The Official Guitar Thread

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That EHX looks more straight forward that the Rc-1. I'm seeing them on reverb for about $100 dollars used.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I want to get a new looper. I've outgrown my RC-2. I want patches and stuff.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Recently came across Neural DSP plug ins and hadn't seen them before. Pretty sure I am gonna go with the Nolly for checking out first but all of them seem pretty fantastic. They have some others but these based on the artists preferences are pretty kick ass

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I picked up Nolly and demoed Nameless Suite. Didn't care for nameless suite but nolly is fuckin great.

Also picked up a kiesel
IMG_20191120_210524.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have an interesting set up I've been slowly working on. I grabbed a Radial J48 for a direct in to my Apollo twin(ch 1). From the J48 thru jack I send the signal to my pedalboard > mesa boogie > Torpedo Live > Apollo Twin(ch 2)

End up with a plain jane signal I can pass through plug ins(nolly or whatever) plus my main signal. Getting all the levels correct is a bit tricky at times but so far is pretty good.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So an elf left something for me this year. Here is the photo before I fuck it up somehow and end up down at the guitar repair shop later this week. :)

IMG_20191230_103428.jpg

This will be my biggest soldering job so far.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Smart to take a phonto before you dig in. You never know you need it so bad till you don't have it.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Just pre-ordered the new PRS SE SVN Holcomb 7-string in the Walnut finish. I need a 'beater' 7 string that I can take to Afghanistan.. Not bringing my Mayones out here..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Almost got it done, just need to do the output jack and the battery. Definitely not my best job soldering.

IMG_20200101_203923 (1).jpg

Borzak

I've seen a few factory guitars that are not so great in the solder on the pots and pickups.

sukik

Do you guys watch any infotainment type music channels? I always go down the rabbit hole of enthusiast channels when I pick up a new hobby. Last year it was bicycles, this year it's definitely been/going to be music.

Here are a few guitar focused channels I watch regularly. A lot of these people inspire me to want to play more. I'd be interested in finding more like them. As always with YouTube some are part entertainment, part sales, part educational information.

Rick Beato. Former music producer and educator. Plays multiple instruments. This guys enthusiasm when it comes to music is what made me pick up a guitar again. He has a series called 'What makes this song great' where he breaks down what he things makes songs popular from a music production standpoint. He also does videos on music theory and the industry.

Brad The Guitologist. Musician, amp & guitar tech. Plays multiple stringed instruments. Focuses mostly on vintage amp and guitar repair. Has a series called 'Shit Post Friday' where he talks about the music industry. Refreshingly non-PC.

The Trogly Guitar Show. Plays guitar. Online guitar seller specializing in Gibson's turned guitar documenter and maybe collector. He buys and sells guitars online and documents each one with a video. He specialized in Gibson but has branched out into Fenders and other guitars. And he named his show after Trogdor the burninator.

Phil Mcknight. Former store owner that made basses for a short time. Plays bass and guitar. He does a lot of gear demos and has many videos on guitar repair. Has a series of videos that is basically 'Pimp my ride' for guitars. Also does a weekly Q&A.

Jonathan Koh. Studio and touring musician in Singapore. Plays guitar. Reviews guitars that usually opens with multi track jam sessions where he's demonstrating the instrument.

Tim Pierce. Studio musician. Guitar player. Talks about some of the work he's done, has online guitar lessons.

Rhett Shull. Touring guitar player, apprenticed to Rick Beato when he still did music production. Talks gear, music and life as a touring musician.

Five Watt World. Guitar minimalist. Has an ongoing series of guitar histories.

Here's a list of some of the others I ocassionaly watch.
60 cycle hum - surf rock enthusiast & gear demo
Agufish - gear demo
Adam Neely - touring bassist
BigDGuitars - professional luthier
Circle of Tone - tone replication
Darrell Braun Guitar - general guitar ed
Dave's World of Fun - guitar tech/repair/bassist
Guitar Max - gear demo
Guns and Guitars - gear demo
Lucas Fowler - working musician
Rabea Massad - working musician, gear demo
Marty Music - lessons
Music is Win - working musician, demos
Nahre Sol - working musician
Ola Englund - working musician
Pebber Brown - lessons, old school
Pete Thorn - working musician
Robert Baker - lessons
The Punk Rock MBA - music industry
Tone-Talk - Dave Friedman and Marc Huzasky podcast.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Big fan of Rick Beato, I even bought his book when he had a 40% off thing a month or so ago. I'd like to do his ear training course but also don't want to toss him $200 for it. I've checked out a lot on your list but see some I'll need to check out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Big fan of Rick Beato, I even bought his book when he had a 40% off thing a month or so ago. I'd like to do his ear training course but also don't want to toss him $200 for it. I've checked out a lot on your list but see some I'll need to check out
I got his book on the same sale and have been working through it, he's definitely earned the sale from all the entertainment I've gotten from his channel the last few months. But 200 is a lot more, will see if it goes down eventually. I know ear development is going to be hard to do long term. I stated doing an interval training app but it's very simplistic compared to what he has in his program.

Ola is great. He's our age, games hard core, and plays death metal. Sounds great
I just started watching his channel. I like his playing and his positive attitude.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got his book on the same sale and have been working through it, he's definitely earned the sale from all the entertainment I've gotten from his channel the last few months. But 200 is a lot more, will see if it goes down eventually. I know ear development is going to be hard to do long term. I stated doing an interval training app but it's very simplistic compared to what he has in his program.

I just started watching his channel. I like his playing and his positive attitude.
He's a great guy. I remember when he started just by doing amp demos and then blew up

Borzak

Been working on my pedal steel sound out of my telecaster. I think I'm going to try to drop down string size from 10's to 9's. Lot of bends which I normally don't do a lot of of. Lot of full and half steps. The biggest improvement would come from more practice but we'll see.

Of course if I had a pedal steel guitar. Not that their that expensive just hard to find and even harder to find someone that plays it that could teach it.

Been going through some of those channels and checking them out. Thanks.