The Meg (2018)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For dumb popcorn flicks... it wasn't the worst. Sure, bring on #2.

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Yeah, dumb but enjoyable.

I saw the first at the cinema, can't remember whos idea it was, but still thought it was okay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
I couldn't understand why they took away all the cool stuff about the shark from the books that made it more interesting than just being a big shark, like it being blind from living in darkness and having evolved white semi bioluminescent skin to attract prey, or due to it being so big, when it would open it's mouth, the vacuum created would suck people in. Hell the ending of the book was even more over the top than the movie, surprised they left that out.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Money. Also couldn't do the scene with it staring at the girl. Also.. money. Expect less attempted rape for the sequel compared to the books.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
WwuiWSqNnhwguIDdw24yS2xkFg137ZXx0vDoVceVYbs.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am a big fan of Statham, but you needed a lobotomy to enjoy the retarded fight scenes at the end of the Meg. Now they need to top that in 2, so expect a giant shark in Astartes power armor and a chain sword/bolt pistol combo fighting Statham in a Atlas Battlemech. In space.

EDIT - IIRC the worst part of the latter half of The Meg was the super early WE WON scene and then you looked at the remaining run time and thought to yourself - yeah, not that I needed that hint, but we all know there is a LOT more of this bullshit fight left to watch.

Last edited:

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
Hell in the first book, Jonas drove one of those fast little subs they have right down the sharks throat, then got out, used one of the sharks teeth to saw a hole in the stomach, then crawled throught the sharks body to the heart and used the tooth to sever all the arteries connected to the heart. He then managed to crawl back through the body, back through the hole in the stomach, back into the mini sub and managed to pilot it back to the surface.

That's how I remember it anyway, I read that book over 20 years ago.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am a big fan of Statham, but you needed a lobotomy to enjoy the retarded fight scenes at the end of the Meg. Now they need to top that in 2, so expect a giant shark in Astartes power armor and a chain sword/bolt pistol combo fighting Statham in a Atlas Battlemech. In space.
we are NOT that lucky

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks like only the actors for Jonas, Mac, DJ, and the kid are returning for the sequel? They brought in a better known Chinese dude to appeal to that market as a replacement for Li Bingbing.

j00t

i ADORE that jason statham is in this franchise as well as fast and furious, but also says that super hero movies are trash.

• 1Worf

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I love how some exec said "it has to make a sound, it can't just be silent when it jumps out of the water to grab someone."

and the sound effect artists were like "well I guess it could roar like a lion...?"

"perfect."

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Looks far worse than the first, but I'm sure I'll watch it 20x just like the first, once it hits TV. My son loves all things giant shark so, what can you do.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw Meg 2 last night and wow. The first half was pretty good and felt like the movie was moving at a fast pace. But the second half just got Sharknado level absurd without the charm and just drug on.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
This movie was about as dumb as you would expect for a End of Summer Blockbuster (In that good way for me)

Saw Meg 2 last night and wow. The first half was pretty good and felt like the movie was moving at a fast pace. But the second half just got Sharknado level absurd without the charm and just drug on.

These movies both make a lot of money in China and are also financed by a lot of money from China (if that wasn't obvious from all the Chinese actors and dialog in the movies), and the second half of this movie really showed it. It is an entire tonal shift, to get even more fun, more stupid and more stunts. First half is very deliberate, we are underwater, deep sea terror. Second half we are doing martial arts, sick jet ski tricks, lots of things blowing up, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users