The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, you can't forget about orgasm cake and rogue programs using humans for sex. Really puts the trilogy into perspective.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
With this review, I finally understand why people hate this movie so much. If Trinity is overtly the new One, rather than the two of them together and their connection, since Neo made his choice in the previous Matrix and resurrected Trinity at the end of Reloaded, I would agree that robs the movie of all worth, as I said in my original review. I get the disappointment. I just didn't feel it quite as much. Lana learned the lesson of the TLJ pretty well, it seems, and camouflages shitting on your previous hero too much.

It still feels like Neo is the One at the very end but now Trinity is ALSO has the power of the One. In this new Matrix its their connection together. That to me is not quite the same. Movie is still Matrix: The Ride. Still 6ish/10 for me. It's interesting as various folks have pointed out that no one dies in this; all the "people" getting killed are bots (no longer coppertops); swarm mode is all bots; all of the crews survive, even weirdly hot Mexican actress crew lady; Neo never shoots a gun, he only stops bullets. The pacing is weird; Half the movie goes by before he gets out with Bugs and her rabbit tattoo (Tattoo Wars!). On a rewatch with my wife, Trinity says she wants to kick Chad's jaw off, which she does to the Analyst at the end.

In the vein of feelings, with all the above, the feel is kind of weird as well, as why I keep referring to it as "The Ride"; its more evocative of The Matrix than recreating it. It's Batman 2099 or Steampunk DC or whatever that was.

To wrap this up, with all the fanservice/navel gazing/member berries, in some ways, it wasn't that way *enough*: That was just tantalizing without delivering on what people really wanted. 'Member?, 'Member?, 'Member? Lots of people invoked their own Morpheus and said "Show me" and this Matrix failed to deliver on that. The fate of Tantalus should bear testament: For attempting to serve his own son at a feast with the gods, he was punished by Zeus to forever go thirsty and hungry in Hades despite being stood in a pool of water and almost within reach of a fruit tree.
See, when I watched this in theaters, I wasn't thinking at all about trans bullshit.

The new architect guy said that both Neo and Trinity died at the end of 3, so the machines found their remains and rebuilt them based off of DNA or something. That part wasn't clear.

When Neo tried to fly earlier in the movie and nothing happened, that was funny. Everyone in the theater chuckled during that scene.
Towards the end when Trinity goes on a flight while carrying Neo, all I thought of is that the machines fucked up and put too much Neo remains into the Trinity project, and vise versa. So in my mind, it made sense. If you don't run around looking for outrage, you won't find anywhere near as easily. We should all know this from dealing with liberals. And I still enjoyed the movie.

• 2Like
  • 2Dislike
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
When Neo tried to fly earlier in the movie and nothing happened, that was funny. Everyone in the theater chuckled during that scene.
Yes, the kind of person who would go to the theater to watch this garbage is probably the kind of person who would find that funny.

• 6Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
There wasn't much to like from this one. I got no joy out of the reprising cast sleepwalking through this one. Neil Patrick Harris' the Analyst (what a dumb fucking name) was terrible. Just about every scene involving him, aside from perhaps the first, was just not good. I felt a lot of his scenes towards the end were geared towards kids, just felt so campy and lame. No Hugo Weaving, though given Smiths scenes, that was probably for the best. The story itself just didn't need to be made.

I did like some of the new characters, like Bugs' crew and homeless Merv..that was about it. 2.5 hours of my life that aint coming back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
See, when I watched this in theaters, I wasn't thinking at all about trans bullshit.

The new architect guy said that both Neo and Trinity died at the end of 3, so the machines found their remains and rebuilt them based off of DNA or something. That part wasn't clear.

Towards the end when Trinity goes on a flight while carrying Neo, all I thought of is that the machines fucked up and put too much Neo remains into the Trinity project, and vise versa. So in my mind, it made sense. If you don't run around looking for outrage, you won't find anywhere near as easily. We should all know this from dealing with liberals. And I still enjoyed the movie.
The thing is that under the original Canon neo was neo because of the mathematical anomaly that happened on the matrix code. If we don't take into account the bullshit of him having real world powers at the end of part 3.
Basically Neo was the one because his brain was resistant to the matrix code, and he was able to manipulate it back. The matrix is simply signals being directly feed to a human brain. There is nothing special about it, they are stimuli that the human brain reacts to. In the case on the One, the stimuli does not work like it does on the others and the One is able to manipulate the stimuli as he wishes. The new movie talks about source code of neo and trinity like that is a thing..

Also new agent Smith jumping in at the end and deux ex machina the analyst power without any explanation was ridiculous.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
fuck this movie.
Lets replace agents with rage zombies and make it all pointless chaos. Fire all the choreographers eveyone just throw your bodies at each other we will smash cut 14 times a second so no one will notice.

Fuck a cohesive style everyone go rag tag like a dance off movie and all try to stand out from each other visually because your personality sure as shit isn’t going to do it.

You will endanger IO...did they? Did any of that shit with old Niaobi have a point?

Instead of having a stressful cool superman/awakening moment lets have you clearly dangle from a crane for 2 minutes while it is explained Neo still can’t fly.
Blue hair, you need to go because your brain matches! We know this and have the technology to know this but we have no science or previous discussions about any of it. Its cool though it matches...

oh fake husband don’t call me that my name is...
kill me now barney stinson GIF

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I legitimately gave the rationale of The Matrix as a trans allegory a go and nope... doesn't fit.
When all the people were suicide jumping out of windows turning into meat puddings...

...I think that's the trans allegory part.

• 2Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

When all the people were suicide jumping out of windows turning into meat puddings...

...I think that's the trans allegory part.
Ya, I didnt understand how people jumping out of windows translated into a green splat down on the road. Or even the physics of someone falling onto a car making it full on flip. Maybe a fucking 1500 lb Kia Rio or something, but a full on 6-8k pound SUV? Gtfo. Not that realism even matters, but some shit just made me roll my eyes for no real benefit to the movie.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Ya, I didnt understand how people jumping out of windows translated into a green splat down on the road. Or even the physics of someone falling onto a car making it full on flip. Maybe a fucking 1500 lb Kia Rio or something, but a full on 6-8k pound SUV? Gtfo. Not that realism even matters, but some shit just made me roll my eyes for no real benefit to the movie.
I think the idea is that when they get converted to the Matrix-y zombies their bodies turn into living code... like how their eyes glossed over into green code.

But yes, either way... st00pid~

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What was the inside joke with trinity name being Tiffany?
I really don't care, but even that part was stupid.

Daidraco

What was the inside joke with trinity name being Tiffany?
I really don't care, but even that part was stupid.
That was something else that didnt make a lot of sense? Its like someone had a hang up on someone named Tiffany. Ie. Before they chopped their dick off.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watching this and then comparing to the original Matrix makes me wonder if the Wachowski's even really had a hand in the original, and were actually carried by extreme talent around them. The first one was so unique and inspired. There is no remnant or indication of that in this.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Remember, they originally had Will Smith as their first choice to be Neo.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Remember, they originally had Will Smith as their first choice to be Neo.
Matrix would have never been more than a footnote of mediocre. Not because I hate Will Smith, but because of him coming off of Men In Black - it would have took away any serious thought or introspect into the original story of the Matrix. I never knew that they wanted Will Smith, but good lord that would have changed everything. Pretty much a "Shit happens for a reason" reaction.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watching this and then comparing to the original Matrix makes me wonder if the Wachowski's even really had a hand in the original, and were actually carried by extreme talent around them. The first one was so unique and inspired. There is no remnant or indication of that in this.
I think they blew their creative load making The Matrix. There was nothing left after that. They used every cool new trick and creative idea they had. Reminds me of Patrick Rothfuss, guy who wrote 'The Name of the Wind'.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they blew their creative load making The Matrix.
Considering how everything else they ever did was so bad, I think it's far more likely that the first Matrix movie wasn't really their creation.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think The Matrix was one of those lightning in a bottle things. a one hit wonder if you will. weve seen it happen many many times. they mixed in the right amount of story with other aspects they borrowed from TV commercials and other movies for a culmination that hit all the right buttons for an iconic film. i think it also helps if you have some creativity for more than one project. drugs help.