The Netflix Thread

Goatface

looked up Restaurant: Impossible stats, reportedly 2011-2016 helped 140 places, 100 had closed by 2018. the 2nd run 2019-, by 2021 helped 29 with 7 closed.

1651894310629.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or is every single Netflix original dystopian, sad, depressing, or scary?

They literally don't make movies about happy/for people. I can't remember a single encouraging Netflix film.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or is every single Netflix original dystopian, sad, depressing, or scary?

They literally don't make movies about happy/for people. I can't remember a single encouraging Netflix film.
Hallmark channel is all happy you should try that.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's almost like shit has to be dumbed down for US audiences, why do you think that is?
a lot of that has to do with the US networks throwing money at all their reality shows for mass viewing numbers. in the UK there is no budget at their networks. all your shows are cheap looking. thats not a knock, its just what it is. no money to do these miraculous renovations or restorations. most of it is dialogue and cheap materials to spit polish something and make it better for little to no money. i prefer that over glitz and glamour. the big corporate we have here see those shows getting more views by Americans than their shit shows and think if they just bring those shows here they can get the same results but American style. thats what they do and when they get a Kitchen Nightmares or Top Gear or Wheeler Dealers or whatever and they add all their reality show cookie cutter bullshit in it so it becomes stupid. they have no idea what made the show a hit in the UK, they just keep running the same playbook in hopes that it pays off. if anyone is stupid, its them not americans.

you have to be stupid to think Brits prefer TV shows that look like they spent 100 pounds to produce them. they prefer what americans prefer, shows that have quality content to them. again this is why Youtube has destroyed reality TV, all those guys are working with very little budget and providing superior content. i rather watch some slob struggling in his garage to restore a beat up truck he found at the junkyard to get it running again with just simple tools than a full garage setup TV show where everything is on hand to restore the vehicle like new in just a few days with an almost unlimited budget.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
.....than a full garage setup TV show where everything is on hand to restore the vehicle like new in just a few days with an almost unlimited budget.
Yeah I always found that doumb as hell. Boxes and boxes of brand new parts, brand new lift, brand new tools, even obscure ones that no one ever owns, rather rents in your home garage. Then the send the car out for "body work and paint" and then it comes back with the $20k paint job like brand fucking new....Its unrealistic as hell. They whip out the name brand 22" wheels and tires worth $10k, slap them on like its no thing....

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There's an infinite gap between 1 and all. So, I guess you can't recall a single happy movie either?
I just saw one on a whim. Some high school kid that wanted to be a drummer or some shit, hooked up with his rocker buddy guitarist and played in the battle of bands at school. They are there its jut that if you watch dystopian grim shit all the time its what they will serve you up on a platter all the time.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
a lot of that has to do with the US networks throwing money at all their reality shows for mass viewing numbers. in the UK there is no budget at their networks. all your shows are cheap looking. thats not a knock, its just what it is. no money to do these miraculous renovations or restorations. most of it is dialogue and cheap materials to spit polish something and make it better for little to no money. i prefer that over glitz and glamour. the big corporate we have here see those shows getting more views by Americans than their shit shows and think if they just bring those shows here they can get the same results but American style. thats what they do and when they get a Kitchen Nightmares or Top Gear or Wheeler Dealers or whatever and they add all their reality show cookie cutter bullshit in it so it becomes stupid. they have no idea what made the show a hit in the UK, they just keep running the same playbook in hopes that it pays off. if anyone is stupid, its them not americans.

you have to be stupid to think Brits prefer TV shows that look like they spent 100 pounds to produce them. they prefer what americans prefer, shows that have quality content to them. again this is why Youtube has destroyed reality TV, all those guys are working with very little budget and providing superior content. i rather watch some slob struggling in his garage to restore a beat up truck he found at the junkyard to get it running again with just simple tools than a full garage setup TV show where everything is on hand to restore the vehicle like new in just a few days with an almost unlimited budget.

You're speaking to someone who has never paid for a TV license and has exclusively downloaded US series for 20+ years

However, I'm the exception - the most watched shows by audience are British series, example Line of Duty. Plus stuff like Faulty Towers and Only Fools and Horses are considered the all time greats

UK Office had to be dumbed down and made more optimistic, this is a fact

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I always found that doumb as hell. Boxes and boxes of brand new parts, brand new lift, brand new tools, even obscure ones that no one ever owns, rather rents in your home garage. Then the send the car out for "body work and paint" and then it comes back with the $20k paint job like brand fucking new....Its unrealistic as hell. They whip out the name brand 22" wheels and tires worth $10k, slap them on like its no thing....
its totally unrelatable bullshit for anyone actually seriously interested in these subjects. these youtube videos help me be more DIY on things at home, most of all it gives me confidence that i can fix something. try watching these network shows and it doesnt help at all.

youtuber DIY
something broken
find out whats wrong
figure out how you can best afford to fix x thing
get what mats you need most to fix that thing
one guy fixes that thing
go on to the next

Network DIY
something is broken
find out whats wrong or rather what they think is wrong
lots of drama with wife, friends employees
decide everything needs to be replaced
everything shows up the next day
entire crew of eccentric characters working on fitting brand new stuff to "fix" that thing
brand new thing is blindfold revealed at end to owners who are shocked and brought to tears at how wonderful the work is by that weekend
next week same thing

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

more dramas then comedy.. and even those comedies are all pretty dark.

"Adult animation". yep all pretty dark.

not sure on any of the "anime". the ones I know, I would not call happy or very life affirming.

a big chunk of kids and family. I don't know anything about basically any of those.
hilda is quite good.. but, the tone is def more somber.

so yeah. I thought maybe Christmas Chronicles.. but while exclusive to Netflix, was not produced by them.

• 1WTF

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah mom and pop restaurants, I mean who the fuck goes to them unless its like the only place in your shitty little town in BFE. Why risk your hard earned dollars?
Something I learned when I moved to Long Island. They are insanely anti-chain restaurant up here. It's crazy. Some places don't go for the chains and will only support the mom and pops eateries.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Something I learned when I moved to Long Island. They are insanely anti-chain restaurant up here. It's crazy. Some places don't go for the chains and will only support the mom and pops eateries.
The only people that I knew IRL that would constantly eat at chain places had terrible taste in food and generally preferred buffets. I always attributed it to them being old and having degraded sense of taste.

Sure, you might get burned by going to a crap mom & pop a few times, but far more often than not, you will find superior tasting food.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
"F is for Family" is a very positive and uplifting show. You should check it out.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Sure, you might get burned by going to a crap mom & pop a few times, but far more often than not, you will find superior tasting food.

That's a big part of it.

Do you want something where you know exactly what you're getting? Or roll the dice and maybe get something great and maybe get something shitty?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we have the most diners in the US. old timey diners too. other areas its mostly the franchises or not much else.

• 1Like

Burns

That's a big part of it.

Do you want something where you know exactly what you're getting? Or roll the dice and maybe get something great and maybe get something shitty?
I would rather cook it myself, than go to a chain restaurant and it's not like they aren't immune from shitty staff fucking up orders.

It's real easy to convert to eating mostly from superlative mom & pop places and not having any higher chance of getting something you don't like. Lets say your family does a fine dinning night, once a week. So, one week out of the month, you go to a new place. If you want a better chance of getting good food, do a little research online during the week. Eventually, you will have a bunch of options instead of just crappy factory produced then frozen chain food.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That's a big part of it.

That's one reason I like mom and pop places. You've eaten the same crap at chain restaurants for years. Why not try something new? Quality has also degraded a lot at chain places the past few years. You're almost guaranteed to get crap at a lot of them.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

other areas its mostly the franchises or not much else.
Untrue, if a city has enough business for someone to open a chain restaurant, then they will have a bunch of mom and pop places too. America loves to eat out, and restaurants are everywhere.

When I was in the Midwest, it was the other way around. A town had to be over something like 50,000 people to have a chance at a chain restaurant, whereas all the little farm towns had at least 1 mom and pop, and the little 10,000ish burgs had 5+.

I dont have near as much travel time in the Texas countryside to make a call, but I imagine it is much the same. The big cities are all going to have tens of thousands of mom and pop places, so its super easy to find good ones.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Untrue, if a city has enough business for someone to open a chain restaurant, then they will have a bunch of mom and pop places too. America loves to eat out, and restaurants are everywhere.

When I was in the Midwest, it was the other way around. A town had to be over something like 50,000 people to have a chance at a chain restaurant, whereas all the little farm towns had at least 1 mom and pop, and the little 10,000ish burgs had 5+.

I dont have near as much travel time in the Texas countryside to make a call, but I imagine it is much the same. The big cities are all going to have tens of thousands of mom and pop places, so its super easy to find good ones.

Not always.

Town I grew up in had around 10,000, but a lot of people driving through. The chains were the only things that made it more than a few months