The Netflix Thread

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
It more read like a blame game where the one person kicked out is never at fault. They've had some good shows but it's been really uneven the entire time Netflix has made their own content. For every Orange is the New Black there is a Lilyhammer. Woketopia has been a problem for a long time there as well. At no point do I think that making their content creators feel loved and safe resulted in good TV. If Netflix was built on Holland's taste, then I guess I'll lay Cuties on her doorstep. I'm glad they are having issues.
Lilyhammer was great

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FRbl5OgXwAAmdQ0

this should turn things around for them. re-subbing just to watch

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I noticed their is a lot of bollywood dogshit added to Netflix recently. Them hiring street shitters explains that.
It's been like that for 3-4 years now. If you go to the end of any genre listing, there is always 5-8 Indian movies there. I spent hours downgrading them trying to get the algorithm to stop posting them to me, but Netflix is desperate to pad out their content and so we get every movie from India unfiltered. I wish I liked them even slightly, because there is enough content there for years of watching.

Edit - they did it with South Korean movies a couple of years before that, but with some success since South Korean filmmaking is actually really good and, in some respects, superior to similar products put out by Hollywood on average (SK has very few "blockbusters" though). That SK content has pretty much dried out to a trickle now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
It more read like a blame game where the one person kicked out is never at fault. They've had some good shows but it's been really uneven the entire time Netflix has made their own content. For every Orange is the New Black there is a Lilyhammer. Woketopia has been a problem for a long time there as well. At no point do I think that making their content creators feel loved and safe resulted in good TV. If Netflix was built on Holland's taste, then I guess I'll lay Cuties on her doorstep. I'm glad they are having issues.
We all knew Netflix was going to fail once the Streaming Wars began. Their business model was basically being there when the brick and mortar rental stores failed and studios/distributors needed a fast way to continue to get eyeballs. As soon as they got their act together, those studios started making their own services and Netflix started to get thinner and thinner on content. The loss of the Marvel/Star Wars stuff was really the beginning of the end.

Netflix made people hopeful with a few in-studio successes, but the more they release the more people realize they are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. They do not have a good QC program for their creations, as much as a shotgun approach.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
We all knew Netflix was going to fail once the Streaming Wars began. Their business model was basically being there when the brick and mortar rental stores failed and studios/distributors needed a fast way to continue to get eyeballs. As soon as they got their act together, those studios started making their own services and Netflix started to get thinner and thinner on content. The loss of the Marvel/Star Wars stuff was really the beginning of the end.

Netflix made people hopeful with a few in-studio successes, but the more they release the more people realize they are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. They do not have a good QC program for their creations, as much as a shotgun approach.

I completely agree and that was part of my point. That article leaned towards Cindy Holland being an amazing leader who kept Netflix growing and moving forward as the Indian and men fumbled their way into disaster. The reality is that they've always thrown tons of shit at the wall even when Cindy Holland was leading things. She was let go during internal strife and this article was trying to virtue signal for her as the walls start to close in on the people left. She wouldn't have saved them and was part of the problem too. Her latest movie is about an Arabic all-female metal band fighting against the patriarchy. Leads are lesbian lovers of course. Top content!!

As you said, Netflix was going to fail when people started to take their shit back. A lack of quality content was always going to doom therm. Cindy's choice of content was part of that.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
It's been the joke for years that Netflix would green light any shit. I think I recall South Park making a reference to it.

That "works" when you're the big shark in the streaming services pond. As the viewing audience is already there. But now that their strength is greatly dilluted / weakened, you've gotta bring better content to the table.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Their trend of cancelling popular shows after 2 seasons doesnt help either. Unless its something massive like Stranger Things or Ozark, hardly anything gets a third season.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zero corporate liability if your workers are ugly. It's not a scandal it's a personal issue that spilled over into the workplace.

Rick and Morty also had a Netflix episode where Rick preemptively makes Morty hate his own series pitch.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I completely agree and that was part of my point. That article leaned towards Cindy Holland being an amazing leader who kept Netflix growing and moving forward as the Indian and men fumbled their way into disaster. The reality is that they've always thrown tons of shit at the wall even when Cindy Holland was leading things. She was let go during internal strife and this article was trying to virtue signal for her as the walls start to close in on the people left. She wouldn't have saved them and was part of the problem too. Her latest movie is about an Arabic all-female metal band fighting against the patriarchy. Leads are lesbian lovers of course. Top content!!

As you said, Netflix was going to fail when people started to take their shit back. A lack of quality content was always going to doom therm. Cindy's choice of content was part of that.
The article acknowledged that Cindy might have led them to a different kind of failure. There's still a big difference between Holland's hit and miss greenlights and Bajaria's opening up the sewage floodgates.

Would you have expected Queen's Gambit to be a breakout hit based on a single sentence description of it before it aired?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The article acknowledged that Cindy might have led them to a different kind of failure. There's still a big difference between Holland's hit and miss greenlights and Bajaria's opening up the sewage floodgates.

Would you have expected Queen's Gambit to be a breakout hit based on a single sentence description of it before it aired?

No but who would have thought Squid Games would be the same? The difference is that some people thought Netflix wasn't full of sewage until 2020 (really?!) and others thought they've had lots of sewage from the beginning. It's selective reasoning especially with what Holland has done since she left. As Netflix lost everyone else's stuff, they obviously would have to expand and it's wishful thinking to believe Holland would have done better. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Sirens is the next great hit? Maybe we all just needed more of that kind of programing?