The Netflix Thread

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Women have shitty taste, nothing new.
To elaborate: I sorta fucked up and put my office space in our 'home theater room' where the new ultra-short throw projector is now setup, and the lady is constantly in there watching TV. Whatever, it allows me to research & game and not be totally disconnected.

She watches this show in the background, and it's just, not good. I think women, and humans in general are easily entertained (example: all the super hero shit), but this show even lacks that manufactured drama, dopamine kick that say Grey's Anatomy offers. Grey's Anatomy is still bad, and devoid of any actual substance, but they know how to shamelessly manufacture that overtly emotional & dramatic "moment" - this show doesn't even do that. It's really bad. Plus, every single character is seemingly as diverse as humanely possible. Not only is the next girl on screen Indian, she might be a specific subgroup/from a real specific region of India as the previous girl was. It's insanely distracting lol. Even the black ladies in this show look very mutty. It's a weird show. Historical dramas can "take you to a different time", I get that allure, but this shows casting is so rough that it completely takes you out of any intriguing environment.

Modern entertainment is so gay, but it's interesting, occasionally, see this stuff she watches in the background - it's so incredibly manufactured.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still subbed to all the services that I watch, but I am seriously considering dropping a few and basically rotating between them every few months and binge watching what they released while I wasn't subbed.

For one thing there are so many of them now, and second some subscription are getting expensive with raise in prices all the time.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only way I justify the price is they can be shared with the entire family.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Surprisingly entertaining. Kind of a big mash up of Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns/Justice Lords? Batman goes too far and forms a planetary army to wipe out the...gays? It's pretty insane.

Mega cheesy/low budget-ey in the same kind of way as Kung Fury and Blood Machines etc, but some of the alternative animation stuff is really well done.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

netflix loses 200k-1.4m subs (depending on if you count Russia), and predicts even more losses next quarter. Stock is down over 25% after hours, shaving billions.

I cancelled my sub as well but because I've been accumulating netflix gift card (xmas gifts) for years I can't "cancel" until my wallet balance runs out in 18 months lol. I'll sub 1-2 months a year and unsub 10 months, almost everything new on netflix is utter shit anyways

I legit would never have guessed 5 years ago the top streaming services would be HBO Max, Disney+, and Apple TV. I suspect at least 2 of those will also start seeing sub decreases in the next few years.

• 1Like

Animosity

There’s just too many streaming services now. Every network is starting their own so Netflix is losing popular titles left and right. And their original programming hasn’t been good and has been very sparse lately. Not surprised by this. Disney doing 3 services for less than Netflix is too good of a deal.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

netflix loses 200k-1.4m subs (depending on if you count Russia), and predicts even more losses next quarter. Stock is down over 25% after hours, shaving billions.

I cancelled my sub as well but because I've been accumulating netflix gift card (xmas gifts) for years I can't "cancel" until my wallet balance runs out in 18 months lol. I'll sub 1-2 months a year and unsub 10 months, almost everything new on netflix is utter shit anyways

I legit would never have guessed 5 years ago the top streaming services would be HBO Max, Disney+, and Apple TV. I suspect at least 2 of those will also start seeing sub decreases in the next few years.
HBO and DIS own enormous catalogs of content. AAPL is.. fuck it's AAPL.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There’s just too many streaming services now. Every network is starting their own so Netflix is losing popular titles left and right. And their original programming hasn’t been good and has been very sparse lately. Not surprised by this. Disney doing 3 services for less than Netflix is too good of a deal.
But NFLX has an enormous amount of Bollywood titles

• 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'd bet it's Apple or Disney, based on current trends, possibly both. Apple due to lack of/poor content and Disney with all the controversy surrounding their love of child fuckers. The only thing keeping Disney "in the game" is that their service is such a "deal".

HBO Max has been killing it, IMO. Tons of content with WB attached, solid originals, big theatre releases shortly after their premiere dates, etc. Plus, their interface is pretty solid as well, considering all of them outside of Netflix suck dogshit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Apple has amazing content. I don’t think I’ve seen one bad show they’ve done. They just have too small of a library right now. And their only acclaimed show so far is Ted Lasso.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, the bump reminded me to cancel Netflix now that I'm caught up on Better Call Saul. I definitely do the rotation between streaming services, although Disney usually does a good job of keeping new Marvel/Star Wars shows coming in and HBO Max generally has enough content to keep me subscribed, too. I've never subscribed to Apple TV, so that would be my choice to go away. Prime would be gone if it wasn't tied to free shipping.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And sadly they're starting to combine and we'll end up with cable packages again.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
apple makes enough profit in a single day to pay for the annual Apple TV+ content budget, the service is really just a rounding error for them. Same for amazon.

I don't see idiot zoomers stopping buying their annual $1k Apple phones or buying worthless garbage online anytime soon so those two services are probably fairly safe.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

There was some estimate in their report that up to half of their paying base are sharing their accounts with family or friends. Just wait till they start cracking down on that...

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
nah I've definitely noticed a serious drop in Netflix content quality, mixed with the giant sucking of some of the best franchises off the platform onto a million fractured streaming services. Seinfeld, Office, old sci fi shows, old movies, tons of anime used to be the backbone but now Amazon has its own little catalog including all Bond movies, HBO Max has clawed back most stuff, Disney clawed back its library, then you got all the Paramount+/Peacock/Hulu/etc bullshit.

Now I look at the new tab every week and 99% is stuff I want to mark as "do not ever show this to me again", whereas before about 40% used to be added to my playlist. HBO Max has taken back the crown of "well, this sorta looks interesting at least" - Minx, Lakers show, Tokyo Vice, etc. I can't even think about the last new netflix show I wanted to watch a trailer for.

and the stock is reflecting this loss of subs too, NFLX has lost almost all its pandemic growth bump over the past 2 years and earnings are tonight I think, I'd expect another massacre.

With Netflix I'm down to a few original anime and the Korean shit as stuff I'm at least willing to watch a few episodes. They went so far towards what women want to watch (since they binge more and are less selective) that they just don't produce much content I'm interested in. Not only does binging not help but these shorter seasons exacerbate the speed at which you finish. It's nice to get 8 episodes of Witcher but how fast do you think I will blow through it? A weekend is the answer. I see them changing their position on advertising and releasing all content at once sometime in the near future.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
With Netflix I'm down to a few original anime and the Korean shit as stuff I'm at least willing to watch a few episodes. They went so far towards what women want to watch (since they binge more and are less selective) that they just don't produce much content I'm interested in. Not only does binging not help but these shorter seasons exacerbate the speed at which you finish. It's nice to get 8 episodes of Witcher but how fast do you think I will blow through it? A weekend is the answer. I see them changing their position on advertising and releasing all content at once sometime in the near future.
If you look at things like Old Enough, the Japanese show featuring toddlers running errands, it shows there is clearly a path and a want for this type of family oriented programming. Anything they tend to produce tends to shit on the wholesome family stuff. They are causing their own issues. The templates are on Netflix for all types of programs and movies that would be popular but unfortunately for them they can't see the forest through the trees. Basically they are going to be a smaller and smaller streaming service unless they wake up in a way Blockbuster didn't.

• 3Like