by plucky villagers but my superior knowledge.

The whole point of serial dramas is they allow story tellers to tell much more detailed stories, no longer constrained by 45minute episode lengths.

Care to list any more episodic structured series to back up your statement because so far you've got one show, one show vs all the serial dramas. I mean fuck, a good portion of why I've kept coming to this site over the years is to browse the TV forum and see what new shows are out in the US and not out in the UK, that's how I found the Game of Thrones pilot lol.

I literally used to stay up until 5am GMT just to grab new episodes of 24 as soon as they hit FTP servers and IRC.

I studied Film at University back in 2004 and when I chose to take "TV drama" as an option all my friends said "you're on a Film degree, why are you studying TV" because idiots TV is better than it's ever been and is the future. Ossoi. Right. Again.

I'll say it again, your argument holds as much weight as social justice warriors that say trans women are valid because some women don't have ovaries therefore trans women are women because they don't have ovaries. Sure, some women don't have ovaries but the overwhelming majority do.

Do episodic shows still exist? Yes

Does the number pale into insignificance next to the number of serial dramas? Yes

Does anyone give a fuck about episodic shows? No

What episodic shows are being discussed on pages 1-2 of this forum right now?

lmao, you dont even know the difference between "series" or "seasons" and your bullshit word salad wall-o-text gish gallop isnt gonna cover it up for you either. go sit the fuck down.

Go get your money back from that "British TV University" though, sounds like they just took your money and then laughed at you.

One show is all i needed. but if you need more go look at the entirety of WB lineup or basic cable like TNT, etc.

now piss off.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That Gina gif. Gina will always be welcomed for that alone.

Waiting to watch the episode later tonight - Sounds like a 7/10 episode when the rest have been 8/10's.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
lmao, you dont even know the difference between "series" or "seasons"

It's almost like actual English is different to your bastardised English. At least you didn't butcher the language as badly as you butchered The Office.

When people witness how badly you lost this argument:

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
It's almost like actual English is different to your bastardised English. At least you didn't butcher the language as badly as you butchered The Office.

When people witness how badly you lost this argument:

"my language is unique and different to cover up for things im completely clueless about"

wow.

would have been just easier to say 3 hours ago "yeah, i kinda overgeneralized".

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
"my language is unique and different to cover up for things im completely clueless about"

wow.

would have been just easier to say 3 hours ago "yeah, i kinda overgeneralized".

Shock, actual English and American English aren't identical. Series in the UK refers to both the individual show and specific seasons.

1575065461965.png

The below video is an example of a UK comedy using "series" as a synonym for "season". Note that the scene is set in the BBC HQ in the context of a fictionalTV presenter trying to get his TV series recommissioned. So someone writing for the BBC has written a scene set in the BBC, if season meant series then they'd have used season in the name of accuracy.

season.jpg

season2.jpg

Just admit you were wrong to say I don't know the difference between "season" and series" and we can stop the derail.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Gina Carano is naturally "thicc" I guess is the word nowadays. She's said that she had to work stupid hard to keep her weight down for MMA. I also don't think she's a horrible actress for someone that came out of MMA. Hell, she can at least act rings around Ronda Rousey. She has been poorly used which is what Favreau has stated and why he gave her the part in Mandalorian. I thought she did great for what she had to do here. I would also smash the hell out of her.

I liked the episode overall, it wasn't perfect and you can tell that Bryce has not done much action work. All the Baby Yoda stuff was great and I was surprised how much he was used on this one. I am amazed that with all those kids and stuff in this episode that Baby Yoda didn't leak before this aired.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users