The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What? Neo's the one that corrupted Smith in the first place.
Not quite, watch the first movie again. Smith already hated the Matrix and wanted to destroy it/break out of it before Neo fucked him up.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not quite, watch the first movie again. Smith already hated the Matrix and wanted to destroy it/break out of it before Neo fucked him up.
That is what I noticed watching the last time.
I still don't know what Smith was before being free by Neo.
Was an agent but had human emotions

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That is what I noticed watching the last time.
I still don't know what Smith was before being free by Neo.
Was an agent but had human emotions
The various programs in the Matrix definitely had emotions, see the subway scene.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

No. The corruption is Neo deciding to jump inside him for some reason causing some of his code to be mixed up with Smiths. Up until that point Smith could be completely reprogrammed whenever and however the source wants.

You have programs that can take over human bodies and Neo having actual magic in the real world, but somehow re-programming a flawed program just doesn't make any sense to you.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Smith interrogating Morpheus, taking off his glasses and earpiece, "humanity is a virus" and "I wanna get out of here, cause you disgust me" definitely wasn't regular Agent-stuff. None of the other Agents even remotely behaved that way. Hell, the other agents were pretty perplexed at seeing Smith had cut comms or whatever to interrogate Morpheus.

Sure, from a script-writing point it was done to give a "relatable / hate-able" villain-motivation for the antagonist, that an emotionless programme-antagonist couldn't. But definitely deviated from the (up to that point) established rules of what Agents and programmes were in the Matrix.

• 8Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
1631897108568.png

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Smith interrogating Morpheus, taking off his glasses and earpiece, "humanity is a virus" and "I wanna get out of here, cause you disgust me" definitely wasn't regular Agent-stuff. None of the other Agents even remotely behaved that way. Hell, the other agents were pretty perplexed at seeing Smith had cut comms or whatever to interrogate Morpheus.

Sure, from a script-writing point it was done to give a "relatable / hate-able" villain-motivation for the antagonist, that an emotionless programme-antagonist couldn't. But definitely deviated from the (up to that point) established rules of what Agents and programmes were in the Matrix.
yeah, he was "off" before Reloaded, but that doesnt necessarily mean he was a corrupted program. of course it could mean that, but it could also mean he has ranking over the other agents and can do whatever he wants and has knowledge the other agents dont have.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
yeah, he was "off" before Reloaded, but that doesnt necessarily mean he was a corrupted program. of course it could mean that, but it could also mean he has ranking over the other agents and can do whatever he wants and has knowledge the other agents dont have.

Yeah, Smith hating humanity could be 100% by design and only an issue when he gets powers of the one

• 3Like

Caliane

as a system, the Matrix intentionally has wildcards. programs designed to fuck up its other systems, to ensure its robust and create unexpected results. Smith is kindof a QA program. He was programed intentionally to operate outside of Agent normal programming. And yes, it was being penetrated by Neo and the two becoming one that created a corruption. why Neo did that, I have no idea.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as a system, the Matrix intentionally has wildcards. programs designed to fuck up its other systems, to ensure its robust and create unexpected results. Smith is kindof a QA program. He was programed intentionally to operate outside of Agent normal programming. And yes, it was being penetrated by Neo and the two becoming one that created a corruption. why Neo did that, I have no idea.
i dont know if i would call Smith a wildcard, he still was following his basic programming. stamp out any anomalies, the anomalies being humans fucking with the harmony of the Matrix. he called humans a disease. he just brought that up to 11 when he got infected from Neo.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So, if we're talking about memories of the series, I remember going to see the first film after I got off my shift back in high school.

I remember thinking, with the agents at the beginning of the movie, that this film was going to have some cliched government conspiracy plot. Totally had my mind blown when it was revealed that the "authority" had already won and mankind was imprisoned in the Matrix.

I loved how the ending called back to Morpheus telling Neo he wouldn't need to dodge bullets.

As far as the sequels go, I always thought they were unnecessary even when they were first announced and that everything that needed to be said was done in the first film.

How in the world they thought they were ever going to top this:

Is beyond me.

That being said, Smith made the sequels watchable and I thought he was acted very well.

I appreciate the irony in Smith becoming akin to a virus, given his speech in the first film comparing humanity to them. The detail of his glasses becoming shaped more like a viral structure just makes it that much cooler

card back a.jpg

A shame Weaving won't be returning, unless it's a massive swerve between the director and actor. I swear if the psychologist turns out to be Smith...

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, if we're talking about memories of the series, I remember going to see the first film after I got off my shift back in high school.

I remember thinking, with the agents at the beginning of the movie, that this film was going to have some cliched government conspiracy plot. Totally had my mind blown when it was revealed that the "authority" had already won and mankind was imprisoned in the Matrix.

I loved how the ending called back to Morpheus telling Neo he wouldn't need to dodge bullets.

As far as the sequels go, I always thought they were unnecessary even when they were first announced and that everything that needed to be said was done in the first film.

How in the world they thought they were ever going to top this:

Is beyond me.

That being said, Smith made the sequels watchable and I thought he was acted very well.

I appreciate the irony in Smith becoming akin to a virus, given his speech in the first film comparing humanity to them. The detail of his glasses becoming shaped more like a viral structure just makes it that much cooler

View attachment 373689

A shame Weaving won't be returning, unless it's a massive swerve between the director and actor. I swear if the psychologist turns out to be Smith...
The first movie is just a masterpiece. There are very few wasted moments or wasted lines, tons of foreshadowing throughout, the hallmarks of a good movie.

The second and third movie really could have just been one 2.5 hour movie. The actual plot/story arc across the films is good, but there's so much filler and so many wasted scenes in the second and third film.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
The first movie is just a masterpiece. There are very few wasted moments or wasted lines, tons of foreshadowing throughout, the hallmarks of a good movie.

The second and third movie really could have just been one 2.5 hour movie. The actual plot/story arc across the films is good, but there's so much filler and so many wasted scenes in the second and third film.
One of the things I noticed about the second and third film, after having watched it over the years, is how Neo almost never fully utilizes his potential as The One.

At the end of the first film, he makes bullets stop midair: weapons don't work on him.
Agent Smith tries to physically fight him, Neo casually blocks every attack without even looking at his opponent: physical attacks do not work.

Come the second and third films, Neo is back to using martial arts on his opponents, when the first film shows he is far beyond the need to use them. He never tries to use his ability to destroy hostile programs from within like he does Agent Smith in the first film. Nor does he really try using any metaphysical abilities (except in the real world) to his advantage except to fly in retreat or save Trinity's life. Smith nearly highlights this in the second film when he taunts Neo with "still using every muscle but the one that matters?"

I know at the heart of these movies is the whole wuxia aesthetic, but that's prob why the first film was so good: without feeling like a blatant ripoff of The Force, the audience is shown that the physical does not matter and there's no need to go further. With sequels, there was really no where to expand on this.

Ironically enough, this may be why Smith was so much more compelling as a character than Neo in the sequels: he's a wildcard that represents his own side of the war, he uses his special abilities first and foremost (unless he needs to physically subdue and restrain his victim to overwrite them) and his ultimate goal has morphed into the need to destroy the real world (physical) and the Matrix (metaphysical).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user