The Meg (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
Entertaining but ultimately a bit disappointing. I can't name a single character from the movie. No awesome one liners, no real tension in the movie either, pretty weird every time stuff started building up to something they would just immediately de-escalate everything.

Pretty awesome to watch Statham vs a giant shark but overall feel mostly sad for kids in the future. I grew up on shit like Die Hard, Predator, RoboCop, Commando, Bloodsport, Aliens, Lethal Weapon, etc in theaters with a lot of American Jingoism, movie stars filling every boys heads with guns and violence and hot women always fucking the good guy but kids today are gonna grow up thinking Ruby Rose can act and the center of the world is China.

6/10, worth a watch with MoviePass (lol) / A-List but not really worth spending real $. Decent in IMAX, special effects were nothing spectacular though. Some great underwater scenes, if you like The Abyss/etc worth a watch just for those scenes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Entertaining but ultimately a bit disappointing. I can't name a single character from the movie. No awesome one liners, no real tension in the movie either, pretty weird every time stuff started building up to something they would just immediately de-escalate everything.

Pretty awesome to watch Statham vs a giant shark but overall feel mostly sad for kids in the future. I grew up on shit like Die Hard, Predator, RoboCop, Commando, Bloodsport, Aliens, Lethal Weapon, etc in theaters with a lot of American Jingoism, movie stars filling every boys heads with guns and violence and hot women always fucking the good guy but kids today are gonna grow up thinking Ruby Rose can act and the center of the world is China.

6/10, worth a watch with MoviePass (lol) / A-List but not really worth spending real $. Decent in IMAX, special effects were nothing spectacular though. Some great underwater scenes, if you like The Abyss/etc worth a watch just for those scenes.

Sadly, America has been on the route of pussyfication since Obama got elected in 2008 and it gave way to mass SJW acts which only fell down like dominoes until our current God Emperor is trying to change all of that.

Here is a perfect example of fucking greatness. We must take culture back from what it is now, a steaming pile of SJW, Identity politic bitches. I know for a fact that Hollywood does not give a shit about any thing except making money and if that includes Jesse Venture calling a bunch of dudes faggots for not taking a pinch of chew, then explaining to them it will make em a sexual Tyrannosaurus, Hollywood will do it!

They don't give a fuck about anybody but themselves and their money, just like anybody else should.

• 2Salty
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Good popcorn flick.

Corny, with some eye-rolling moments, but the characters were entertaining and likable.

Szlia

Sadly, America has been on the route of pussyfication since Obama got elected in 2008 and it gave way to mass SJW acts which only fell down like dominoes until our current God Emperor is trying to change all of that.
I think you have your timing all wrong with that one. There is a classic book about this question wrote in the early '90s called Hard Bodies: Hollywood Masculinity in the Reagan Era that ends with hints as to how things were already changing in the '90s. Before you throw Clinton at me, note that the Bush Jr era Hollywood action heroes were Jason Bourne, Jack Sparrow or Ethan Hunt, characters that are about ambiguity, polymorphism, adaptation, etc. More than a republicans vs democrats thing, the theory is that the hyper-virilisation of the '80s american action heroes was a response to the castrating experience of the Vietnam war.

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Story was predictably wtf, but obviously Statham v. a 90 foot shark isn't the worst thing to watch.

Also the gore toning down and a good bit of the movie was OBVIOUSLY directed at making that money in China market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
This was okay to just get out of the heat and turn our brains off for 2 hours. My favorite part was the trailer for Overlord though. C'mon Nazi occult movie!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I was expecting a third one to pop out at the end so they could have a Meg 2. Or another giant squid lol

spronk

FPS noob
there was no post credits scene, right? The final few seconds were definitely weird, it just fades to an ocean with the word FIN and you keep expecting something whacky

the sizing felt all over the place, sometimes the shark felt like it was 25 feet and other times like it was 80 feet but it always felt very inconsistent

i hear the book opens with the time period being set like 70 million years ago and a shark and T-Rex fight, while it would have looked stupid i kinda wish the movie opened that way lol. We definitely need a new cinematic universe that combines Jurassic Park, Fast and the Furious, and The Meg

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
there was no post credits scene, right? The final few seconds were definitely weird, it just fades to an ocean with the word FIN and you keep expecting something whacky

the sizing felt all over the place, sometimes the shark felt like it was 25 feet and other times like it was 80 feet but it always felt very inconsistent

i hear the book opens with the time period being set like 70 million years ago and a shark and T-Rex fight, while it would have looked stupid i kinda wish the movie opened that way lol. We definitely need a new cinematic universe that combines Jurassic Park, Fast and the Furious, and The Meg
Friend was convinced the movie was a Godzilla tie in, Convinced.

Had to explain to her it was different movie companies and an already established book series and Godzilla would eat a giant shark like a sardine.

She still was expecting Godzilla at the end.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't seen this, and probably won't until video, but holy shit, now that I hear this is a book, I could swear I read it years ago. I mean, I don't remember a fucking thing about it, but I thought it sounded familiar. I'm betting the book was at least mildly entertaining if I finished it.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I haven't seen this, and probably won't until video, but holy shit, now that I hear this is a book, I could swear I read it years ago. I mean, I don't remember a fucking thing about it, but I thought it sounded familiar. I'm betting the book was at least mildly entertaining if I finished it.

It was and I felt the same way. It came out in 1997 so I bet I read it in high school and it was like tasty popcorn; good at the time but not memorable.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

The book version was called The Abyss.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
My viewing group laughed our asses off through most of this movie. The dialogue was fucking terrible throughout and for some reason every time the meg's fin would pop out of the water we just lost it. Having said that, the theater was probably 90% full and people actually clapped at the end of it. It was totally worth burning one of my AMC A-list's for this week, if only for the giggles we had.

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
My viewing group laughed our asses off through most of this movie. The dialogue was fucking terrible throughout and for some reason every time the meg's fin would pop out of the water we just lost it. Having said that, the theater was probably 90% full and people actually clapped at the end of it. It was totally worth burning one of my AMC A-list's for this week, if only for the giggles we had.
Ya that fin was hilarious.

Were you high? Be honest.

Hosix

All labs matter!
As others have said...a solid popcorn flick. My kids, 9 & 11, enjoyed it. Some of it was predictable but i could live with it. A few spots got my kids to jump which was very cool. Prolly 6.5 our of 10.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Just came back from seeing it.

As others have said it was a enjoyable dumb movie. 7/10

I said earlier in this thread when the first trailers came out that this looked like a bigger budget version of an Asylum film. It felt like it too, with huge logic problems with character actions and choices.

The little Chinese girl was the best actor in the film.