The Netflix Thread

Caliane

wtf this is kinda out of nowhere

Don't Look Up, coming to theaters Dec 10th and Netflix Dec 24th. Asteroid is gonna hit the earth, its Armageddon 2021? A comedy?

insane cast

Leonardo Di Caprio
Jennifer Lawrence
Jonah Hill
Meryl Streep

i have a feeling though this is a "well fuck, this movie sucks. lets sell it to netflix, they'll buy anything" deal

Thor also said on twitter he is filming Extraction 2 starting next week

no, this is Adam McKay, directing.

The other guys, Vice, The big short, Ant-man, Talladega nights, etc.

Expect this to be SUPER woke though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone watched Squid Games? Some korean/Japanese Asian series that came out here today. Looks weird but could be cool I guess.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Anyone watched Squid Games? Some korean/Japanese Asian series that came out here today. Looks weird but could be cool I guess.

i haven't watched yet but everyone who i trust who has watched has said its great. Kind of a mix of battle royale, Fall Guys and stuff like Alice in Borderlands. Another great show to watch if you like Squid Games.

Another movie a friend recommended in the same vein is on Netflix, Animal World I've never heard of it but it starts michael douglas, came out like 3 years ago

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

wtf this is kinda out of nowhere

Don't Look Up, coming to theaters Dec 10th and Netflix Dec 24th. Asteroid is gonna hit the earth, its Armageddon 2021? A comedy?

insane cast

Leonardo Di Caprio
Jennifer Lawrence
Jonah Hill
Meryl Streep

i have a feeling though this is a "well fuck, this movie sucks. lets sell it to netflix, they'll buy anything" deal

Thor also said on twitter he is filming Extraction 2 starting next week
For a time I was on the list to watch Netflix-made shows early and give my opinion on them. Unfortunately that seems to have gone away because I didn't watch enough of them in a set period of time, mainly because most of them were completely outside my areas of interest, or because their emails kept going to spam and I wouldn't see them in the couple of days I had to watch the shit.

There may be some slight spoilers below, but a lot of it is in the trailer or can be inferred from it.

Anyway, I watched this one because of the cast that you mentioned. I liked it, but there were clear jabs at various political figures and their followers, and people in general not wanting to accept "science." I honestly don't know if the movie was initially made to be an allegory for covid, but it definitely came across that way, with one side refusing to listen to the scientists (hence the "Don't Look Up" phrase...if you don't look up, maybe the asteroid isn't really going to hit us). Except, they reversed it from covid. In the movie, the govt is the one wanting everyone to ignore what is happening to avoid panic (and other things), whereas with covid you have the govt telling us we have to panic. Furthermore, they clearly showed the "deplorables" as the don't look up people, trusting in the govt, whereas the Hollywood elite (Ariana Grande specifically) are the ones trying to get the truth out there about how the govt is misleading us. Completely the opposite of covid.

That's why I'm not sure which side is supposed to be lampooned here. Meryl Streep could be construed as a Trump parody, but she's a woman, which usually means she can never do anything wrong, is strong and fierce and independent, etc. Her voters are clearly meant to parody Trump supporters, but again, she's a woman and I thought deplorables were all sexist/racist white males, and they are all rabid "I believe what the govt is telling me" types, which is clearly not the stance of most Trump supporters. So again, I honestly don't know if the director/writers are just fucking dumb and don't realize that the side they want to look stupid actually has the stance that Hollywood does in regard to covid, or if they are way more clever than I give them credit for.

To be fair, I still actually kind of liked the movie. I disliked Jennifer Lawrence's casting as the spunky astro-something student, and her character in general, but that's almost a given. Leo was great I thought. Streep can act, clearly, but I hated her character (which was the point). Jonah Hill was actually pretty fucking funny at times. Oh, and there is a Space-X/Elon Musk parody as well that was both annoying and somewhat funny at the same time. The ending of the movie was really good, I felt. Not counting the second ending, which lacked all the CGI when I watched it so I had to imagine what happened.

Overall, I'd give it a watch, but it is pretty "woke"...I'm just not sure if it is mocking wokeness or not by flipping sides. I mean fuck, both leads are white!

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
i haven't watched yet but everyone who i trust who has watched has said its great. Kind of a mix of battle royale, Fall Guys and stuff like Alice in Borderlands. Another great show to watch if you like Squid Games.

Another movie a friend recommended in the same vein is on Netflix, Animal World I've never heard of it but it starts michael douglas, came out like 3 years ago

I watched Animal World and I cannot recall much of it aside from guys trapped gambling on a boat due to some bullshit debt scheme. Don't even remember the ending. So I guess I was not impressed.

Says a little something that I KNOW I watched the whole thing, at least, but was not memorable.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Season 4 out today. Still the best thing Netflix has ever done.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Cringe

OneofOne

Wife and I finished Midnight Mass. Hate to say it, but it kinda feels like a waste of time. Slow burn that felt like it was leading up to something good, even if it was fairly predictable (only 1 really outta nowhere surprise, everything else was telegraphed 3+ episodes out), but kinda fizzled out at the end. Also, that Muslim guilt shit with Ravi, er the Sheriff, was par for the course with Netflix. Completely unneeded and added literally nothing to the story. Had they just kept it to the not-so-subtle comments from the rest of the characters, they'd have made their point far better.

So we started Squid Games, got through ep2 so far. Like Midnight Mass, feels like it has a lot of promise, even if it's super depressing. I realize that's the point with these characters, otherwise what is their motivation, but damn. I do like #1 and the embezzler so far, and they got good dubbers for both. I have relatively little experience with Korean films so interested in seeing what happens.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Season 4 out today. Still the best thing Netflix has ever done.

I'm two episodes in and so far it's not good. It's basically written to introduce him to children. Hopefully we will get an actual fight soon, not an imaginary fight against a bug.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm two episodes in and so far it's not good. It's basically written to introduce him to children. Hopefully we will get an actual fight soon, not an imaginary fight against a bug.

They spend up a lot of time building up the Oliver fight, but the payoff is great.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

thats not the OG Elvira, right?
Yes, but it has nothing to with her being an/the iconic Horror Host;

The Queer Queen of Halloween is coming to Netflix this October!

Elvira, real name Cassandra Peterson, recently came out and revealed that she has been in a relationship with a woman, Teresa “T” Wierson, for 19 years. She wrote about the relationship in her new book, Yours Cruelly, Elvira. “For the first time in my life I’m with someone who makes me feel safe, blessed, and truly loved,” she wrote.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

She looks damn good but she's 70 years old. I cannot imagine how many pounds of makeup she's wearing, and how many surgeries she's had. Also, what with the slurring? Sounds like her dentures aren't fixed correctly.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
no way do not want GIF by CBC

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am on Ep 3 of Squid Games - not bad but a little too much on the background stories. I know they have to set the groundwork and get you invested, but it kind of grinds you down a little too much. Typical Korean stuff though, and they don't always end on a high note so could be decent when it is all said and done.

My 9 year old knows at least a little of what Squid Games is because it is all over Roblox at the moment apparently. So I told him I would watch it to see what it was all about.

Also, I just got around to start watching The Midnight Sky. I knew the tweeeest so I was just looking for something mildy entertaining for a bit. The movie lost me when the shelter they were in just happened to sink in the middle of the frozen wastes the one night they spent in it, so that they lost all their shit. I understand the need for the hero's struggle and journey but come the fuck on, enough already. Way too much, and ruined it for me completely.

Late Edit - Oof Marbles episode got me right in the feels.

Last edited: