The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Referees Defeat Detroit Lions 24-20 In Thrilling Wild Card Game - The Daily Currant

"We almost beat ourselves," admits Charles Gandil, the game's crew chief, "We announced a pass interference penalty that would have kept alive a key fourth-quarter dive.

"But then we dug deep, found our second wind and we picked up that flag."

The Referees' victory means that the hometown Dallas Coyboys will advance to the divisional playoff round next week against the Green Bay Packers.

"The Coyboys and the Packers have the two largest fan bases in the country," explains Gandil. "The ratings are going to be huge. We weren't about to let a mid-market team sneak into the next round just because they played a better game."

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No fucking shit, Sherlock. Plenty of people realize that the NFL is littered with no-calls. Holding happens on almost every single down in the NFL. What has people in such an uproar is the fact that they threw the flag, ANNOUNCED the penalty, then got screamed at/the word from Blandino that the fix was in, and picked it up. I've literally never seen that happen in 20+ years of watching NFL football. I've seen them pick up flags plenty of times, but picking them up AFTER announcing the penalty? Had they just not thrown a flag at all there would've still been plenty of bitching, but I, for one, wouldn't be nearly as upset about it.
You seem really upset

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'd be pretty upset if I were a Detroit fan. Taking back the PI call after having announced the penalty is something I can't recall ever seeing before. Given the fact that it was a playoff game I can somewhat understand the no call on Dez running onto the field without his helmet but it's still a pretty messed up situation, especially given the circumstances.

My biggest gripe is just how different some of these games have been called. It feels like Dallas' O line would have been called for holding every other down if it were the Car/Ari crew reffing the game. I think that Seattle is hoping they get whoever reffed the Dallas game throughout the playoffs. I normally hate people who complain about refs but it's just been horribly inconsistent so far - they need to decide exactly where the line is going to be drawn and stick with it instead of having every officiating crew make arbitrary decisions and hoping that the players adjust based on what type of game is being called.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I must have missed the called penalty and then flag pickup. That's fucked up if that happened.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
As salty as I am about the Cowgirls winning because of refs, it won't change how salty I am about the Patriots winning the Superbowl in a month. If there is one thing we can all agree, its fuck the Patriots.

As salty as I am about the Cowgirls winning because of refs, it won't change how salty I am about the Patriots winning the Superbowl in a month. If there is one thing we can all agree, its fuck the Patriots.
Patriots aren't beating anyone who comes out of the nfc. Maybe the Panthers if they somehow get forfeits out of the other nfc team's.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You should be less salty at the flag pickup and more pissed off the retards got a delay of game penalty instead of getting a chance to get a yard for the first on their own.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The closest I can come up with in memory is from CFB so not 100% applicable in the strictest sense.

Auburn vs. LSU in 2006. PI is called on Auburn, announced in the stadium, yardage is actually walked off, and then reviewed and waived off. (we won the game, kthxbtw)

There was also another controversial PI call in that game, but it doesn't fit the situation.