The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought this would be visually nice but its just generic, anything interesting/good visually was all in the trailer

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought this would be visually nice but its just generic, anything interesting/good visually was all in the trailer
honestly i thought the same thing. i figured the story would be woke trash but it would at least be visually compelling. say what you will about matrix 2 and 3, they still had good visuals and interesting fight scenes, but i was struggling to stay awake for this entire movie.

• 2Like

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Good, not great. 7/10

Suffered from lack of Don Davis music, storyboarding, and lackluster 3rd act.

Still some very enjoyable moments, though nothing quite as iconic as what appeared in the original trilogy. I appreciate the originality though in the story telling. Definitely did not play it safe. Focused more on the love story than humans v machines which would have been the safe route taken had WB rebooted it, no doubt.

I like Bugs and hope there's a fifth, but this story itself could have been its own trilogy and probably deserved to be delved into deeper.

• 4Like
  • 3Picard
  • 2Barf
Reactions: 10 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the first 2/3's of the movie. It was an interesting idea and worth the watch. It fell pretty damn hard at the end. Why would they change the world? Didn't Agent Smith state that the very first Matrix gave humans everything they wanted? Then, it failed. I was not a big fan of Neil Patrick Harris's character. Just felt off later in the movie. Did a double take at Christina Ricci being in this movie.

It was worth the watch but I did miss Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving.

Also,

Really...the final song, but sung by a woman.

Sigh...

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
This was a soulless fucking movie. It's a shame because the underlying story isn't bad but shit casting and rehashing the first movie made this pretty lame.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
This wasn’t even close to good. Incredibly cringey throwbacks and mostly absolute nonsense. This is what I expect from someone that’s cut their own cock off. 2/10. Two points for convincing Keanu to be in this wreck and not making a trans hero be the lead.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
American Inventor I know you are a pure fucking retard you prove it everytime you fucking post, but in the intro scene you halfwit dogfucker Nu-Morpheous before we know it was literally Agents Smiths role in the goddamn movie. Maybe lay off the fucking dogjizz and sniffing Coke off dudes cocks faggot and you will retain some basic cognitive function.
Do I have to keep using in Spoiler tags? Since I am out of step on this AND Witcher. I need to read/watch more reviews trashing this; I don't get the hate. I mean, the Matrix is one of my favorite films of all time. Two and Three were huge letdowns at the time but I have softened a little bit over the years, in that I kind of hold them separate. Grace Randolph's review is typically Grace. I mean I don't care, normally I am harsher than most but I don't get the dismissal here. I guess it thought that by putting a pin in the soft reboot and making that part of the narrative of the movie itself ("If we don't do it, Warner Bros. will get someone else to do it") its just too self-referential/meta for audiences and people are rejecting that outright? This was, without a doubt, almost completely a TFA soft reboot hiding as a 4th film. No one cared when it was TFA but people sure as fuck are bombing this movie for it. It's just nice enough to tell you throughout the flight what it is.

I enjoyed the first 2/3's of the movie. It was an interesting idea and worth the watch. It fell pretty damn hard at the end. Why would they change the world? Didn't Agent Smith state that the very first Matrix gave humans everything they wanted? Then, it failed. I was not a big fan of Neil Patrick Harris's character. Just felt off later in the movie. Did a double take at Christina Ricci being in this movie.

Also,

Sigh...

Part of NPH/Analyst's innovation, per his soliloquy was that by denying people what they wanted, giving them nightmares, "desire and fear", he was setting productivity records every year. The actual changes mentioned were more about "what a Free Mind could do" or some other vague BS just like the end of the first movie.

The nu-Morpheus in the beginning is Neo's creation, half Smith and and half-Morpheus. They are in a nodal, a part of Neo's game where he is testing old code running parts of the old Matrix

Edit: Fuck, The Morrigan shares my opinion. It's dead Jim.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This was such a piece of shit that it was a good laugh to watch.

It’s not like the original movies were paragons of good filmmaking so it totally lived up to their legacy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is a highlander sequel. You can't disprove that, you don't even want to think about it enough to try. Pretend it doesn't exist.

• 2Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Also,

Sigh...

This matrix is more hellish, but supplies a lot more power. Stupid and nonsensical, but actually was explained.

Ending was kind of dumb, but overall this was better than 3 at least

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Watching a bunch of negative reviews on Youtube (Campea, Dan Murrell, Grace Randolph, various others) to see how they come to their conclusions. I just disagree. It's not great by any stretch but really it's Matrix: The Ride. Its a very Meta Soft Reboot.

I didn't think it was confusing at all. I don't think its a mess. It's light fare and glides through. It's like what you would see at Disneyland for The Matrix. Note: I have never been to Disneyland.

The WhatCulture Review I thought was pretty good:
Note: He says you will either love it or hate it. I don't but apparently not thinking its terrible makes you an extreme outlier.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Cringe as in so bad its funny or just so bad its not even funny?
Second one.

There's a bunch of fucking "humor" I'm sure Lana thought was cleverly self aware or something that just constantly referenced the absurdity of this movie's existence in the first quarter, such as Neo existing in the Matrix now as a video game designer that released a trilogy of best selling games that are straight up the first three movies. Evil Warner Bros. wants money and is forcing him to make a 4th. It's IRONIC because in reality it's Ms. MA'AM that wanted to make the movie! Get it???

The Merovingian makes a return that is 110% lame, just making some half-assed "hello fellow children" bitching about Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook.
The ending makes no sense, considering it suggests Neo and Mrs. Neo are going to make the Matrix a better, happier, rainbow filled place, despite the fact that we know that doesn't work and humans will reject it. If they are only being sarcastic, then it ignores the primary cause for this movie's plot: the opt-out version of the Matrix resulted in a power scarcity for the machines, and the subsequent middle finger to the truce. I guess there's the difference that Neo and Trinity are both alive, but damn I guess I just don't care when you consider how little they explore the ramifications of that beyond RAINBOWS.

I'm just slightly drunk right now, so hopefully that makes sense.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The whole mmo thing could have referenced the Matrix Online somehow

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
This movie isn't good. Maybe it's because my expectations were so low and how bad the 3rd movie was already that I can't really summon any real hate for it though. Mediocre to bad movie is mediocre to bad. Who knew?!?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got home from seeing this. Really long movie. It was actually longer than Spider-Man. At the same time, I wasn't bored at all watching it. It was a great mind fuck type of film. The "White Rabbit" song fit perfectly, as it was very similar to "The Game" in that you didn't really know what was going on, and were just there for the ride.

As much as I really liked Spider-Man, I think this takes the throne as Movie of the Year for me. It was fantastic.

EDIT: Yes, it did have its flaws, but it seemed to pull me in more. Spider-Man was great, don't get me wrong. But this was just a little bit better (for me). And after seeing it, I can imagine better re-watchability than I can imagine Spider-Man having. There were just too many slow dramatic scenes in Spider-Man. This had slow scenes as well, but quite a bit more action. And the action keeps my attention.

Last edited:
  • 4Seriously?
  • 4WTF
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 10 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Second one.

There's a bunch of fucking "humor" I'm sure Lana thought was cleverly self aware or something that just constantly referenced the absurdity of this movie's existence in the first quarter, such as Neo existing in the Matrix now as a video game designer that released a trilogy of best selling games that are straight up the first three movies. Evil Warner Bros. wants money and is forcing him to make a 4th. It's IRONIC because in reality it's Ms. MA'AM that wanted to make the movie! Get it???

The Merovingian makes a return that is 110% lame, just making some half-assed "hello fellow children" bitching about Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook.
The ending makes no sense, considering it suggests Neo and Mrs. Neo are going to make the Matrix a better, happier, rainbow filled place, despite the fact that we know that doesn't work and humans will reject it. If they are only being sarcastic, then it ignores the primary cause for this movie's plot: the opt-out version of the Matrix resulted in a power scarcity for the machines, and the subsequent middle finger to the truce. I guess there's the difference that Neo and Trinity are both alive, but damn I guess I just don't care when you consider how little they explore the ramifications of that beyond RAINBOWS.

I'm just slightly drunk right now, so hopefully that makes sense.
They didn't say what kind of changes they were going to make, just "show what a free mind could do", they know enough to avoid causing more scarcity again, etc. Remember, this is pretty close to a shot for shot or a scene for scene remake, so this is the analogue to Neo's call to the Architect at the end of the first Matrix. There was nothing to indicate the conflict with the Analyst was over, tons of loose threads remained, deliberately placed in order to have something to do in the (hoped for by some) 5th movie, which I think everyone sensible would pray to not be a TFA-style soft reboot nor a member-berries nostalgia ride at WB-World.

The Merv scene is the weakest in any movie I have seen this year; as much as I was not hating the movie, I actually considered stopping watching when his 80's Exiles popped up, reading spoilers for the rest of the movie and maybe coming back later if it sounded like it didn't suck. A preview of the fight scene for those trying to imagine it, with a great 80's song:

This is literally the first thing I thought of watching the Exiles fight. Not the Ghosts/Werewolves/Vampires that the Exiles were in Reloaded, which was fairly awesome but Flashdance French Acrobats and a homeless street preacher who had stolen a shredded tassel coat from Morris Day and the Time.

Last edited: