The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
One of the things I noticed about the second and third film, after having watched it over the years, is how Neo almost never fully utilizes his potential as The One.

At the end of the first film, he makes bullets stop midair: weapons don't work on him.
Agent Smith tries to physically fight him, Neo casually blocks every attack without even looking at his opponent: physical attacks do not work.

Come the second and third films, Neo is back to using martial arts on his opponents, when the first film shows he is far beyond the need to use them. He never tries to use his ability to destroy hostile programs from within like he does Agent Smith in the first film. Nor does he really try using any metaphysical abilities (except in the real world) to his advantage except to fly in retreat or save Trinity's life. Smith nearly highlights this in the second film when he taunts Neo with "still using every muscle but the one that matters?"

I know at the heart of these movies is the whole wuxia aesthetic, but that's prob why the first film was so good: without feeling like a blatant ripoff of The Force, the audience is shown that the physical does not matter and there's no need to go further. With sequels, there was really no where to expand on this.

Ironically enough, this may be why Smith was so much more compelling as a character than Neo in the sequels: he's a wildcard that represents his own side of the war, he uses his special abilities first and foremost (unless he needs to physically subdue and restrain his victim to overwrite them) and his ultimate goal has morphed into the need to destroy the real world (physical) and the Matrix (metaphysical).
5o8nev.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The first movie is just a masterpiece. There are very few wasted moments or wasted lines, tons of foreshadowing throughout, the hallmarks of a good movie.

The second and third movie really could have just been one 2.5 hour movie. The actual plot/story arc across the films is good, but there's so much filler and so many wasted scenes in the second and third film.
More Monica Bellucci would have been good filler

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They had to depower neo or it would have been a very short trilogy. The most egregious part is when he opens a door and ends up far away in the mountains. Just so they could have the highway scene. They never did that shit before or after. Godmode really sucks ass for making movies. It's why why Superman is so difficult to pull off outside of an origin story.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They had to depower neo or it would have been a very short trilogy. The most egregious part is when he opens a door and ends up far away in the mountains. Just so they could have the highway scene. They never did that shit before or after. Godmode really sucks ass for making movies. It's why why Superman is so difficult to pull off outside of an origin story.
no, they were just stupid trannys that couldn't think of something simple like

"neo, ever since you became the one, you cant use your powers openly b/c it'll destroy the matrix code and a pod person will die"

like, bamm i just thought of that, and that way, he won't have to fly around with ghetto cgi looking like rubber man

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no, they were just stupid trannys that couldn't think of something simple like

"neo, ever since you became the one, you cant use your powers openly b/c it'll destroy the matrix code and a pod person will die"

like, bamm i just thought of that, and that way, he won't have to fly around with ghetto cgi looking like rubber man
That's no good. The agents hijack pod people all the time. Life is expendable. Neo would still need to use his powers for the planned fight scenes.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's the same issue that I have with the Oracle character. She should have seen everything, the good and the bad, the betrayal of Cypher for example.
They made Neo OP and they had to get out of that hole, afterwards.
But they never knew how. FFS he could even remove bullets and restart a heart lol

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Id guess Neo was written as a god at the end because they never thought about sequels. Him being a god isnt a problem when you will never expand upon it.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Id guess Neo was written as a god at the end because they never thought about sequels. Him being a god isnt a problem when you will never expand upon it.
basically. many movies do this, of course its difficult to resist the pressure from the public and studios to make more. its why a lot of times the sequel is basically a remake of the first movie and/or they feel weaker than the original. there are exceptions, but most of the time directors blow their wads with the first film and then kinda shoot blanks in the sequels or they just nope out of even making them so the studios insert a hired gun to direct it in their place. actors will sometimes follow along the original director because they know its gonna be shit the second time without them.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw Matrix Reloaded yesterday again, 1st time for my GF.
The movie is so uninspired, you don't care about anything. Some fights are too long. She bursted out laughing when Neo restarted Trinity's heart lol
My GF at the end:
"this movie gave me nothing at all. 2/10"

And she really likes the 1st one.
Already told her the 3rd one is even worse, her response :
"how is that even possible?"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

Sortof.

The big issue is, Neo was the lead again.
its standard D&D. when the PC's hit level 20, etc, they become demigods, and you retire them. then they are NPCS, mythical figures in the new characters campaigns.

This is why Animatrix worked. there were TONS of stories that could be told elsewhere in the matrix. in the future of the matrix, in the past of the matrix. but at best, NEO in those is just a mythical god that shows up, and helps rescue the story character from the Matrix.

I mean, THIS piece of shit. again, neo, trinity, etc.

They could have just rebooted it, and left us without a real answer.
totally new characters. Neo and his sacrifice is some underground myth, like the white rabbit. and as the story unfolds, we NEVER get a definitive answer. Why does the Matrix still exist? same as "why was the sun blocked out, and who did it? them or us?

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's no good. The agents hijack pod people all the time. Life is expendable. Neo would still need to use his powers for the planned fight scenes.
Actually it could be good. When Neo use his power, the matrix needs to fill the holes and rewrites itself, draining a huge amount of power, massively killing people.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Actually it could be good. When Neo use his power, the matrix needs to fill the holes and rewrites itself, draining a huge amount of power, massively killing people.
it wouldnt make for a very exciting movie if Neo didnt flex his Neo powers for fear of killing people.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm pretty sure that stupid fucking rave scene was the minute I realized that the first Matrix was a fluke.
there were a few hints in the first one as well, but we didnt notice them because the rest of the movie was so cool. that Oracle scene with the spoon kid was superfluous. they didnt need an oracle to talk about a prophecy, just the concept alone raises questions about how much of this was preplanned by the Matrix, then the spoon kid. was spoon kid a future Neo? he was just some dork who dug on bending spoons? they were better off leaving the Oracle out and just had some random graffiti or legend that there was a One to save everyone from the machines. nothing specific like this person said the One is this or that. keep it vague and mysterious.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The original Matrix gets a massive pass from me just because it was so awesome compared to anything I'd seen before. If you really think about the plot it really is piss poor. The robots enslave humans as batteries so they can keep on living? Really?

Why not just mine the shit out the planet, use the planet's core somehow, or build towers or send rockets above the layer blocking out the sun. I mean, why waste the sheer amount of energy needed to keep the humans alive just to get some small percentage back?

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Found this interesting, not that I really care as I wont be watching this movie till its on Netflix or Hulu

• 2Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The original Matrix gets a massive pass from me just because it was so awesome compared to anything I'd seen before. If you really think about the plot it really is piss poor. The robots enslave humans as batteries so they can keep on living? Really?

Why not just mine the shit out the planet, use the planet's core somehow, or build towers or send rockets above the layer blocking out the sun. I mean, why waste the sheer amount of energy needed to keep the humans alive just to get some small percentage back?
probably because some progammer fucked up an algorithm somewhere, triggering this miscalculation. Most likely, the source code of the matrix would have a "PLACEHOLDER VALUE - DO NOT PUSH TO PRODUCTION UNCHANGED" somewhere.

• 2Worf