The Matrix (1999)

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I think mine was Bram Stoker's Dracula? I think we manged to get in because it happened to be something we were reading in freshman English.

On VHS, no idea, although about the same time we managed to talk the local gas station into letting us rent Hellraiser 2 specifically because it said "unrated" instead of "R." Lolz

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
cuz she had those first few short breaths like she was being stabbed (which was really alien popping out), with all those crunching sounds, it was pretty good, lemme find

Yep that's it. Thanks Lanx.

There is something about that woman's entire situation that is so desperate and helpless that she actually begs someone to kill her. When you're a little kid, you haven't even yet imagined that such situations are possible. That it might be possible that to be shot in the head is better than not being shot in the head. It was probably the first time I had ever considered such a magnitude of desperation.

And then the medic marine woman completely panicking because she's thinking.... what the fuck am I looking at? "Convulsions!" is right.

Still one of the best movies ever made. In the same league as Tremors and There Will Be Blood.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Terminator 2. Not sure how old I was but the scene with the nuke going off fucked me up pretty good.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The first movie I saw that was rated R was Dressed to Kill. I was 7. My Mom and a couple other relatives went to the movies and took me. Apparently what they wanted to see was sold out and the only other thing that was at that time was Dressed to Kill. Lets just say I didn't see much of the movie lol. I just remember my mom covering my eyes like every 5 minutes and my relatives trying not to laugh. They did not know what the movie was about when they got the tickets.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think the first R movie I saw in theater was...Executive Decision? Not very exciting. Shit, only thing I remember about it is the poster and it had Kurt Russell.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
best part of ED was Stephen Segal.

Was always kind of surprised Big Hollywood was done with Seagal so fast.

He put out only 2 blockbusters right? When I say "he put out" I mean MAJOR studio picture distribution and budget. It was either 1 or 2, and the 3rd and 4th movies were more like Mini-Major. But some would say he only starred in 1 blockbuster, so it depends what your criteria is. So I'm saying 2 blockbusters.

They ditched him pretty fast and I always wondered what happened. I saw a blurb on it and I guess it had to do with a movie that bombed or just narrowly recouped and then casting agents/producers felt that his hairline + waistline were both gaining in the wrong directions.

But there's gotta be a few more specifics to it than that? I know you're also a fan so I didn't know if you have any movie related specifics related to that time, or whether it was just a matter of Seagal wasn't a ticket sell anymore.

I think we're both in agreement he fell off from AAA blockbuster movie star very quickly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was always kind of surprised Big Hollywood was done with Seagal so fast.

He put out only 2 blockbusters right? When I say "he put out" I mean MAJOR studio picture distribution and budget. It was either 1 or 2, and the 3rd and 4th movies were more like Mini-Major. But some would say he only starred in 1 blockbuster, so it depends what your criteria is. So I'm saying 2 blockbusters.

They ditched him pretty fast and I always wondered what happened. I saw a blurb on it and I guess it had to do with a movie that bombed or just narrowly recouped and then casting agents/producers felt that his hairline + waistline were both gaining in the wrong directions.

But there's gotta be a few more specifics to it than that? I know you're also a fan so I didn't know if you have any movie related specifics related to that time, or whether it was just a matter of Seagal wasn't a ticket sell anymore.

I think we're both in agreement he fell off from AAA blockbuster movie star very quickly.
i think it was several things. the action hero genre was petering out in favor of ensemble action movies. i think Under Siege 2 was disappointing in the box office. then he made a giant turkey eco movie called Fire Down Below. i think the biggest reason was he started getting fat. dude was packing on those pounds. catering service must be awesome on set. movie studios will forgive a lot of stuff, but getting too fat as an action hero is an unforgiveable. in the CM thread we talked about the rigorous training Jackman has to undergo to keep in shape for his X-men/Wolverine films. dude is pushing 50 and he has to keep as tight as he was when he was 29. Segal was like, fuck that shit, i want me some cheeseburgers. cant blame him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i think it was several things. the action hero genre was petering out in favor of ensemble action movies. i think Under Siege 2 was disappointing in the box office. then he made a giant turkey eco movie called Fire Down Below. i think the biggest reason was he started getting fat. dude was packing on those pounds. catering service must be awesome on set. movie studios will forgive a lot of stuff, but getting too fat as an action hero is an unforgiveable. in the CM thread we talked about the rigorous training Jackman has to undergo to keep in shape for his X-men/Wolverine films. dude is pushing 50 and he has to keep as tight as he was when he was 29. Segal was like, fuck that shit, i want me some cheeseburgers. cant blame him.

Ahh yes, this one was a memory jog. It all came rushing back.

I remember reading that Seagal INSISTED on the eco script and that it was basically "his movie", in the sense that it was something important to him. He was doing some virtue signalling green peace bullshit. I also remember reading that he was actively rejecting overly violent movies with no message in them. The eco stinker barely had any violence right? Or was grossly toned down I seem to remember that was something Seagal wanted as well, less emphasis on fucking people up for the sake of fucking them up.

That's great, but that wasn't the Seagal brand. I would guess his goal was to break out of a typecast.

He tried to appear too sophisticated too fast, and people stopped caring. A second chance, as you implied, was out of the question due to the waistline problem. In his blockbusters, he was this cut-from-steel tall dark man-- and that had gone wayward. Nobody was willing to invest in Kobayashi.

Appreciated the little time travel. I can't think of anything else and I think we hit it all on the head.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ahh yes, this one was a memory jog. It all came rushing back.

I remember reading that Seagal INSISTED on the eco script and that it was basically "his movie", in the sense that it was something important to him. He was doing some virtue signalling green peace bullshit. I also remember reading that he was actively rejecting overly violent movies with no message in them. The eco stinker barely had any violence right? Or was grossly toned down I seem to remember that was something Seagal wanted as well, less emphasis on fucking people up for the sake of fucking them up.

That's great, but that wasn't the Seagal brand. I would guess his goal was to break out of a typecast.

He tried to appear too sophisticated too fast, and people stopped caring. A second chance, as you implied, was out of the question due to the waistline problem. In his blockbusters, he was this cut-from-steel tall dark man-- and that had gone wayward. Nobody was willing to invest in Kobayashi.

Appreciated the little time travel. I can't think of anything else and I think we hit it all on the head.
this speech at the end was the cherry on top of the shit cake.
even South Park spoofed him.

edit. On Deadly Ground. not Fire Down Below. been a long time since i saw it.

Last edited:

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Terminator 2. Not sure how old I was but the scene with the nuke going off fucked me up pretty good.

Yep. First R movie I saw in a theater was probably T2. Went with a group and probably someone's older sibling in order to get in.

That scene in particular made have a dream of swimming in a lake then everything was consumed in hellfire. Good times!

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
look at that bucket of blood they splashed on the windshield, lulz

I remember reading somewhere, probably the Cinefex magazine.

That the crew also put some of their left over bits from their lunch into the bucket of blood to help add chunks and little meaty pieces. Since reading that, I do find that one shot more grosser.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I remember reading somewhere, probably the Cinefex magazine.

That the crew also put some of their left over bits from their lunch into the bucket of blood to help add chunks and little meaty pieces. Since reading that, I do find that one shot more grosser.

The theatrical release was the toned down version! (It initially got an adult only type rating for violence).

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
God Fire Down Below. What an awful movie. I think Regime Regime saw it in the theater. I think that was the last movie I saw him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ghidorah

Trakanon Raider

Lol I was six when this hit theaters and I went to see it with my mom and her boyfriend, that scene fucked me up big time. I had nightmares about getting nuked for a long time I think.

• 1Garbage

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
God Fire Down Below. What an awful movie. I think Regime Regime saw it in the theater. I think that was the last movie I saw him.
i got my movies mixed up, but yeah,Fire Down Below is another bad one. i think thats where i noped out out of his movies forever, or Glimmer Man, whichever came first.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I am pretty sure the 1st rated R movie that I saw at home was Predator around age 8ish.

I am pretty sure the 1st rated R movie that I saw in theaters was Saving Private Ryan.