The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

joz123

Potato del Grande
I just got home from seeing this. Really long movie. It was actually longer than Spider-Man. At the same time, I wasn't bored at all watching it. It was a great mind fuck type of film. The "White Rabbit" song fit perfectly, as it was very similar to "The Game" in that you didn't really know what was going on, and were just there for the ride.

As much as I really liked Spider-Man, I think this takes the throne as Movie of the Year for me. It was fantastic.

EDIT: Yes, it did have its flaws, but it seemed to pull me in more. Spider-Man was great, don't get me wrong. But this was just a little bit better (for me). And after seeing it, I can imagine better re-watchability than I can imagine Spider-Man having. There were just too many slow dramatic scenes in Spider-Man. This had slow scenes as well, but quite a bit more action. And the action keeps my attention.
Doctor Who What GIF

• 7Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie looks like pure fanservice, like it's not a movie made to get new fans, but to please current fans. Problem is, while it completely fails at existing as a good stand-alone 2021 movie I think it also severely lacks original iconography and what makes fanservice decent.

As a 2021 standalone movie it's not good: cinematography looks too bland, too generic, story felt too convoluted and the whole thing had no rhythm at all (I suspect the absence of storyboard is the culprit here, or maybe too much editing). Also, 22 years after, we now have confirmation Will Smith's wife is still a terrible actress.

As a pure fanservice product, it kind of works sometimes but it's also not really there: action scenes were underwhelming, original iconography is weird: Keanu looks tired in all his scenes, both Weaving and Fishburne are absent, new agent Smith is basically The Joker and The Analyst looks like a James Bond villain lost in a bollywood movie.

I still feel guilty because I didn't hate it as hard as I thought I would, there's some stuff I liked (the bike scene) and while some meta jokes felt they were from a SNL skit, I almost chuckled at some of them. For a movie no one asked for, maybe it's enough?

rad

Lord of Guk
Good lord, couple of you are on some serious fucking copium. Even when 2 & 3 were at their worse, the cinematography always carried, fights were original and had weight. This pile of garbage was amateur hour in nearly every way. Trying to cover up the shit writing with all the meta jokes fell completely flat. As others have said, Hugo's absence was definitely felt.

Makes a lot more sense now why the second half of the freak show wanted nothing to do with it.

"Unlike the first two sequels, no second unit was used for any of the action sequences, as Lana Wachowski directed all the scenes herself." ORLY - couldn't tell!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Good, not great. 7/10

Suffered from lack of Don Davis music, storyboarding, and lackluster 3rd act.

Still some very enjoyable moments, though nothing quite as iconic as what appeared in the original trilogy. I appreciate the originality though in the story telling. Definitely did not play it safe. Focused more on the love story than humans v machines which would have been the safe route taken had WB rebooted it, no doubt.

I like Bugs and hope there's a fifth, but this story itself could have been its own trilogy and probably deserved to be delved into deeper.
Bugs was the worst character of all. Only in the matrix could a tiny fat manlet such as himself be that ambidextrous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
THE MATRIX IS TRANSPOLITICS!

anyone else catch that?

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fuck every character in the movie, i thought maybe they could fix the sequels but they somehow made it worse

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
He did that in Bill and Ted 3 too.

He might just be getting old lol.

There obviously isn't much dialogue in John Wick and I CBA to check his performance there, but I don't remember it being the same. Maybe in Bill and Ted he was going for the same kind of surfer/stoner/"whoa" vibe and he can't pull it off anymore.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
THE MATRIX IS TRANSPOLITICS!

anyone else catch that?

It was in a scene where all the NPCs were pushing their anti capitalist woke bullshit as the true meaning behind the matrix with Keanu just rolling his eyes and hating it. It was a super weird meta moment that almost made me say “oh fuck are the trannies based”

The whole idea that the matrix changed from order and control and logic to fear and emotions really fit the change of America inthe social media age and I thought they actually might have been right on shitting on lefties and modern progressives. The enemy literally points out that humanity gave away freedom and control to be sheep that live in a feedback loop of outrage. That they don’t care about facts but emotions only.

but the rest of the movie sucked and the Stupid wokies don’t even realize this is about them and projected trump far right shit into it.

I think this shows the Waxhowski bros arent trans but just mentally ill shit lords that like attention and dominatrix shit. They live as women as the ultimate slaves sub behavior but deep down are still incel beckbeard based fags from the 90s

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It was in a scene where all the NPCs were pushing their anti capitalist woke bullshit as the true meaning behind the matrix with Keanu just rolling his eyes and hating it. It was a super weird meta moment that almost made me say “oh fuck are the trannies based”

The whole idea that the matrix changed from order and control and logic to fear and emotions really fit the change of America inthe social media age and I thought they actually might have been right on shitting on lefties and modern progressives. The enemy literally points out that humanity gave away freedom and control to be sheep that live in a feedback loop of outrage. That they don’t care about facts but emotions only.

but the rest of the movie sucked and the Stupid wokies don’t even realize this is about them and projected trump far right shit into it.

I think this shows the Waxhowski bros arent trans but just mentally ill shit lords that like attention and dominatrix shit. They live as women as the ultimate slaves sub behavior but deep down are still incel beckbeard based fags from the 90s
Yeah that threw me off. Humanity gave up freedom to be sheep. Why would that transfag woke director put that in there.

Caliane

Second one.

There's a bunch of fucking "humor" I'm sure Lana thought was cleverly self aware or something that just constantly referenced the absurdity of this movie's existence in the first quarter, such as Neo existing in the Matrix now as a video game designer that released a trilogy of best selling games that are straight up the first three movies. Evil Warner Bros. wants money and is forcing him to make a 4th. It's IRONIC because in reality it's Ms. MA'AM that wanted to make the movie! Get it???

The Merovingian makes a return that is 110% lame, just making some half-assed "hello fellow children" bitching about Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook.
The ending makes no sense, considering it suggests Neo and Mrs. Neo are going to make the Matrix a better, happier, rainbow filled place, despite the fact that we know that doesn't work and humans will reject it. If they are only being sarcastic, then it ignores the primary cause for this movie's plot: the opt-out version of the Matrix resulted in a power scarcity for the machines, and the subsequent middle finger to the truce. I guess there's the difference that Neo and Trinity are both alive, but damn I guess I just don't care when you consider how little they explore the ramifications of that beyond RAINBOWS.

I'm just slightly drunk right now, so hopefully that makes sense.
It is a bit interesting, there could be a proper movie idea here, that your comments bring up. A bunch of different matrixes. Alot more like Westworld, soma, or video games in general.
Different people are going to want different things. what people really need is purpose. Some people will want to be heroes, protecting their family, others having a family. others, will want to be architects.
put some people into a warzone/superhero matrix, where THEY are heroes fighting the good fight.. put others into a world, where THEY are the architect, building it, up like a god, guiding their civilization...

Even taking the westworld idea into it. humans and A.I. in the matrix, using cyborg bodies in the real world, as avatars. immortality.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just got home from seeing this. Really long movie. It was actually longer than Spider-Man. At the same time, I wasn't bored at all watching it. It was a great mind fuck type of film. The "White Rabbit" song fit perfectly, as it was very similar to "The Game" in that you didn't really know what was going on, and were just there for the ride.

As much as I really liked Spider-Man, I think this takes the throne as Movie of the Year for me. It was fantastic.

EDIT: Yes, it did have its flaws, but it seemed to pull me in more. Spider-Man was great, don't get me wrong. But this was just a little bit better (for me). And after seeing it, I can imagine better re-watchability than I can imagine Spider-Man having. There were just too many slow dramatic scenes in Spider-Man. This had slow scenes as well, but quite a bit more action. And the action keeps my attention.
This is why we can't have nice things.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried watching it, but I keep almost falling asleep. What I got through seemed like a fucking Hallmark movie.

Sterling

El Presidente
I tried watching it, but I keep almost falling asleep. What I got through seemed like a fucking Hallmark movie.
Early portion was slow and boring. Back end of the movie had 2 extra chromosomes.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure Chad was how Smith described himself,,a reference to how good looking he was
Maybe, but casting on places like IMDB only lists him as Smith whereas they list Neo and Trinity as Thomas/Neo etc. Oddly enough I didn’t see a casting entry for her husband.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>

I think this was why I thought the first 1/3 of the movie (minus the remake of the OG opening scene) was interesting/good.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>

Yeah. The meta message was surprisingly good and certainly not what I was expecting going into it. It's too bad the actual film kind of sucked. The original Matrix was an an awesome movie with a cool meta message on top of it. Oh well!

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Wasn't the original meta that the brothers wanted to chop of their dicks and become abominations?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Slept on it and... yeah, just no. It isn't even an over the top spectacle worth seeing on a big screen just for the visuals. Regardless of how you felt about the different movies of the original trilogy they tended to have that going for them all else fails and this one couldn't even do that.