The Netflix Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So far today on Lazy-as-Fuck Sunday I’ve watched The Conjuring 1, The Conjuring 2, Annabelle, Stephanie, and Oculus. Tried to watch The Babadook but only lasted 20 minutes and had to shut that shit off. Probably give Radius a shot next. Most stuff has been decent but horror movies just aren’t connecting with me. I need a good Lovecraftian decent in to madness slow burn or something.

Best Lovecraftian movie ive seen in years is The Void . It is on Netflix.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Man this gave me a great idea. They discuss why monstervision and the like is no longer a thing. joe bob thinks Ad time is too important to have hosts, etc.

But with mst3k revival. I wonder if Monstervision could flourish on netflix, or amazon video? Have movies that are hosted by someone. have the host present the show, give some info on it. cut to movie. cut back to host, have them making comments, etc. back to movie. add 30min to an hour of host commentary and interaction.

Imagine once a week, netflix adding a Monstervision feature presentation, with Joe Bob presenting some horror movie from Netflix's streaming library.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Caliane Caliane Joe Bob just hosted a 24 hour marathon on Shudder a month or two ago. They put it all up as a series so you can watch it any time. Some good flicks too. Shudder is like 4.99 a month and you can subscribe and watch through Amazon if you want. Worth checking out for a month if you like him.

• 3Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The thing that struck me the most when watching Radius was that I really, really wished that they hadn't told me what was going on in the description/trailer for the movie. I know they didn't spend all that long before telling you anyway, but it could have been a lot better if you didn't know and they spent more time with the guy figuring it out. I was also pretty let down by the ending too, as mentioned by others. And the reason for it happening in the first place...kinda meh to me. Good premise, unless you've read the X-Men comic, but just not executed as well as I would have liked. Not terrible either, but not enough for me to recommend it to others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
If you know nothing about Radius going into it, is worth a watch?

spronk

FPS noob
apostle is out, good/bad/"netflix meh"?
Apostle | Netflix Official Site

Overview:
The year is 1905. Thomas Richardson travels to a remote island to rescue his sister after she's kidnapped by a mysterious religious cult demanding a ransom for her safe return. It soon becomes clear that the cult will regret the day it baited this man, as he digs deeper and deeper into the secrets and lies upon which the commune is built.

Starring: Dan Stevens (Legion, Downton Abbey), Lucy Boynton, Michael Sheen

• 3Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Got a 3 month free voucher for Netflix for being a PS+ member.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
apostle is out, good/bad/"netflix meh"?
Apostle | Netflix Official Site

Overview:
The year is 1905. Thomas Richardson travels to a remote island to rescue his sister after she's kidnapped by a mysterious religious cult demanding a ransom for her safe return. It soon becomes clear that the cult will regret the day it baited this man, as he digs deeper and deeper into the secrets and lies upon which the commune is built.

Starring: Dan Stevens (Legion, Downton Abbey), Lucy Boynton, Michael Sheen

It has some cool moments and ideas, but it suffers from poor direction and camera-work. I'd probably give it a 6 or 7, but I'm not a big horror fan.

Caliane

It has some cool moments and ideas, but it suffers from poor direction and camera-work. I'd probably give it a 6 or 7, but I'm not a big horror fan.
does he put on a furry costume and punch a lady in the face?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

its about a man going to visit a remote island cult commune in search of a family member..
tumblr_m3u8zbdjNT1qhwjmvo1_400.gif

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
its about a man going to visit a remote island cult commune in search of a family member..

Shit, I completely forgot about that wicker man scene and thought you were just trying to make a joke about the furry/attention whore thread. Sorry homie.

No punching bears, unfortunately. It doesn't try to be camp at all, just bleak and graphic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
kind of a strange thing to just happen upon but there's a completely Euskara movie that is a Netflix original up right now called Errementari. Pretty decent movie that involves a lot of Basque folklore. Looks like it defaults to English overdub and it has some great actors doing the voices but watching in Basque with English subtitles was a nice way to go especially since I've only ever gotten to speak or hear it before with very few people here in the US

Caliane

I really wish Netflix would display native language in its details, or even in the main picture. its kindof annoying to pick a neat looking movie, and find out its not in English only after starting it up.

yeah, Errementari is a fun fairytale. super campy makeup FX. I watched in English, since I tend to watch things on Netflix while working. and can't watch the screen nonstop, to read.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The thing that struck me the most when watching Radius was that I really, really wished that they hadn't told me what was going on in the description/trailer for the movie. I know they didn't spend all that long before telling you anyway, but it could have been a lot better if you didn't know and they spent more time with the guy figuring it out. I was also pretty let down by the ending too, as mentioned by others. And the reason for it happening in the first place...kinda meh to me. Good premise, unless you've read the X-Men comic, but just not executed as well as I would have liked. Not terrible either, but not enough for me to recommend it to others.

Think I posted it here after my Sunday Netflix binge but the first thirty minutes or so of Radius was the best comedy I've seen in a decade. Just a whole movie of him trying to figure out wtf is going on would have been hilarious.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's really frigging frustrating that you can't filter by language. Half the shit on Canadian Netflix isn't in English and there isn't a method to filter out any of it. I'm getting tired of having to sort through Bollywood garbage and all of the rest of it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Watched the new Sandler special (100% Fresh) on a whim and was pleasantly suprised. If you grew up listening to his old stand up/cd's you might enjoy it too. Don't wanna spoil anything but he does a nice tribute towards the end that hit me right in the feels. He's been comedically irrelevant to me since like the Wedding Singer, but this was surprisingly not completely terrible.