The Matrix (1999)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Except for the Matrix version of The Edge, I guess. So that's 2.5 votes for 'not evil', 1 kajillion for 'evil'.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If a guy becomes a tranny in the matrix and cuts off his dick, does the dick flush down the drain in the pod in the human fields?
If a robot starts sucking a guys dick while in the energy pod does he feel it in the matrix?

Btw how did part 3 explain Neo stopping the sentinels with his powers outside the matrix? And his computer sight outside, etc?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
All we ever got was being told that the power of the One extends beyond the Matrix.

Except in the Train Man's little pocket dimension where Neo can totally get curb stomped for some reason. Even to this day that pisses me off to no end. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU MAKE THE RULES YOU HOBO BECAUSE YOUR RULES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN THE RULES OF ANY OTHER COMPUTER PROGRAM. SOME OF THEM CAN BE BENT AND SOME OF THEM CAN BE BROKEN. AND YOUR STRENGTH AND YOUR SPEED ARE STILL BASED ON A WORLD WITH RULES. AND WE WERE JUST FUCKING TOLD THAT THE POWER OF THE ONE EXTENDS BEYOND THE MATRIX.

AND SOME PEOPLE EVEN CHEERED WHEN NEO GOT RESCUED. BUT I DIDN'T CHEER. I STOOD RIGHT UP AND SHOUTED "DO YOU ALL HAVE AMNESIA? THIS ISN'T WHAT WE WERE TOLD IN THE LAST MOVIE! HE SHOULDN'T BE TRAPPED BY THE COCK A DOODIE TRAIN MAN."

Angers up my blood to this day.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
If a guy becomes a tranny in the matrix and cuts off his dick, does the dick flush down the drain in the pod in the human fields?
Here's the person to ask . . . like for fucken real.

rrr_img_18313.jpg

Yeah also the conversation about the machines getting a net power amount out of a human is just not worth doing. As was pointed out earlier, the original idea ( sorry I didn't quote that post also ) was that the humans were being used as a big memory and processing part of the whole computer system. That makes sense as to why the computers want alive and active (ie: not in a coma) humans. It could be that the jobs that they're doing in their Matrix lives, paperwork, some manual shit is the actual processing / computational etc roles in a form that's packaged to 'fit' their reality.

But that script idea was changed by studio people.

That's why we have this thing in the movie (humans as a power source) that can be easily pulled apart. Trying to take a role of defending or arguing that it makes sense = pointless.

It reminds me of another thing that annoys me, neckbeards who try to explain that the line about the the 'Millennium Falcon doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs' {parsecs being a unit of distance not time} is factual due to the bragging rights being that the spaceship is capable of dodging some black holes and taking a more direct route - which is the basis of the brag. When the truth is that Lucas simply didn't know what he was doing when he wrote the script and since then has been trying to ret-conn his mistake.

rrr_img_18313.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not sure which is worse... that thing in the picture or the dipshit who changed the idea in the script to perpetual motion machines.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
All we ever got was being told that the power of the One extends beyond the Matrix.

Except in the Train Man's little pocket dimension where Neo can totally get curb stomped for some reason. Even to this day that pisses me off to no end. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU MAKE THE RULES YOU HOBO BECAUSE YOUR RULES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN THE RULES OF ANY OTHER COMPUTER PROGRAM. SOME OF THEM CAN BE BENT AND SOME OF THEM CAN BE BROKEN. AND YOUR STRENGTH AND YOUR SPEED ARE STILL BASED ON A WORLD WITH RULES. AND WE WERE JUST FUCKING TOLD THAT THE POWER OF THE ONE EXTENDS BEYOND THE MATRIX.

AND SOME PEOPLE EVEN CHEERED WHEN NEO GOT RESCUED. BUT I DIDN'T CHEER. I STOOD RIGHT UP AND SHOUTED "DO YOU ALL HAVE AMNESIA? THIS ISN'T WHAT WE WERE TOLD IN THE LAST MOVIE! HE SHOULDN'T BE TRAPPED BY THE COCK A DOODIE TRAIN MAN."

Angers up my blood to this day.
It was a new environment. He would have figured it out eventually, just like he did in the Matrix. He also didn't know about his power extending outside the Matrix at this point yet. He was in the process of discovering this. Trinity just saved him some time.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ok so we have to accept that one human was born with retarded super human powers, or that there was a matrix within a matrix... Fucking shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It was a new environment. He would have figured it out eventually, just like he did in the Matrix. He also didn't know about his power extending outside the Matrix at this point yet. He was in the process of discovering this. Trinity just saved him some time.
BZZZZZZZZZZT

Sorry, that's an incorrect response. The answer we were looking for is "lazy writing tied to having no idea what to do with a omnipowerful character."

And seriously dude, did you even watch these movies? First you forgot that the Oracle flat out stated that Smith was evil and now this. The whole reason he was there was from zapping squids in the real world at the end of the last picture. And in the picture before that he completely transcended the artificial world the machines built to the point where he came back from the dead, saw the Matrix as code, and decided physics was for pussies. Are we really to believe that anything the Train Man could conceive of could possibly be a threat to Jesus 2.0? Really? For reals? For really reals?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when reloaded hit theaters the old board couldnt stop talking about how wtf that ending was, just about everyone assumed the third movie was going to be about the matrix inside the matrix. The third movie not only didnt have a second matrix, but that scene wasnt even properly addressed. Right there is reason enough to hate revolutions. Fucking tranny

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Are we really to believe that anything the Train Man could conceive of could possibly be a threat to Jesus 2.0? Really? For reals? For really reals?
I always chalked that up to Neo having some form of innate root access to the matrix (due to the unbalanced equation the Architect created). When he was in the train station he didn't have root access, the conductor did, which means Neo went from being Superman to Joe Schmo.

As for Neo's abilities outside the matrix... Yeah, that was bullshit. It's not like he had a wireless access point plugged into the back of his head, he could just miraculously blow up robots by putting up his hand and thinking at them. That the exact point when it lost me.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
The moment Neo got mudhole stomped by the Trainmaster was the exact moment I lost all interest in the Matrix series. It also branched off on this retarded fucking part of Morph and Trinity going after dude and the whole stupid fucking love scene of "OMG MY LOVE SHE WILL KILL YOU, SHE LOVES HIM, BETTER RELEASE HIM." Retarded, bad writing, the entire thing was thrown together as fast as possible to churn out another movie, period. This shit was not pre-written to make a trilogy.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't have a problem with Neo being unable to just power through whatever. What bothers me is that our Jesus 2.0 with godmode enabled savior of humanity that is destined to bring balance to the force who can EMP machines with his meat body gets beaten on by a complete throw-away character and with the only explanation being a single throw-away line. "I make the rules here" or whatever he says isn't good enough. The whole fucking first movie is about rules and freedom and overcoming the limitations of self. Another computer program lecturing Neo about rules? Howprecious.Wait, he's kicking his ass? The fuck?

There are all kinds of possible reasons why Neo can't just punch his way out. He can't get out because he doesn't have the access codes and while he can crack them it'll take too long, he can't navigate the tunnels in time, he might just as easily end up in the machine mainframe where he'd really be fucked, killing the Train Man would result in all pathways being sealed as a fail safe, whatever. The Train Man being tougher than he is isn't a valid option. It could have been a whole lesson about how punching machines super hard doesn't actually advance any of his own goals in and of itself rather than this thing that sidelines Neo so other people can do stuff.

And that's all it is. It's a lazy artificial obstacle for a God-tier character so the other characters can do stuff. It's no different than in Reloaded when Neo gets dropped off in Tibet and has to fly back while everyone else has a super cool fight on the freeway that he would have completely trivialized with his simple presence and STILL shows up for at the absolute last fraction of a second to save the day. But hey, good thing we had a throw-away line about upgraded Agents when Neo never fights any after that and Morpheus holds his own versus one when Smith ruined his shit in the last movie. And then in Revolutions Morpheus is Niobi's co-pilot and goes from being one of the coolest characters ever to second fiddle to someone from a video game tie in.

My bitching about this and that aside I just cannot forgive how much nothing Morpheus did in Revolutions. Reloaded fucked somethings up. Fine. Revolutions shit all over itself and the audience. Goddamn that movie is terrible.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
You guys talk about the Matrix inside the Matrix. Would be better if movie three panned out to the Matrix OUTSIDE the Matrix and you see lots of fat neckbeards frantically tapping at their keyboards to control their Neo and Agent Smith toons as they fight. Dude who had 1000 Smiths and still loses could scream out and ragequit and bitch that Neo is OP.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that would still have been better than what they did in 3. hell i dont even remember half the shit being discussed anymore in the movie, because once was enough for me. train man? i remember a weirdo couple in a subway station that neo cant leave, then all of a sudden he was out of there. it just made no sense.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
One thing that bothered me about Neo being able to cast EMP level 9 in the real world was with Smith downloaded himself into that other dudes brain and then basically got access to the real world too.

I already know The Edge will come at me with "TEH BRAIN! ITZ LIK THIS COMPUTER MACHINE TOOOOO N HE CAN CONTROL IT AND STUFF LIKE ITZ A PUTER!!"

It was BS is what it was.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Why the Sequels Suck part II

The matrix plot craters regarding why people are used for energy and why the machines keep preserving Zion ect. could have all been neatly summed up if the origins of the machine system were explored further. The only thing we get are a few lines by Morpheus in the first movie.

"A singular consciousness that spawned an entire race of machines. We don't know who struck first - us, or them. But we know it was us that scorched the sky. At the time they were dependent on solar power and it was believed that they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun. Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

And a really silly animation in the Animatrix proposing that the whole war started over a malfunctioning nanny bot. Think Rosie from the Jetsons, on trial for murder.

Anywho... If the sequels had revealed something else entirely about the origin of the conflict. The movies would have been given some real depth. Something like this:

Turns out that humanity did scorch the sky, but not because they were fighting the machines. It was the result of some massive industrial accident in space or something that released a shit load of particulate matter that would stay airborne for the next thousand years.

Vegetation starts dying, animals start starving. People are racing around trying to set up energy and food production methods not dependent on the sun. Eventually a group decides that the only way to survive this is to wait it out. And by wait it out they choose to create a system that will keep a large population in a sort of stasis while automated machines process the atmosphere and clean up the mess. And so they create the Matrix.

But it doesn't quite work out as planned. The machines are made autonomous and have factories that can build more of them, and have machines to fix the factories ect. But the program runs into a snag, the clean up process never really happens the way it's supposed to; And now the machines proceed to "clean up" everything else by eliminating it. The sky is never going to get fixed, and humanity is never going to wake up.

The people who built the matrix had estimates as to how long the clean up process was going to take but didn't know for certain. So they established a program to "unplug" individuals at regular intervals so they can determine if it would be suitable for the matrix to be shut down and for humanity to be revived. This is were the resistance comes from. They are the individuals who are woken up to assess the situation, but the machines immediately try to eliminate them. Somehow over the ages enough people have survived to create Zion. Or more accurately, the survivors find the ancient remnants of the systems that were developed to sustain humanity without solar power and establish Zion there.

And that is where we are when the first matrix movie comes in.

That would explain just about everything and give an even more ironic twist to the whole situation. And just like how Agent smith is worried that once Zion is destroyed the matrix wont need him anymore, the machines might be trying to preserve the current situation so they never "outlive" their purpose.

I want to hire myself out as a script editor. People bring me stories and I tell them why they suck; and what to do to make them awesome.