The Netflix Thread

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There's a handy website I use for movie and show searches.

JustWatch

But it's here in Australia, our big 2 streaming services are Netflix and the local Stan, there's Amazon also. A simple search for a film will show what service has it, Netflix, Stan, Amazon or the 'pay for digital rental' sites: Google play or iTunes movies.

Also it has a handy feature that lists all newly added movies, what they are and what service has them. So I do a nearly daily check of the new list to see if anything gets my interest.

But worth pointing out: We will sometimes have a different line-up of films on our Netflix than the U.S.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've never seen the "repeat this scene?" popup on PC or Kindle.

That does indeed sound like aids and an idea that never should have made it off of whatever whiteboard it was scrawled on.

Juvarisx

Florida
You can opt out of all their test features, including that repeat scene ones

Account -> Settings -> Test Participation -> Slider to Off

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Just watched Apostle. Slow, creepy and interesting characters. I liked it a lot.

Also watched annihilation. Not much substance, but decent watch for some of the ideas and visuals.

spronk

FPS noob
while trailers can definitely make movies look good, this looks pretty goddamn cool - John Wick x Red

releases Jan 28th on Netflix

The world’s top assassin, Duncan Vizla, aka The Black Kaiser (Mads Mikkelsen), is settling into retirement when his former employer marks him as a liability to the firm. Against his will, he finds himself back in the game going head to head with an army of younger, faster, ruthless killers who will stop at nothing to have him silenced.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I dunno, if you look past the usual trailer stuff, there seems to be some spotty look stuff in it. I love Mads though and his dead-face style of acting fits that sort of character well so I'll check it out if for nothing else than to see him be a badass again.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I am a yuuuuuge fan of Mads, but you can see how flat that blonde acts even in 3 second excerpts in the trailer.

I won't lie, this is probably one of my favorite genre of movies at the moment (retired hitman revenge flick ell o ell) but I expect this to disappoint. Will watch for sure though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That looks almost exactly like The Bourne Identity.... like major ripoff territory.

spronk

FPS noob
its a total mashup of Bourne, Red (old man Bruce Willis) and John Wick but hey Mads is fucking awesome and it looks extremely stylized/cartoony and cool

• 3Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished episode 2 of "You" and shit, it's good.

I think fans of Dexter and 50 Shades of Grey will like it. Perhaps American Psycho.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
You kinda goes off the rails Midway through but it course corrects and ends strong. I struggled through a few episodes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not that we should have to do this. But you can search by categories via the url and it pulls them up the old fashioned way. So use the netflix URL and code for the genre. Shows everything even the hidden stuff that they don't think you would want due to their stupid algorithms.
If you watch via Android TV or something similar, you can't do this, and it fucking sucks. I have a Shield, and 99% of my Netflix viewing is via that.

Hell, it is so bad that several people I work with complained that Netflix "only has about 100 movies." I had to show them how to find more movies, which still isn't very intuitive, particularly if you have no idea what you want to watch and just want some random shit to scroll through. What is the fucking point of paying for the rights to all those movies if you aren't going to make it easy for people to watch them? It would be one thing if they only paid per time it was streamed, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works at all.

I've been a member for well over a decade, and I'm kidding myself if I think there's any foreseeable point in the future where I might cancel, but I hate almost everything about the new look. I complained about the auto-start trailers already, and that's by far my biggest pet peeve, but almost nothing is "good" about the way any of it works right now. I mean for one thing, who thought that taking up my entire screen with 4-5 selections (I'm talking about those full screen high "banners" that started showing up) is a good thing? And their AI is even more aggressive than YouTube's at times. Oh, you just watched a mediocre B movie that was only saved due to Antonio Banderas still being kind of a badass (and TOO SEXY)? How would you like to watch 30 other Antonio Banderas movies then?!?!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you watch via Android TV or something similar, you can't do this, and it fucking sucks. I have a Shield, and 99% of my Netflix viewing is via that.

Hell, it is so bad that several people I work with complained that Netflix "only has about 100 movies." I had to show them how to find more movies, which still isn't very intuitive, particularly if you have no idea what you want to watch and just want some random shit to scroll through. What is the fucking point of paying for the rights to all those movies if you aren't going to make it easy for people to watch them? It would be one thing if they only paid per time it was streamed, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works at all.

I've been a member for well over a decade, and I'm kidding myself if I think there's any foreseeable point in the future where I might cancel, but I hate almost everything about the new look. I complained about the auto-start trailers already, and that's by far my biggest pet peeve, but almost nothing is "good" about the way any of it works right now. I mean for one thing, who thought that taking up my entire screen with 4-5 selections (I'm talking about those full screen high "banners" that started showing up) is a good thing? And their AI is even more aggressive than YouTube's at times. Oh, you just watched a mediocre B movie that was only saved due to Antonio Banderas still being kind of a badass (and TOO SEXY)? How would you like to watch 30 other Antonio Banderas movies then?!?!
I didn't know this was a thing. If I were to search a topic or genre that I usually don't frequent, would the algorithm course correct, at least for that search?

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider

I totally agree with you. Sadly the best way to navigate the algorithms at this point is to "watch" shit movies in genres you like just so that genre populates the lists. I made the mistake of watching a couple bollywood movies and I'm still inundated with them months later. I'm also of the opinion that their searches don't actually bring up a title that isn't "for you" unless you specifically type in the movie name. I'm at the point where I use just watch to see where something is streaming before I even bother loading up a platform.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
trick is just create multiple accts, my own acct is only stuff I really LOVE and then i switch to "fuckU" account when I'm just surfing for random shit. Wife has her own account so I don't get her bullshit rom com stuff. every now and then I just delete and recreate fuckU

of course my LG TV makes it super easy to switch and surf, zero lag or delay whereas I've seen my parents TV is much slower with netflix. my mom has gone down that bollywood route too, she loves those movies with all the singing and romance lol

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Shudder discord does double features every friday night. Voted on by discord. This is for tonight if anyone is interested.

Nightbreed is awesome if you haven't seen it yet you should.

SHUDDER_DISCORD_DF_011119.png

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Shudder discord does double features every friday night. Voted on by discord. This is for tonight if anyone is interested.

Nightbreed is awesome if you haven't seen it yet you should.

View attachment 189315

There’s a directors cut of Nightbreed out there that does adds quite a bit to the movie. Worth checking out.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There’s a directors cut of Nightbreed out there that does adds quite a bit to the movie. Worth checking out.
Yep I have it. It was a Scream Factory release and it's awesome. They did one for Lord of Illusions as well and it's great too. I highly recommend both if you like Clive Barkers stuff.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yep I have it. It was a Scream Factory release and it's awesome. They did one for Lord of Illusions as well and it's great too. I highly recommend both if you like Clive Barkers stuff.

Man I love Lord of Illusions. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users