The Netflix Thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The chains were the only things that made it more than a few months
This is something that always amazes me. The rotation of restaurants into the same space over and over. Everyone thinks their place will be the one to break the chain of failure. It's such a tough market to begin with with the low margins.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not always.

Town I grew up in had around 10,000, but a lot of people driving through. The chains were the only things that made it more than a few months
I could see that, if you live on a major highway, that most out-of-towners would only stop at a place they recognize, but it's surprising there weren't enough locals supporting a hole in the wall place, or three.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Google maps is a gem for finding mom and pops places to eat. Let them pop up around you and then read the reviews and see the menu and food pics. Whenever we are in Manhattan that is how we find new places to eat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

more dramas then comedy.. and even those comedies are all pretty dark.

"Adult animation". yep all pretty dark.

not sure on any of the "anime". the ones I know, I would not call happy or very life affirming.

a big chunk of kids and family. I don't know anything about basically any of those.
hilda is quite good.. but, the tone is def more somber.

so yeah. I thought maybe Christmas Chronicles.. but while exclusive to Netflix, was not produced by them.

So, I guess I'm correct in my completely anecdotal observation? Everything Netflix puts out is dark af?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah mom and pop restaurants, I mean who the fuck goes to them unless its like the only place in your shitty little town in BFE. Why risk your hard earned dollars?
They are generally the best places to eat. Sure, there are lots of shit ones, but all the amazing places I've eaten at were not chains.

Fucker

Log Wizard
That's one reason I like mom and pop places. You've eaten the same crap at chain restaurants for years. Why not try something new? Quality has also degraded a lot at chain places the past few years. You're almost guaranteed to get crap at a lot of them.
The only downside right now in my neck of the woods is the severe shortage of workers. 3 really good restaurants called it quits in the last 6 months. And if they do find someone to hire, chances are high they are complete muppets.

A few other restaurants are on half days part of the week or only open 4-5 days.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Google maps is a gem for finding mom and pops places to eat. Let them pop up around you and then read the reviews and see the menu and food pics. Whenever we are in Manhattan that is how we find new places to eat.
if you want ethnic food, the best is to get yelp reviews, but only trust the reviews of that ethnic, if cody is giving the lowdown on indian... skip

• 2Worf

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Sometimes I dream of mom and pop pizza places that no longer exist. One was certainly a mafia kitchen; amazing food.
Hungry Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

So, I guess I'm correct in my completely anecdotal observation? Everything Netflix puts out is dark af?
seems that way. although, I would say its not just netflix. l think its just about all media. games, other streaming, movies, etc as well. the vast majority of media these days is kindof depressing.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
seems that way. although, I would say its not just netflix. l think its just about all media. games, other streaming, movies, etc as well. the vast majority of media these days is kindof depressing.

I went to a pageant that my neice was in this week and the question was, "What do you think is the number one problem facing high schoolers today?". Every single contestant said it was either depression, self-harm, etc.

Like where do kids even go to get some wholesome media? Even the new cartoons are creepy af. Gravity Falls is no longer the exception, but the rule.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
15 years ago you could make that show work on the CW (or HBO for tits). But in 2022 who would pay Netflix to watch that?

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've mentioned that I am part of the preview club on Netflix, so I get to watch shit months early and give my opinion. Last week was a movie with Jessica Alba called Trigger Warning. Not that kind of trigger warning, the gun kind. However, it should have been the other kind, because this movie SUCKS and triggered the fuck out of me. Granted, she's still damn good looking for 50'ish or however old she is. They even give a BOLO for her as a "hispanic woman in her 30s" so I guess that's what we're supposed to believe. She's apparently special forces, but uses terms like "they have a machine gun" to refer to an assault rifle, and calls an RPG a missile.

I won't bother going into detail of all the absolutely stupid things that happen in this movie, but just avoid at all costs unless you absolutely need to see Alba fully clothed and not sexy at all. Well, she's naturally pretty fucking sexy fully clothed, but you get my point. This is not a T&A movie. I honestly have no idea why this movie needed to be made, nor why she would take it. There have to be better things she could have picked.

As an aside, even though it is a TV show I'll mention it here: got to watch the first episode (well, the 10 minutes I could stomach) of a new series they are going to push soon called Dance Monsters. Fatties/uggos get to dance like no one is watching because the judges don't see them, they see a CGI monster avatar instead (think Monster's Inc fluffy shit, not actual scary shit). It is exactly as horrible as you think it is. One of the judges is LeLe Pons, so that should set the bar for shitty for you. The other two are black dudes I have no idea who they are. No white dudes to be seen anywhere, of course. The hostess chick is pretty hot, but I couldn't tell you who the fuck she is, and it is retarded because once you think about it she is literally standing there on an empty stage and pretending to talk to the monster that isn't really there and she can't see. I also have no idea what the judges and audience are looking at, since the dancer is backstage and they aren't projecting it real time like a hologram or something. I'm assuming they are looking at a monitor, but that's now how the show presents it, they are always looking at the stage. Not to mention, the backup dancers are dancing by themselves too, and just hoping the contestant is keeping up with them.

The dumbest part about it is that these people are supposed to be anonymous, right? But at times we see them (faces blurred) in their CGI suits, so you can see that one is a fat black woman, for example. Furthermore, since they can't just have these people be complete unknowns I guess, they show us pics and videos of them in real life, just with faces covered by their monster face. So for example I get to see that one of the chicks used to be a dancer/cheerleader for a professional sports team, and I can see that she at least used to have a smoking body and blonde hair. If you want it to be truly impartial and anonymous, never show us backstage or RL pics, blurred or otherwise. On top of that, by doing the stupid monster bullshit you'll have people that just like a particular avatar more than others and not give a shit about the dancing.

I'll admit, I used to watch So You Think You Can Dance before it turned into shit. I enjoyed it, and they had some mega hotties on there, and they were ALWAYS in super shape, so there was eye candy to be had. They were also typically phenomenal dancers, even if I often hated the genres. These aren't great dancers, and you don't get any cheesecake, so what's the point?

Not that any of you would actually turn this show on, but in case a wife/girlfriend tries, you'll know what to expect.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I've mentioned that I am part of the preview club on Netflix, so I get to watch shit months early and give my opinion. Last week was a movie with Jessica Alba called Trigger Warning. Not that kind of trigger warning, the gun kind. However, it should have been the other kind, because this movie SUCKS and triggered the fuck out of me. Granted, she's still damn good looking for 50'ish or however old she is. They even give a BOLO for her as a "hispanic woman in her 30s" so I guess that's what we're supposed to believe. She's apparently special forces, but uses terms like "they have a machine gun" to refer to an assault rifle, and calls an RPG a missile.

I won't bother going into detail of all the absolutely stupid things that happen in this movie, but just avoid at all costs unless you absolutely need to see Alba fully clothed and not sexy at all. Well, she's naturally pretty fucking sexy fully clothed, but you get my point. This is not a T&A movie. I honestly have no idea why this movie needed to be made, nor why she would take it. There have to be better things she could have picked.

As an aside, even though it is a TV show I'll mention it here: got to watch the first episode (well, the 10 minutes I could stomach) of a new series they are going to push soon called Dance Monsters. Fatties/uggos get to dance like no one is watching because the judges don't see them, they see a CGI monster avatar instead (think Monster's Inc fluffy shit, not actual scary shit). It is exactly as horrible as you think it is. One of the judges is LeLe Pons, so that should set the bar for shitty for you. The other two are black dudes I have no idea who they are. No white dudes to be seen anywhere, of course. The hostess chick is pretty hot, but I couldn't tell you who the fuck she is, and it is retarded because once you think about it she is literally standing there on an empty stage and pretending to talk to the monster that isn't really there and she can't see. I also have no idea what the judges and audience are looking at, since the dancer is backstage and they aren't projecting it real time like a hologram or something. I'm assuming they are looking at a monitor, but that's now how the show presents it, they are always looking at the stage. Not to mention, the backup dancers are dancing by themselves too, and just hoping the contestant is keeping up with them.

The dumbest part about it is that these people are supposed to be anonymous, right? But at times we see them (faces blurred) in their CGI suits, so you can see that one is a fat black woman, for example. Furthermore, since they can't just have these people be complete unknowns I guess, they show us pics and videos of them in real life, just with faces covered by their monster face. So for example I get to see that one of the chicks used to be a dancer/cheerleader for a professional sports team, and I can see that she at least used to have a smoking body and blonde hair. If you want it to be truly impartial and anonymous, never show us backstage or RL pics, blurred or otherwise. On top of that, by doing the stupid monster bullshit you'll have people that just like a particular avatar more than others and not give a shit about the dancing.

I'll admit, I used to watch So You Think You Can Dance before it turned into shit. I enjoyed it, and they had some mega hotties on there, and they were ALWAYS in super shape, so there was eye candy to be had. They were also typically phenomenal dancers, even if I often hated the genres. These aren't great dancers, and you don't get any cheesecake, so what's the point?

Not that any of you would actually turn this show on, but in case a wife/girlfriend tries, you'll know what to expect.

Stopped reading when your first complaint was how ridiculous it was for them to refer to a 41 year old Jessica Alba "as in her 30s"

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
what kind of psycho refers to their own age as point 5?

Someone who is 40 years and 6 months old, and 6 months away from 41? Someone who is 0.56 years younger than a 41 year old actress?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like