The Official Guitar Thread

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That DeoxIT stuff is great. The coil tap in the tone switch works great now. No more scratchiness or neck pickup cutting out. Dosed everything with the stuff, let it set for 10 minutes then took my 90 cfm computer duster and blew everything out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I almost have everything for my partscaster, just waiting on the mint green pickguard. Snagged a MiM vintage 50s strat body, a maple warmoth neck, fender locking tuners and recently got a nice deal on a loaded pickguard with "everything axe" pickups. Once I get the mint pickguard I am gonna do the wiring that will have 2 toggles. First toggle will be neck pickup always on, the second will split the neck and bridge pickups. All in all I am into it for a little over $550.

Also, found a nice deal on a two notes torpedo live. Now I am just running Mark IV > torpedo Live > UA Apollo Twin. Sounds really fucking good and my neighbors like me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's a great price point for a custom guitar. I built this guitar while I was in high school and I can't believe it's still one of my favorite guitars 15 years later. Although I don't have GAS and I'm really happy with the custom Carvin I had built in 2009. I just want to buy a nice fixed bridge 24 fret guitar for alternate tuning experiments because even drop D with a Wilkinson system throws everything out of whack. Though the previously posted Taylor 714 is mostly what I play these days. Fucking love that guitar.

q5aK0sqYEhPYYDOTtlZD1I3XeINS3lNMq2qcAVpL8rBAbHDwO3kIwQ9voaZWajzjRXBWIVSBBE4lhYDrtdrIk0dxmpRRZthoxU4oJeMprAhGHGQDt_p_CYcGYhyJH_m7D0eknQso0tmXeFSfDAxae5aLJTe6yzRRqbtg09nE2t29g-MrPElRMfOKjtxlUq44StaocbZYDdYHUtwNeywawzFZtGgl9k9yk5BY4yKxfTaPpgLpPUGz6WvcPbpKlbNDkJ6Zv84Qv7hiUuFR11OnXdOQmkghnwjS_ssF6kMWZGA9MoIHqRjGfPhdQ9Jq6g1Pf8YDm-hu-qqsyevYkA5mzxyOt_Oij6PAbSAzyEIRh4CTVYCNgfpx6dNX7nUsrbVupSYSXcAktFy6kRadAm1x0FBXpyXQs2zKxTZFLdPxLGk89_fYPL6ruAsL4yep6_5wX4XirQG8GYUqYFqVgAx7R58zNFQFeqhigdlY95Pm3Gb_IUmi819O6iPDJ87dUfmvrn-H5xHpav8tATdJCIQZMWhFKbwsT_7NGsePRHFmHELED4E5WwcgkANjVVFtfX_TkOY9hNRUEk8V-t7DDEcKCIz1iyJZytWLA-Gj2gvQG1ixbGLRyhw97Yuky_SuF-2nB7eMO7AxYxji4rjz1AAHEchBVOaiV8ws6TUdvd1AVXZNqEyzDGZz6w=w681-h907-no

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's a lot more I wish I could do with my Les Paul, but alternate tunings at least are a breeze.

And every serious guitar collection should contain at least one LP, no?

• 1Solidarity

sukik

Single cut guitars with humbuckers have always been my favorite. I bought a Thomann house brand b-stock single cut to serve as a base for modding since I gave away my epi LP sunburst years ago. The Yamaha I have I'd kept for sentimental value and I really never liked playing it, even though there's nothing wrong with it. I'd been looking for a hobby besides gaming I can really geek out on and I think I found it in learning guitar/keys, music theory and gear.

• 2Like

sukik

More adventures is amateur guitar repair. China post arrived the other day with my screws. The head is hex and it has no taper but besides that it fits pretty well. Works a lot better than the tin screw someone had stuck in it to keep the pickup cover from popping out. Almost makes me want to finish cleaning it up and restring it but I'm going to wait till I get some cleaners for the fret board, and I'm not going to be playing this one anytime soon. It took me a while of adjusting with the bridge to get the E string to stop buzzing around the 5th-7th fret.

screws.jpg
pickups.jpg

Moved on to trying to fix my acoustic. The last time I tried to restring it the saddle kept popping out so I just put it away since I wasn't really interested in playing at the time. Between then and now I'd lost the original saddle and pegs so I had to order those. I also notice that the saddle slot was rounded out pretty bad, kinda like figure 1. The only solution I could find that made sense online was to square it out with a chisel (fig 2). So I did that and it doesn't looks like it's moved in two weeks, even though it has what looks to me like a slight lean. If it looks too indented when I change the strings next I'll order a saddle that's a little larger and sand it down till it's really snug. Can see where it's chipped from popping out. I don't think the guitar is worth having a pro put a new bridge on it. It's an Alvarez Artist 5020m that they only sold for a couple years in the mid 90's. It was new when I got it.

saddle slot.jpg
bridge above.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got my mint pickguard and got the partscaster put together. Pretty happy with the results for a bit over $600. If I was to do it again I think I would have skipped the "Everything Axe" pickups. Turns out the pickup covers are glued on and I was intending to put on black covers with black knobs . Still looks awesome and I'll keep an eye out for used JB Jr.'s, Little '59's or maybe some Red Devils to swap in over time. Best of all it plays great.

IMG_20191015_150430.jpg

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Had every string sounding

The 3/4 scale of this Little Martin is actually kind of cool haha

received_767402983712277.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Had a little jam session with a buddy of mine at work, maybe 40 minutes. Hadn't played with anyone in a couple years, so it was pretty nice to get back to it. Will probably make it a fairly regular Friday thing. Only shitty thing is hauling my bass amp around, need to get a decent little 1x12 or 2 x 10 combo to replace the 1x15.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Elite series replaced by

Fender Ultra Series. was expecting some more/something else.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Had a little jam session with a buddy of mine at work, maybe 40 minutes. Hadn't played with anyone in a couple years, so it was pretty nice to get back to it. Will probably make it a fairly regular Friday thing. Only shitty thing is hauling my bass amp around, need to get a decent little 1x12 or 2 x 10 combo to replace the 1x15.

I haul a 4x12 whether it’s appropriate or not. It’s easier in a certain respect since it can be moved like a hand truck and has rails on the back that enable sliding it into the truck.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They definetlty pushed the sizzle instead of steak. It looked OK but I think most of the budget went to marketing.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I picked up a Fender Ultra Strat earlier today. All of my guitars are humbucker based (LP's, PRS, Gretsch Panther) except one old '83 Fender Elite with the noisy pickups. The neck on my old Strat just hasn't held up through the years, and quite honestly I let it collect dust due to it being so temperamental. I've been debating on getting another SSS guitar in my lineup and after playing the new Ultra I was sold. The difference in the neck from last year's elites is noticeable. All in all, I'm glad I made the purchase. Sounds like a beast through my GIlmour presets on my Fractal III. Picked up the "Texas Tea" color with the copper/metal pickguard.

strat.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Does anyone use a looper pedal? I'm looking for something to more easily practice improv/solo parts. I can already record through my computer and play back, but a looper seems like a good Idea. I've also seen people practice using an EHX freeze as a drone that they'll use to practice different scale patterns over.

Did some some basic maintenance on my Yamaha and Alvarez. Both had some dents in the frets and the fret boards were pretty gunked up. The fret boards cleaned up very nicely using the dunlop lemon oil stuff. The kit also came with a body polish that worked pretty well. I had to take some 0000 steel wool to the fret board to get some of it out. I also sanded the divots and dents out of the frets then re crowned & polished them. Didn't end up taking much material off since the fret levels were still fine. All in all a pretty fun experience. They feel much better with new strings and polished frets. I think I want to roll the edges of my new guitar(last image). The jatoba fretboard was pretty thirsty and looks a lot better with some lemon oil it it. It doesn't feel too bad but I want to see what it feels like with rounder edges and a little better fret end work. The frets were already in great shape but I put a little polish on it since I was doing the others.

IMG_20191108_212716.jpg

IMG_20191109_151006.jpg

IMG_20191106_182533.jpg

IMG_20191106_182514.jpg

IMG_20191106_214237.jpg

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I've got a few loopers, my favorite for features and ease of use is the Electro Harmonix 720. The Boss loopers are all pretty solid, the only downside is that The RC-1 is a bit clunky to use live but it doesn't sound like that'd be an issue for what you're wanting to use it for

• 1Like